Post pics of your builds....
Nov 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8,371 of 9,811
Yep, I was at homedepot, who are always overpriced for hardware.  I plan on scouring Fastenal and the likes soon.

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #8,373 of 9,811
Quote:
Not sure that this completely fits in this thread, but hey, what the heck!

I've wanted to build an equipment rack for a while, and finally had the time to do so.  It's roughly based on the FleXy design by TNT audio:  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I've built one of those as well. If I did it again, If you do a good job on the veneer it can look pretty awesome and you can actually build it according to your needs.
Btw, I fine-tuned the type and number of washers needed by listening tests (j/k
biggrin.gif
 ).

I'm actually thinking of modding it into a Double Flexy:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/gif/2flexy.jpg

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #8,374 of 9,811
Nov 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #8,375 of 9,811
The flexy is a great idea - I'm thinking of making a 2 shelf scaled down version for my desktop set. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #8,376 of 9,811

Quote:

Haha, after posting about checking Fastenal (where I had no luck), I checked McMaster-Carr, they'll probably be the source I use.  Problem now is, the rack is built, and I don't want to take it apart, maybe I'll set aside some time during the holidays to tear it down, make better shelves (they were just scrap MDF I had laying around), paint the shelves, and put on the neoprene washers.

I really like the look of the double flexy, wish I had the room for one!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #8,378 of 9,811

Quote:
At one meet someone brought a DIY rack like that.  I didn't notice if he used rubber washers.  He had 4 legs and wood shelves.  I can see the 3 legs being much easier to level.

I have a 4-leg flexxy, and the nuts make it very easy to level. 

3 legs wins for never rocking, especically if its on a slightly uneven surface. Most floors or tabletops aren't really flat enough for a 4-leg stand. 

Im too lazy to take it apart and drill another hole :)

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #8,379 of 9,811
Mine is a three-legger also. Shelves are also made from 3/4" MDF, but are a little weird. The bottom two shelves are double thick,
and the shelf for my CD player is triple thick. The top one for my turntable is also triple thick, but the middle piece has three
chambers cut out. Each chamber has a 3/4" acces hole from the back. Each chamber was filled with lead shot, then plugged.
That top shelf weighs probably 40 pounds.

So, if you think that breaking down/reassembling a 'normal' one is a pain ........... . 

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8,380 of 9,811
I already posted these in the T50RP mods thread over at Full Sized Headphones but in spirit of keeping this thread alive...

Here's my O2 amp that I completed today.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8,381 of 9,811

Quote:
Mine is a three-legger also. Shelves are also made from 3/4" MDF, but are a little weird. The bottom two shelves are double thick,
and the shelf for my CD player is triple thick. The top one for my turntable is also triple thick, but the middle piece has three
chambers cut out. Each chamber has a 3/4" acces hole from the back. Each chamber was filled with lead shot, then plugged.
That top shelf weighs probably 40 pounds.

So, if you think that breaking down/reassembling a 'normal' one is a pain ........... . 

woah, pictures?  this has me thinking about future modifications....

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #8,383 of 9,811
Oooh - pretty. Is that face plate engraved? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back