Post pics of your builds....
Jan 25, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #6,288 of 9,811
Been a little busy since I received my package from BatchPCB.

A simple LM317/337 dual supply, based on Tangent's STEPS.

A solid-state amp I've been working on, started as a Szekeres VE but ended up as something a little different, based on AMB's M^3.

And some input/output control boards for a gainclone and head amp I'm building.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #6,290 of 9,811
Uhm... they're the same thing essentially.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #6,294 of 9,811
Damn I like that M3 copy, you have slimed that down nicely. Removed the VG and using a dual psu? Awesome!
With a little tweaking and another channel that would make a very small balanced amp, I want...
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #6,296 of 9,811
Nice work there, what are the main features of that minus3 amp?

And what's the difference between the first volume board (with 5 relays) and the 2nd?

Greetings from Portugal!

Manuel

Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been a little busy since I received my package from BatchPCB....

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #6,297 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work there, what are the main features of that minus3 amp?

I'd like to say that it has a new, totally awesome design...but it doesn't.

Basically it's an opamp with global feedback and a CCS for class A biasing, followed by a MOSFET buffer, most of the schematics were based on existing projects.

Nonetheless, it allowed me to learn more about current designs and create something I could call "my own", even if it has nothing new.

Quote:

And what's the difference between the first volume board (with 5 relays) and the 2nd?

First board will be used with a gainclone, 4 inputs, 2 ouputs.

Second board will be used inside a head amp to select between DAC and analog inputs, controlled by PCM2702's suspend pin.
It also has some vregs for the relay and DAC, saves me from doing another board.

Quote:

Greetings from Portugal!

Manuel

Um abraço e um queijo da Serra
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #6,298 of 9,811
I'm new posting at head-fi but have been reading/learning here for awhile. This is my first build (of anything electronic) and is pretty simple by comparison to what some of you have built. But hey, you have to start somewhere. Thanks to all of you for posting your building experiences - your comments are valuable to newbies like myself.

This is a bass boost cmoy built from parts from mouser and digi-key. The plans are at JDS Labs and were very easy to follow. Plus it sounds really good through my old HD-570s. Triple Fi's sound good too but would not be my first choice compared to the 570s. The HD-7000s reveal too many of this amps shortcomings as they seem to resolve every little detail (much better plugged into the predator but that's another post).

I added a Panny 50kΩ potentiometer for the bass boost control but have found that it's too much bass and sounds better set to min with the 570s.

With cheapy ipod earphones, the bb actually makes them sound like they have a ton of bass when you crank the knob. They did start to crackle after a few minutes of Samantha Jones - sounded like the voice coil was going to spring into my ears so I figured I'd stop before critical meltdown occurred.

For the opamps, I have both the OPA2227PA and OPA2604PA for a little rolling. The 2604 sounds a little warmer and presents music with larger, more laid-back spatial staging than the 2227. The 2227 is more direct and is the pick for listener demonstration - but would be fatiguing to listen to for long periods.

Source is iPod 5g with RSA LOD.

Here are the pics:

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #6,299 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been a little busy since I received my package from BatchPCB...

That looks really impressive and well put together. What are the two smaller boards with relays for? Relay volume attenuator?

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #6,300 of 9,811
mugdecoffee
Quote:

What are the two smaller boards with relays for? Relay volume attenuator?

Looks like output (speaker) protection module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back