Post pics of your builds....
Nov 14, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #7,471 of 9,811
After two tube amps and still reading a lot in the forums (to improve my knowledge) next was an M3...
Great project, Ti Kan is very nice to deal with, happily no problems during the build.

Though I am a tube addict by now this is one fine sounding amp with tons of power...
OPA 627, Panasonic FC, TKD pot.

More to come...
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #7,474 of 9,811
bizarrely me too.

Still very much in prototyping clothes so not pretty yet. Salas HV shunt supply. running the cg3's at 14ma, 2v bias so roughly 150v on the plate. I'll have a play with the bias, many report them to sound better with a higher plate V and lower current.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #7,475 of 9,811

Quote:
ausgezeichnet! 
smile.gif

Quote:
[size=small]Sehr schön… really cool builds Herr Stixx !  
cool.gif
[/size]

Thanks guys for the kind words and for your excellent german...
biggrin.gif
(I'm not kidding!)

About the C3G... did I advertise them enough around here...?
...but fun aside, I  am very curious what you guys find out.

Quote:
running the cg3's at 14ma, 2v bias so roughly 150v on the plate.

Pretty close to what I am running mine in my spud, Salas shunt regged latest amp.

I've tried running them hotter and, err, cooler... At 185V and 20mA they initially sounded great but too spectacular in the end so I came back to a somewhat tamer setting.
Again, very curious about what you will find out...

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #7,476 of 9,811
well... I just fired it up.

first comparison with and without the salas shunt (and bear in mind i am using a ccs load so this design should be ok poorer supply. Salas wins hands down. the difference is not subtle, the salas shunt is fuller bodied and better all round.

I then had a play with different operating points (the joys of a ccs and clip leads!). 15ma is the sweetspot. A bit leaner and it sound more romantic. Much hotter and top end tends to dominate more. my guess is hot = more linear, and my ears are liking a bit of distortion.

Compared to the d3a, the c3g isnt quite as detailed but has stronger mids.

all of the above is subjective, and quite possibly nonsense!

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #7,478 of 9,811

Quote:

Quote:
ausgezeichnet! 
smile.gif

Quote:
[size=small]Sehr schön… really cool builds Herr Stixx !  
cool.gif
[/size]

Thanks guys for the kind words and for your excellent german...
biggrin.gif
(I'm not kidding!)

About the C3G... did I advertise them enough around here...?
...but fun aside, I  am very curious what you guys find out.

Quote:
running the cg3's at 14ma, 2v bias so roughly 150v on the plate.

Pretty close to what I am running mine in my spud, Salas shunt regged latest amp.

I've tried running them hotter and, err, cooler... At 185V and 20mA they initially sounded great but too spectacular in the end so I came back to a somewhat tamer setting.
Again, very curious about what you will find out...

A bit off topic, but could you compare that stepped attenuator you are using with any other att/pot you have had? A rk27 would be fine, since I am having a smd one coming next week and I wonder how good it is for its price :D

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #7,479 of 9,811

Quote:
the salas shunt is fuller bodied

Quote:
I then had a play with different operating points (the joys of a ccs and clip leads!). 15ma is the sweetspot. A bit leaner and it sound more romantic. Much hotter and top end tends to dominate more. my guess is hot = more linear, and my ears are liking a bit of distortion.

Exactly what I found out... so that makes two who are subjectice
wink.gif

15mA is what I am running both my C3G amps although they are of much different topology.
Cannot comment on your remark about the D3A being more detailed since I haven't heard the D3A long enough, but give it some more time.

To my ears (again being subjective) the C3G is mighty fast and has absolutely fascinating transient response (don't know how to put it in better words).
Drums, anything percussion, acoustic bass and such have a quality I haven't heard in any of my other amps (and still two more to be shown
redface.gif
),
and the rest ot the tonal spectrum benefits from these qualities.

Quote:
A bit off topic, but could you compare that stepped attenuator you are using with any other att/pot you have had? A rk27 would be fine, since I am having a smd one coming next week and I wonder how good it is for its price :D

The one in the pic above is not my favourite (got it used from somebody) and will be replaced by a TKD pot. The one from the other thread is fine and and (to my ears) up to par with the TKD.
I am basing this on the sheer amount of detail that I am hearing in different amplifiers. I wouldn't comment on tonal qualities of a pot since I cannot really compare that in amps of different topology. Both (stepper and TKD) to my ears are a good step up from a RK27...
And considering the price difference it sure is worth trying out...

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #7,480 of 9,811

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #7,482 of 9,811
@ meme, I really like the use of the angled aluminum you used in your build, ingenious. Just a beautiful build. Well done....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back