POST PICS OF YOUR DARTH BEYERS
Dec 19, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #1,351 of 2,461
Which just goes to show that we NEED more than one headphone.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #1,356 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I have been listening to them all last night and much of today. I am using my Macbook core 2 duo as transport most of the time, into my Headstage Lyrix USB DAC AMP. The Macbook is helpful because I find I really need to use the iTunes EQ to make the headphones disappear and only leave the music.

If I at least cut the 64Hz band by 2-3 db, and the 125Hz band by about 3-4 db they sound much much better. But many times the mids are still a little sucked out so I like to add about 2-3 db in the 250-500Hz band, but I think that is personal preference rather than trying to remove an un-natural coloration.

Right now I have the 64Hz band cut by 3db, 125Hz cut by 4.5db, then 250Hz is boosted by 1.5db and 500Hz is boosted by 3db - this way they sound good with almost everything, jazz, classical, rock, new age, hip hop. Some male vocals force me to remove the boost in the mids however, like Jack Johnson.

Now - ALL of my classic rock demands letting the DB do what they do best. Led Zepellin Mothership DOES sound perfect with NO EQ and actually thrives that way, as does Linkin Park Meteora, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Boston, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Molly Hatchet, Rolling Stones, The Eagles. There is something about the DB that my other headphones can't do for this music.

Hm, sounds like the Darth's are not your cup of tea if you are doing that much EQ'ing, and finding that you have to switch to different EQ's for different songs. I assume you have tried the adhesive putty mod? I would expect that would do most of the EQ'ing you are doing without the need for EQ.

You may want to give the HD650 a shot someday, as it sounds like you prefer a sound sig like the HD650 (like myself).

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #1,358 of 2,461
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious what some of the more popular amps are with these darth beyers?

good question. i'm interested, too. i'm sure it's been discussed in this thread and i admit i'm a bit lazy to search...

larry recommends ss over tubes...and i've only used the headphone out of the zhaolu 2.5c as i'm letting it burn-in. i've not been impressed with the output from the zhaolu but i'm not sure if it's the amp or the darths, neither of which i'm familiar with since both are new acquisitions. the yamamoto will get a stint with the darths later this evening.

any other recommendations?

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #1,359 of 2,461
SS or Tube, doesn't make so much of a difference just so long as they are good amps and implemented well into your system chain. Bottom line, get one that has the sound sig you are looking for.

I have a WA6 and GS-1, and both are great little amps. I didn't prefer one over the other when I had my Darths (in fact, the same is true for all my headphones).

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #1,360 of 2,461
It's not cheap, but the Darths sound GREAT with the Blue Circle Audio SBH.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #1,361 of 2,461
Jan Meier Opera is good with Darths. Ditto, not cheap.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #1,363 of 2,461
@gallardo88 are they Purple Hearts?
biggrin.gif

My Darths are still not even here yet but I had dreams(nightmares) of having them balanced yesterday night!
eek.gif

I'm also wondering how they will sound when I get an Opera a year or two from now.

Not good! This place is taking over my soul slowly but surely....
Dammit! Where is the postman? I want my Darths!
mad.gif

@Skylab, the Blue Circle Audio SBH is more expensive than the Opera no? How much more is it?
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #1,365 of 2,461
i just did a quick comparison between the zhaolu 2.5c (w/discrete headphone amp) and the yamamoto...and the darths sound so much better out of the yamamoto (maybe this isn't a big surprise). the zhaolu makes the music feel congested and confusing, as sounds come at you from various directions with no real focus. the yamamoto, on the other hand, accentuates the midrange so nicely that you can focus on the vocals and have all this other stuff around you as supporting material.

the bass was tightened up a bit with the yamamoto, too...not so boomy. i'm a big fan of midrange, which is what the yamamoto does really well...heck, it even gave a nice midrange to the k701. anyway, if you're in the market for an amp for your new darths, i'm liking what i'm hearing from the yamamoto...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back