post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
Jul 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #1,621 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes indeed, just using MSRP as a rough idea of what they'll cost used/dealer demo or new.

I agree good headphones are fully capable of reproducing timbre, detail and micro dynamics. But I can just never get the feeling that there's a jazz concert taking place in front of me. I'm always hearing these miniature instruments floating around my head (which is why I like headphones, they're very intimate). The HP-2 and K1000 are actually very good at somewhat painting that picture because like you said good headphones are capable of such finite resolution; it's just not completely convincing to my brain.

you should try baby O or the big O...quite unlike any headphone I have ever heard. It sound like......oh..here it comes...........................speakers. yes quite literally like there are sound everywhere, in front of you around you, quite an amazing experience actually. But for the admission of a baby O plus a good amp you might as well just go for spkr
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #1,623 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should try baby O or the big O...quite unlike any headphone I have ever heard. It sound like......oh..here it comes...........................speakers. yes quite literally like there are sound everywhere, in front of you around you, quite an amazing experience actually. But for the admission of a baby O plus a good amp you might as well just go for spkr
redface.gif

There's some truth in that!
biggrin.gif
the Baby O (can't speak for the big O) does reproduce ambience pretty convincingly, especially if the source is up to the job. Some of the sounds actually appear to be coming from in front of you and not in between your ears! Of course, speakers still have it beat for real soundstage...

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #1,624 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif

I have to disagree: they still sound like headphones, and I've heard them on the matching system with an EMM Labs transport/DAC combo. Granted, they sound a lot speaker-like than most headphones (so do the K1000s, Qualia, Omega 2s), they still sound like headphones.

All the headphones I've mentioned, to my ears, are capable of projecting a frontal image somewhat, although some does it better than others.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #1,625 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Das Boot:

Total_System_June_07.jpg

Quite some rig to have on a boat (I guess its a huge ship).
But if you spend more time there than at home it makes sense.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #1,626 of 6,467
Finally got an audio rack
tongue.gif

p1010219rr3.jpg

p1010221ik5.jpg

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #1,628 of 6,467
The 2500s are with my 580s on my nightstand with the bedside rig, and the 750s were sold a little while ago.. Gotta change the sig
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #1,630 of 6,467
nice Accuras. Team Accura FTW.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #1,631 of 6,467
Moved back to London for the summer, and my room is all jumbled up and put back together. I have lost my favourite listening chair (sob!) but gained much in return. (actually the listening chair is now just downstairs, chilling out where my big speakers had to go, but no matter...)

So... what did I gain?...
DSCF1365.jpg

CD Racks....

DSCF1367.jpg

More CD racks...

DSCF1368.jpg

Same old tower...

DSCF1371.jpg

My faithful smurfs, guardians of the amplifier output switch....

DSCF1374.jpg

In my desk-cave, where the last of the CD's live. Note the....

DSCF1377.jpg

Deluxe fitted headphone stand... OR... a couple of bits of wood, delicately rammed into the shelf...

And, last but by no means least, is my new desk chair. Alas, night-time photography is not my camera's strong point, but here she is. The ikea Karsten.
DSCF1378.jpg

Actually a majorly cool upgrade. The chair works as a normal upright desk chair for when I need to use the desk to write (or post on head-fi) and then at the swift pushing of a lever, it leans back a fair way, so I can lay back right into that groove.

It's not my old chair (sob... again!) but whilst I am still living in a room the size of a large shoebox, it's the best I'm likely to get...

Next upgrade is my livewires, which should be here in a couple of weeks... The curse runs strong in me....

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #1,632 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite some rig to have on a boat (I guess its a huge ship).
But if you spend more time there than at home it makes sense.
tongue.gif

Way too much time......................

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #1,634 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way too much time......................

Then it totally make sense to have such an intense headphone rig on the boat.
Or else the 'phones would collect dust at home...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #1,635 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it totally make sense to have such an intense headphone rig on the boat.
Or else the 'phones would collect dust at home...
very_evil_smiley.gif

True enough, only I can't listen to the Omega II's because of a noisy vent in my stateroom. This is why I bought the 4070's. I am looking forward to hearing your impressions when yours arrive. I don't think the SRM-727 is powerful enough to drive them. I think for an amp, I am going to order a Headamp Special Edition Blue Hawaii a little later this year.

I am in the process of trying to buy some Lambdas from a fellow Head Fier. It has been a long time since I heard them, and it will be fun to compare them.

Cheers,

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back