POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Sep 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #2,266 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.......I like the name FrankenDarths - it's a distinctive name.

Thanks
biggrin.gif
I agree of course...

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #2,268 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im thinking about putting 600ohm in my v4s.

Oh yeah? Well, just let me know if you want them sent to Larry then.

I can't afford it but I am still undecided. I need more $$ to give me more options.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2,269 of 2,461
Im not sure yet what I want to do with them at the moment. I want to save up for a nice tube amp which will take me a little while. Who knows. I might wake up one day and just decide to do it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #2,270 of 2,461
still these things test me even after 3 years of lurking.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #2,272 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just joined Team Ebony.

Looking forward to a shipping notice in a coupla weeks!!

Not looking forward to my bank statement arriving in the mail....

Slattikarma, not sure if you are familiar with this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bla...-vader-245881/

It's an oldie, but there are some nice pics of Ebonies.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #2,273 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, has anyone else noticed that the Headphile deals page, now contains

VXD5 deep-cup, with 600ohm drivers?

darthsmile.gif

I don't see these any more.

Who got them? Anybody here do it?

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #2,274 of 2,461
The writer was referring to 2 deals that were actually proposals offered on the Deal Page - but not actually built for sale. Part of their attraction was the particularly hard- to-find woods were to be used. It was only after Skylab and myself had made several mentions re our experience with the 600ohm drivers that Larry included that feature in those two offerings - IOW they were to be intended as truly deluxe Include The Kitchen Sink examples. Why they are now gone from the offerings pages, I don't know. They were never offered in the usual Deal Pages manner.
I can say I have sent Larry 2 additional X-Deeps w/600ohm drivers for transplant, and Skylab sent him an additional pair to do the same. What I'm REALLY waiting to hear is my forthcoming "The Vixen" with HF-2 drivers - having very high hopes for that combo.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #2,275 of 2,461
Well, "BushGguy the Merciful" -- maybe the fact that they are gone, simply means that they have been ordered by someone, and are now actually in the "build" pipeline, which is how Larry said in their deal wrtie-ups.

He did say that they will be built to specs of the buyers.

I wonder who got them?

PS -- I hope the Vixens are great!

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2,276 of 2,461
...............or, the easiest way to find out is to write Larry and place an order - maybe choosing the Old Growth Rosewood pair? They'd be quite cool. Step up young men. Be brave. Who will be the first?
Then, there would be no question

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #2,277 of 2,461
Any more words on the FrankenDarths? ATM, it sounds like something I might try. But, how big are the differences really? (I hope that the new-toy-syndrome is over for the very few who have their Deeps 'Frankened')
I read that the mids open up (a bit, or really noticeable?), the bass tightens and the highs extend more. I hope that the bass quantity and the impact doesn't change too much, because I really like how it sounds right now. FWIR, the '05 DT770 isn't (as) bass-heavy as the DT770 Pro, so that's kind of what I'm concerned of.
And how is the resolution of the 600 Ohm drivers? Is it higher than the 80 Ohm drivers? And how about the soundstaging and instrument separation. Do they sound more laid-back or more in-your-face?
I know these are a lot of questions, so thanks in advance for taking the trouble of answering them
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #2,278 of 2,461
The resolution of the 600 ohm Beyer drivers, is much, much higher than the 80 Pro drivers. Always has been - you can read lots of threads about the regular 600 ohm Beyer headphones.

There is definitely less bass to the FrankenDarth, although still plenty, IMO. The mids are much improved, though, very clean, and not at all reticent. Highs are more extended but not aggressive at all.

If you like what you have now, I don't recommend changing it. I like the 80-Pro based Darths, too - I am keeping one pair like that, but I had 2 pair FrankenDarthed (I did one pair, and sent Larry the other pair to do).

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #2,279 of 2,461
That's very helpful, thanks.

Of course I like what I have now, what's not to like?
wink.gif

I'm guessing that if even you think the FrankenDarths have enough bass, there is definately enough bass to enjoy
wink.gif

Especially the higher resolution will be a welcome improvement. I might try this, but still have to think about it. It could even be that I like the Pro drivers more than the 600 Ohm drivers (it happened before, with the DT990). I can always change things back if that happens.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #2,280 of 2,461
......and......the entirely unanswered question remains is whether the X-Deeps are the maximal application for 600ohm drivers, or whether improvement would be comparable for other Darth models? I'd suspect their best usage would remain with the X-Deeps..........but, don't know of the veracity of that supposition. One day somebody will do it and write some "tell all" posts
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back