Post pics of your builds....
Oct 20, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7,382 of 9,811
They would prob be way too big for the height of that fpe case.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #7,385 of 9,811

Quote:
WOT...???  An Alps blue velvet pot?
What happened to Noble or DACT, or Apls RK50?

[size=x-small][size=x-small]It started as a tinkering P-P project, made from junk parts, my primary focus is to make a hum-free working amp (and accidentally good sounding too). This is exactly why DIY is so fun.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]When it comes to assembling a proven design (β22, Ω33333333…), you ca[/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]n substituting standard parts for more exotic/expensive parts or whatever you like that makes you happier.[/size][/size][size=x-small] [/size]

Quote:
They would prob be way too big for the height of that fpe case.

Well, it can probably be fit, with some creativity.
smily_headphones1.gif

The holes on the bottom are serving as air cooling -to create botom-top air flows- ...simple but efficient.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #7,386 of 9,811

Quote:

These are level meter. And indeed, you have seen something like that before.

Actually, I'm going back a LOT further than that.  
wink.gif

I remember my dad blagging an old reel to reel tape recorder, must be about 25 years ago now.  I remember that blue/green tube dancing away to the music, It was hypnotic.  I take it they aren't made anymore?

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #7,388 of 9,811

Quote:
wink.gif

I remember my dad blagging an old reel to reel tape recorder, must be about 25 years ago now.  I remember that blue/green tube dancing away to the music, It was hypnotic.  I take it they aren't made anymore?

Ah... the good old days. Your dad is a lucky man!
smily_headphones1.gif

You probably right that this kind of tubes (Magic eyes) is no longer made nowadays in the western world.
What I'm using on my amp are from old Russian production.
However, just like some other popular audio tubes, some limited types are still in production in China.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #7,390 of 9,811

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

You probably right that this kind of tubes (Magic eyes) is no longer made nowadays in the western world.
However, just like some other popular audio tubes, some limited types are still in production in China.

lol

I googled this stuff. Had to share this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgDJVP33lM&feature=related

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #7,391 of 9,811

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

The tube is used in the Ming-Da MC 84C07. It's a good-looking design (looks a lot like Meme's Starving Student, actually), and apparently it has some of the best tube sound for ~$400. I know that Skylab was a pretty big fan when he had one. 

http://www.pacificvalve.us/MDMC84C07.html

Regardless, Ferrari, your work is incredible. The fit and finish of everything I've seen from you is amazing, and I'm really taken by the magic eye tube design. I'm also impressed by how well you must know amplifier sound in relation to amplifier design. You're truly an asset to the head-fi community.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #7,392 of 9,811
I have been busy building a parafeed amp using d3a tubes, electraprint custom transformers. Its a two chassis build. CLCRC PS, CCS loading on the d3a, led bias, Tx tapped for 32r, 300r, 600r. DC filaments.... the parts cost a bit!

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #7,395 of 9,811

Quote:
I have been busy building a parafeed amp using d3a tubes, electraprint custom transformers. Its a two chassis build. CLCRC PS, CCS loading on the d3a, led bias, Tx tapped for 32r, 300r, 600r. DC filaments.... the parts cost a bit!

[size=x-small]Yes… another build with D3a tubes, well done!
beerchug.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]I have used these tubes for a while now in my SE transformer coupled amp and I really like it. Hope you like it too.[/size]
[size=x-small]For the relative low price (comparing to 6N30P-DR for example) it offers very good audio performance. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back