POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Sep 25, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #2,251 of 2,461
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask all you Gabon Ebony darth owners what that wood looks like in person?

Is it easy to notice the grain, and does the wood stick out noticeably from the other plastic parts of the headphones?

It's quite hard to get a proper perspective of the Ebony Darths from photos, as the black wood seems to sort of just meld in with the plastic and lose the emphasis that the cups are made of wood. The wood ID pick on Larry's site almost looks like plastic.

cheers!

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #2,252 of 2,461
I just sent my Leopardwood VXD4 Deeps in to Larry for FrankenDarthing (600 ohm driver upgrade). I did the first pair myself, but having toasted a $56 driver in the process, I decided to have Larry do this pair. Looking forward to getting these back! The FrankenDarths are the best sounding Darths ever, and are getting the majority of my "head-time" these days.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #2,253 of 2,461
Funny, my other pairs X-Deeps (Koa, and Toned Korina) + 600ohm drivers are also in the hands of the USPS for their retrofitting. Heh heh.......got Larry to do my first pair - so no dead drivers for me
smily_headphones1.gif
Just wait until I get my hands on T1 drivers for Terminators.
X-Deeps with 600ohm drivers are unquestionably the best Darths of all and step up to the world-class category. Thanks to Sky--- for having thought of doing it, originally.
Can't help but notice that with HF-2 (to become Vixen), HP-2, and vintage RS-1 lying nearby - X-Deeps/600 ohm are the ones on my head.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #2,255 of 2,461
Possibly, but entirely rational when you consider what it takes to maintain my four Unicorn (a Bay, Chestnut, Palomino, and a Black).

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #2,256 of 2,461
Hey Guys,

I am now enjoying the Dark Side. I love mahogany, so Larry made it happen, and it is a work of art. Hard to wear something you just want to stare at
wink.gif

darthp.jpg

Picture taken by Larry. Wood a little darker and more brownish in person. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #2,257 of 2,461
That is the nicest piece of Mahogany I've seen on a Darth. Notice you also got a "freeform" CJC - my personal preference over the usual, and Gen. Leather Headband cover. Very good.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2,258 of 2,461
Where are you guys buying the 600 ohm drivers? I look on the beyer site and didnt see them.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #2,259 of 2,461
You have to call them to order them.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #2,260 of 2,461
Since I am Bushguy the Merciful - I'll go a step further re Driver ordering.
BeyerdynamicUSA is located in Farmingdale, NY. If you d/l their order form, you can fax to: 1 631 293 3288.

or by Phone: 1 631 293 3200 and go to Parts (now Pete Carini), or Operator. The Part # 935037 is for the current dt770/600 ohm driver (they're priced singly) .......so a pair will be $112.56 + $7 shipping.

........and NO, you won't be able to bribe anyone for a pair of T1 drivers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #2,262 of 2,461
Yep - I think Larry was impressed with the 600 ohm drivers when he did Bob's FrankenDarth's - so I guess I have to stop calling it that, and call it the VXD5 Sybaris
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2,263 of 2,461
No.......I like the name FrankenDarths - it's a distinctive name.
Using version numbers can sometimes lead to confusion. Despite what anyone else may say - I'm sticking with "FrankenDarths". Yeah, I'm a Conservative Rebel with an Unruly Mob name.
I also know of another new (pending) Larry creation - but have been sworn to secrecy under penalty of death to my first-born (if I opted to sire one).

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2,264 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.......I like the name FrankenDarths - it's a distinctive name.
Using version numbers can sometimes lead to confusion. Despite what anyone else may say - I'm sticking with "FrankenDarths". Yeah, I'm a Conservative Rebel with an Unruly Mob name.
I also know of another new (pending) Larry creation - but have been sworn to secrecy under penalty of death to my first-born (if I opted to sire one).

Uh, this new creation, is it above $500? Just asking b/c I am looking and do not want buyers remorse lol.

Btw, Deep V3 Darths vs Terminators. Pretty close in response but different in sound stage?

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,265 of 2,461
Spacemanspliff - In response to your last question - you're sitting much closer to the stage than you would otherwise. Suggest you comb thru Skylab posts - he tends to be more explicit than I. If you are also a Grado person - it comes fairly close to being a closed option.

OHOH - if you have the inclination (and a good amp) ......you might prefer finding a pair of used X-Deep Darths and installing dt770/600ohm drivers.

New Creation? It would have to be more $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back