POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Nov 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #2,296 of 2,461
A little update, which I forgot to give
redface.gif
The store where I placed an order for 600 ohm drivers and I agreed with each other, that they would call me if the price would turn out to be higher than I expected. I expected something around €100 (2*€48,6+shipping), which seemed reasonable. But after a while they called me: the price turned out to be around €80 per driver. That would get me to a total of €160, that was WAY more than I was prepared to pay for just 2 drivers.
There was a nice fellow here on Head-fi, who offered me his drivers for a very reasonable price (that was before I went to the shop to buy brand-new). I turned his offer down, I wanted certainty that I got the drivers unharmed, so I decided to go to that shop first.
Shortly after that, I had to deal with a couple of financial setbacks. I'm on a fairly tight budget now, so there was (and is) no room to buy some luxury items like headphone drivers.

So that's that, no FrankenDarths for me anytime soon
frown.gif
Of course, I'm still really enjoying my Darths! Maybe I'll transform them into FrankenDarths in the future, but that just won't happen anytime soon.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2,297 of 2,461
Just received these pics. from Headphile Larry. These are my second pair of v.2 Vixen/HF-2 . They are Swirly Bubinga and Ebony. The cable is his new BlackTop (a solid, thicker Copper [not strand Copper]) .........was going to compare first pair with a new pair to be BlackMax, then changed my mind and decided to try the BlackTop to see if there is a clear difference to me......s-o-o-o-o..........here they are:

BubingaEbony.jpg

and

BubingaEbony2.jpg

can hardly wait for them to arrive. BTW - I've found they are best without any foam on them at all.....and the drivers are positioned close to the ear so the mids are quite up to expectations with Grado, and bass is not at all deficient.....rather good
smily_headphones1.gif
- this from experience with first pair.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #2,298 of 2,461
NICE Bob! Very nice.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #2,302 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody buy anything new from headphile?

Been a while since there was a "deal", eh?

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2,304 of 2,461
No, but I have been enjoying the DT770/600 with the Deep Cup so much I have been starting to think it would be fun to order a pair of standard terminators with the 600 ohm drivers. I have been watching the Deals page to see if an interesting wood comes up, but Larry has been pretty quiet lately...

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #2,305 of 2,461
Two updates for me:

a) I sent Larry a pair of 2005 dt770/600 drivers (gotten from Beyerdynamic) for him to put into a pair of Blister Koa Terminators, but there was something wrong with one of them......so, sent them back to Beyer for replacement. The job will get done, eventually. I'll see if it makes an appreciable difference.

b) Just finished discussing the transformation of my 3rd pair of HF-2 into Vixen. This time they will be Amboyna Burl with Blacktop cabling and freeform CJC. My first pair of Vixen were BlackCopper, but decided I prefer BlackTop as in my 2nd pair. You see, I decided there would not be a time I'd go back to stock Hf-2 (much preferring the Vixen mod.).

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2,306 of 2,461
Skylab, did you stick the DT770/600 drivers into the VXD3 or the VXD4? Any ideas on how the two cups would differ in sound with the 600ohm drivers?

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #2,307 of 2,461
I only put the 600 ohm drivers in the two VXD4 pairs I had. I then sold my VXD3's. But I have to believe the 600 ohm drivers would sound better in the VXD3's, too, because they are just way better sounding drivers.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #2,308 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only put the 600 ohm drivers in the two VXD4 pairs I had. I then sold my VXD3's. But I have to believe the 600 ohm drivers would sound better in the VXD3's, too, because they are just way better sounding drivers.

Hi guys, I am going to be buying a Darth Beyer hopefully, if Larry hurries up with the deals already :p

I was just wondering if anyone has tried putting 600ohm DT990 drivers in these beasts and if not, why has it not been tried yet!

Also has anyone tried Marks custom Wood Denon series in comparison to Larry's Deep cup Darth Beyers? A review would be good as they are practically both aimed at the same niche market (expensive wood modded bass monsters, lol).

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #2,309 of 2,461
Nice to see Larry with some Deals upcoming! The 600 ohm driver Deep Darths are his best ever.

I'm not sure how the DT990 drivers would work in a sealed headphone...

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2,310 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see Larry with some Deals upcoming! The 600 ohm driver Deep Darths are his best ever.

I'm not sure how the DT990 drivers would work in a sealed headphone...

Yep, I plan on getting those Deep cup Darths in 600 ohm, so no one touch em or I'll kill you bastards!!!! lol.

Oh right, of course the DT990 driver wouldn't work well, what was I thinking! Well I guess I was thinking I like the 990 better than 770 so I wanted that driver, but obviously I didn't think about it very well :p

BTW, big fan of your reviews skylab, you seem to have very similar taste in headphones to me, I want to own basically every headphone in your sig but can't afford them all >.<

I'm was pretty much tossing up between Darth Beyer's and Modded Denons. At this stage I'm pretty set on the Darth's
icon10.gif
unless a denon fan can persuade me otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back