POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Oct 22, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #2,281 of 2,461
I think a decision has been made for me: I don't think I can get my hands on 600 Ohm drivers. I contacted Beyerdynamic and they said to me that they only ship spare parts to Germany. I live in the Netherlands, so they said that I would have to contact one of their market partners here in the Netherlands. But none of them seem to sell spare parts. The majority of dealers only sells Beyer aviation products and the few that also sell costumer products don't have spare parts in their assortment.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #2,282 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a decision has been made for me: I don't think I can get my hands on 600 Ohm drivers. I contacted Beyerdynamic and they said to me that they only ship spare parts to Germany. I live in the Netherlands, so they said that I would have to contact one of their market partners here in the Netherlands. But none of them seem to sell spare parts. The majority of dealers only sells Beyer aviation products and the few that also sell costumer products don't have spare parts in their assortment.

HNNY is the distributor for Benelux. You can ask them to order them for you.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #2,283 of 2,461
Musikhaus Thomann (in Germany) has had the ability to furnish Beyer parts - write/speak to one of their customer service people if the drivers are not in THEIR catalog. I feel sure they will be able to help you...........just as I like helping you to spend more money
smily_headphones1.gif

I am surprised that a market-partner, if called, would not help despite the item not being on their webpage.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2,284 of 2,461
Here are the pics of The Vixen w/HF-2 drivers, Waterfall Bubinga wood, velour earpads, and BlkCopper cabling
2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Expect they'll arrive Tuesday........will start their burning-in, and after thirty hours will listen to them for the first time via Pico dac/KICAS Caliente, then also Pico dac/EAR HP4 (with Tung Sols in rear tube positions). Then, re-commence burning-in until 150 hours is completed. ........I can hardly wait to listen to them
smily_headphones1.gif
and learn what may have transpired.
I debated on posting them in this thread - but, figured it's kind of in the family.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2,286 of 2,461
NIIIIICE! Good job Bob
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #2,287 of 2,461
Both HNNY and Thomann aren't in a position to sell me drivers: Thomann only sells spare-parts for equipment that can be bought from them (their email was in German, but I'm pretty sure that this was what they meant to say) and HNNY doesn't sell to end-users. I'm referred to the retailer where I bought my DT770 (which I don't have). So, I'm starting to think that I have to buy a complete DT770/600 and take the drivers out of them (and solder the DT770/80 drivers in that housing, if I don't destroy them in the soldering process). One way or the other, I WILL get my hands on those drivers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I still have a few tricks up my sleeve (thanks BushGuy), I'll keep you guys posted.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #2,289 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both HNNY and Thomann aren't in a position to sell me drivers: Thomann only sells spare-parts for equipment that can be bought from them (their email was in German, but I'm pretty sure that this was what they meant to say) and HNNY doesn't sell to end-users. I'm referred to the retailer where I bought my DT770 (which I don't have). So, I'm starting to think that I have to buy a complete DT770/600 and take the drivers out of them (and solder the DT770/80 drivers in that housing, if I don't destroy them in the soldering process). One way or the other, I WILL get my hands on those drivers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I still have a few tricks up my sleeve (thanks BushGuy), I'll keep you guys posted.

I have a pair of unused DT770/600 drivers. PM me if you're interested.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #2,290 of 2,461
Whoa, you modded an HF2? You have some guts!

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #2,291 of 2,461
So, I just ordered a pair of 600 ohm drivers. Thanks again XXII for your offer and BushGuy for pointing me in the right direction. (It wasn't exactly right, but the nice people there sent me to the place where I should go and they ordered some drivers for me
smily_headphones1.gif
)
They couldn't give me an ETA, but there's also no big hurry, still enjoying my current Darths.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #2,292 of 2,461
Ford2 - generally, using drivers engineered for a closed headphone do not tend to do their best in an open headphone. However, suggest that Larry will be of some help in guiding you - if you ask him.

Oldskoolboarder - I hate to throw old Chestnuts about, but as they say - No guts - no glory.

I'm at 50 hours now with The Vixen/HF-2 drivers. Normally, Grado are horrible until you pass 30 hours. In this instance it has been a little bit longer for my ears......but, they have improved greatly in the last dozen hours. I think they still may achieve my goals (PS1000-like performance without the size and weight, plus total comfort). I can state, with great certitude, that the Bass in this configuration surpasses Bass produced the stock HF-2/Bowls. It may also surpass the often-sought PS-1 which still has the Grado "comfort" factor. They are a bit warmer than stock and I think the soundstage may have been expanded slightly................the answers will NOT really be in until 150 hours. So, clearly, what I've said is purely tentative.

I WILL say, however, my feeling is the best choices for this use may be HF-2 or Joe Grado drivers.

Thanks Highflyin9, and Skylab for your kind comments.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2,293 of 2,461
Well, they're some hours past the 150hours and I can say if you like your stock HF2 (which I do/did) you'll be overwhelmed by the difference with the Vixen.
However, still not doing a review because I decided to see what they're like with BlackMax cabling instead of my pair that have BlackCopper - so have ordered another pair to be done (Black Palm wood, and BlackMax). I can state, however, that there two huge changes IMO - whereas I'd call the stock bass as adequate with bowls - there is now more, and the "soundstage" has gotten very much larger. I put on RS-1/flats last night as part of another kind of comparison and found if you A/B the two 'phones - it makes the stage of the RS-1 seem shockingly tiny. But, I'm still going to retain my RS-1's ........there is always room for my old RS-1/flats, Vixen HF2, and X-Deep 600ohm Darths . Will say, as daily choices I'm seeing - when closed is needed = X-Deep 600ohm, otherwise Vixen HF2 as the primary choice for open. I like these Vixens - but, no real review until the Blk Palm/BlkMax pair arrive and get a decent listening (but, the HF-2 being sent for "destruction" have burned-in drivers).

I like to wear them with a loose seal (as I also do with Darths). Also went a step further toward opening things up by piercing the velour pads with a leather awl all around - don't know if it made any real difference, but it can't hurt.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #2,294 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are the pics of The Vixen w/HF-2 drivers, Waterfall Bubinga wood, velour earpads, and BlkCopper cabling
2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Expect they'll arrive Tuesday........will start their burning-in, and after thirty hours will listen to them for the first time via Pico dac/KICAS Caliente, then also Pico dac/EAR HP4 (with Tung Sols in rear tube positions). Then, re-commence burning-in until 150 hours is completed. ........I can hardly wait to listen to them
smily_headphones1.gif
and learn what may have transpired.
I debated on posting them in this thread - but, figured it's kind of in the family.

Have you heard the He-5 or LCD2? How do these Vixens compare?

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2,295 of 2,461
Sorry, I can't be helpful there, since I haven't heard those two. Beyer, Headphile, and Grado keep me up to my ears in headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back