Post pics of your builds....
Jan 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #8,476 of 9,811
All I can say is this amp sounds ridiculously good with my HD650's, just as good as my B22 if not a bit better, synergy has been had.

Fixed up some of the ground and it's silent now too, impressive for $100 worth of parts.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #8,479 of 9,811

Quote:
Any suggestions, low ESR capacitors?  I'm not an electrical engineer or anything just a hobbyist.

Im just a hobbyist too :) 

Low ESR is how the caps perform at high frequencies. IE whether they are truly ideal at high frequencies or not. 
At lower frequencies it is still ESR, but instead of fighting for mili-ohms we are looking at dozens of ohms. 

The key is to get rid of the cap in the ground channel, but I cant really think of a safe or easy way to do it while keeping the ground channel.
One option is to replace the output caps on the "signal" channels with bipolar caps and just remove the ground cap. This is risky because it exposes the end user to whatever the voltage is there. Probably 12-18V from your description which is not totally safe.
The other way would be to install ground channel at ground potential. Probably requires a negative voltage supply though.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #8,481 of 9,811
My first DIY audio device. An acoustic simulator (another Chu Moy's project) should follow soon.

It's a CMoy based on two military OP27's :

It amplifies the interferences very, very well. Otherwise, it seems it changes the sound as much as I spent to build it : noting.

EDIT : I've connected the box to ground, and there is no interference anymore. Only a weak white noise.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #8,482 of 9,811
sorry to off topic, but can you folks give me informations if there are any diy amp to (monitor)speakers? if so tell me names or links please.. and one day, soon, i'll post it here:D
Thanks

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #8,484 of 9,811

Quote:
sorry to off topic, but can you folks give me informations if there are any diy amp to (monitor)speakers? if so tell me names or links please.. and one day, soon, i'll post it here:D
Thanks

Technically, this is a DIY effort of Pete's, but worthy of mention, now that he offers boards on ebay.

http://www.pmillett.com/Jonokuchi.htm

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #8,485 of 9,811

Quote:
As far as I know balanced is only useful when you need very long wires, which is never the case in rigs for personal use.
Balanced mainly finds its use in professional applications. In personal applications there really isn't any point in getting balanced except for the doubling of power output of the amplifier.

Agreed, anyone who hears an improvement in the balanced/config had an underpowered/compromised amp. That being said I have balanced between my B&K pre to my DBX DriverackPA feeding my AnthemMC20 amp to Boston VRM80/50 stack, sub to Carver PM900 bridged to subs, sub run 15ft, hence the balanced, in headphones it is a giggle/overkill.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8,486 of 9,811
Finally Finished my Ck2III. Pretty much stock parts list except for the case and I integrated a skeleton dac into it so I can chose between usb and rca inputs. Loving it so far, listening to it with my ath-a700 right now, and was using my grado sr60's earlier and they all sound awesome. The front panel is spalted maple finished with teak oil, with a small bit of lexan glued into it. So far not too many problems with it but it was an experiment so i'll have to see how that joint goes with changes in temperature and humidity.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #8,488 of 9,811
Incredible looking build, CFlux!

Especially the wiring. I was proud for using wires of different colors salvaged from an old PSU of a broken computer. I even went as far as braiding them and using heat shrinks.
You wiring is on a whole other level, on the other hand.

Front panel looks awesome too. Although I don't really like the look of the switch on the back.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #8,490 of 9,811
Sweet drtturnip.

Please shared where you source the 18k gold, lama hair polarized wire.

Gotta get me some of that!!  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back