Post pics of your builds....
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #9,121 of 9,811
Well, since this is a post pics of your BUILDS thread, rather than a post screenshots of your board designs thread, I thought I'd put up a couple images of my first prototype that I just started assembling tonight. At this point, I'm just waiting on the SMD parts from RS, hopefully that'll be tomorrow! I've decided to try out a 4556 since I got a few extras in my order, for super cheap (plus they're smd, which makes life easier than waiting for antoher order to get here!) it etched all good with toner transfer off of magazine paper, 0.4 mm traces all round. a few traces got a little skinny, and some were a tiny bit smudged, but nothing an xacto and marker couldn't fix up. I think I might widen the traces a tiny bit more

I think there's still some refinement to do, but it's getting there. These pics are just of the prototype, it's powered by a seperate psu board. I had a play around with the partially populated board, and it looks like it'll fit nicely into the case I was considering, a skinny mint tin- "chewy" Eclipse mints if anyone knows what that container looks like (its about 80x30x20mm) (I shall probably post some more images once I start trying to stuff it in there with battery and PSU :D

Unfortunately I managed to rip up one tiny bit of a trace off one of the input caps, but I managed to keep it together, and I intend to apply some hot glue to keep it all secure. Its just a first prototype, so I don't even know if it's going to work yet (I can hope though 
cool.gif
)

Annnnnnyway, here you all go. Enjoy.

May 7, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #9,122 of 9,811
Well, I have a few photos of my current builds... There's a prototype cmoy SMD, and a TDA2050 gainclone that I'm building up.

I took apart an old rear projection TV today, it was specced 100% with nichicon caps, all pretty decent series too, so I spent a couple of hours de-soldering them all carefully for later use. I've spot checked a few and they seem to be working and in good condition (no obvious signs of over heating or anything. but this is a sweet windfall considering how much high value and quality caps cost.

I've gotta find myself some more rear projector TVs. Theyre brilliant for breaking down and taking components/leads from. The amount of parts I got was quite staggering, it was a huge heap, and there's still more on the boards I need to remove with a solder sucking pump which I don't have and need to go buy one tomorrow. There was heaps of audio related gear on a couple boards, and a nice big hybrid amp module. Plenty more plain ol' electronics stuff too, transistors, regulators, diodes, bridges, transfos. It was mighty sweet for me, I've always loved taking **** apart, and this was great because the gear was all high quality too.

Anyway...

Pics!

Gainclone and some of the bigger caps.

Cmoy smd on left, corner of gainclone on right. Huge pile of caps on, everywhere.

Cmoy closeup. just waiting on a few smd parts to arrive by air mail and then I get to give this a first listen. I'm excited 
cool.gif

There was one casualty during the disassembly process though... Owchchhh, I hope I don't get tetanus or gangrene or something similar.

Oh well.

Peace

chris

May 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #9,123 of 9,811
ouch!

May 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #9,124 of 9,811
Quote:
Not really an entire build, but decided to spruce up my ODAC with a bit of that vintage Yamaha wood surround look.  Just threw together scrap wood and leftover walnut veneer for fun.  Not very detail oriented but I like it
tongue_smile.gif

Beautiful case, how did you make it if you don't mind me asking, I'd love to do something similar with my E-DAC

May 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #9,125 of 9,811
Just finished up a very special Bottlehead Crack build I call the Coppermine Crack. This guy took quite a bit of work: I mitered and routed the wood base, then copper leafed it, which is a fun experience if you haven't tried it. The plate of the amp is a 12" x 12" x 0.1" copper plate, punched and drilled. Some fun little changes from the stock unit are the 6SN7 signal tube, the excessive use of film caps for power and coupling, and a pair of bulky chokes. Hope you enjoy the pics. 

May 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #9,126 of 9,811
it is beautiful 

May 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #9,127 of 9,811
Quote:
Just finished up a very special Bottlehead Crack build I call the Coppermine Crack. This guy took quite a bit of work: I mitered and routed the wood base, then copper leafed it, which is a fun experience if you haven't tried it. The plate of the amp is a 12" x 12" x 0.1" copper plate, punched and drilled. Some fun little changes from the stock unit are the 6SN7 signal tube, the excessive use of film caps for power and coupling, and a pair of bulky chokes. Hope you enjoy the pics. 

Gorgeous work!  I will say your blog has encouraged me to redo my Bottlehead S.E.X. kit with a little more visual flare.  That and the Steampunk inspired book that I am reading right now.

May 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #9,129 of 9,811
Quote:

have you got any other builds?

May 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #9,131 of 9,811
May 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #9,132 of 9,811
Awesome work as always, your original Jonokuchi inspired me to build one (still haven't finished *** lol). Btw, do I see a Valab 100k 24 stepped non SMD based attenuator in that picture? If so, you stole my idea. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #9,134 of 9,811
Nice nice, yeah those Valab steppers are good I find it hard justifying to spend $120+ on the Goldpoint ones I've used since both work the same. Used in my Crack, b22 and few other speaker amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back