Post pics of your builds....
Jan 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #6,241 of 9,811
After half a year lying naked on my bench waiting for an enclosure I finished my SOHA II today.
smile.gif
Still to do is painting the top cover, what I will do in summer when I can spray outside (my wife will kill me if I try this in the kitchen, and rightly so
rolleyes.gif
). And the potentiometer shaft has to be cut, but I will look for another knob first, this one appears to be a bit huge for the small enclosure.
Right now I'm listening happily to Ms. Lodwick's Feelings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Chris

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #6,242 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After half a year lying naked on my bench waiting for an enclosure I finished my SOHA II today.
smile.gif

Congrats Chris, looks great! This really makes me want to finish my sohaII asap!

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #6,243 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile.gif
Still to do is painting the top cover, what I will do in summer when I can spray outside (my wife will kill me if I try this in the kitchen, and rightly so
rolleyes.gif
). And the potentiometer shaft has to be cut, but I will look for another knob first, this one appears to be a bit huge for the small enclosure.
Right now I'm listening happily to Ms. Lodwick's Feelings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Chris

Very Nice Job! I've been debating whether a SOHAII should be my next build. Where did you get the cool top grill? And of course, How does it sound?

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6,244 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very Nice Job!

Thanks.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get the cool top grill?

It's standard perforated aluminium sheet. Luckily I live in a bigger city here in Germany, so I have two professional aluminium vendors nearby, in the usual corner shops it's hard to find.

Quote:

And of course, How does it sound?

I'm satisfied. Absolutely no noise in every pot position. Clear in detail but not too analytical (in combo with the K240MKII). And it made even my crappy test phones sound bearable.

Chris

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #6,246 of 9,811
my latest CMoy build:

photoon20100118at09473.jpg

photoon20100118at09472l.jpg

photoon20100118at0948.jpg

sorry for the ugly pictures, was taken with a MacBook Pro camera
wink.gif

specs:
* TLE2426
* Panasonic FM power supply caps, 470uF before the TLE and 2x 1000uF after the TLE
* generic 1/4W 1% gain resistors, Vishay-Roederstein input grounding resistors
* ADA4627-1ARZ opamps
* vintage ALPS 10K stereo pot
* Neutrik NMJ6HCD2 headphone jack
* 1/8" and RCA inputs
* no input caps
* Canare L4E6S wiring

it sounds pretty neutral IMO, transparant too (the virtue of not having input caps?)... the ADA4627-1 doesn't color my MS1i like the AD825, but it isn't dead or lifeless sounding either... how would I describe it? both (fairly) neutral and yet lively at the same time, I guess. air, separation, and detail is awesome.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #6,247 of 9,811
getting some gear ready for the upcoming bay area (norcal) meet.

the lineup, so far, left to right:

- power supply box (sigma-11, sigma-25, TREAD)
- DAC box (gamma2, SPDIFmaster switch, LCDuino-1)
- amp box (M3, LCDuino-1, motor/linear pot)

4286015367_e2eef4da25_o.jpg

I drilled some holes in the clear plexiglass covers and then lined the holes with rubber grommets. all 3 boxes follow that theme, now. its not a great/expensive look but its a little better than undressed drill holes
wink.gif
seems to let enough heat out.

the M3 box has a relay to let the box function as a preamp (its current setting) or a headphone amp. when you switch between the 2 outputs, the volume control updates to the last-used value (that logic will change, though; but this is what it currently is). there is also a motor-pot in the amp box, linear taper. its used as a 'servo' so that when you use the IR to change volume, the motor pot will 'servo over' to the correct angle and then halt there. the pot's wiper goes to an arduino analog-in and the motor on the pot is controlled by 2 logic wires on an h-bridge chip. the pot 'chases' the volume setting in the background but the setting takes effect immediately (PGA burr brown chip or equiv).

both units have built-in digital clock/battery systems that show time-of-day when the system is powered off (and the displays all dim).

a big change I'm making to my M3 box is to move the volume control chip system out of the box and into its own smaller box (yet to be installed). the M3 will control this small 'slave box' via a 2 wire i2c connection and that cable will have 4 wires: power, gnd and 2 for i2c. I'm going to see if I can 'remote' the volume control subsystem into its own box and run a semi-long i2c cable to it. that will be the next part of this project
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #6,248 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
getting some gear ready for the upcoming bay area (norcal) meet.

the lineup, so far, left to right:

- power supply box (sigma-11, sigma-25, TREAD)
- DAC box (gamma2, SPDIFmaster switch, LCDuino-1)
- amp box (M3, LCDuino-1)

I drilled some holes in the clear plexiglass covers and then lined the holes with rubber grommets. all 3 boxes follow that theme, now. its not a great/expensive look but its a little better than undressed drill holes
wink.gif
seems to let enough heat out.

the M3 box has a relay to let the box function as a preamp (its current setting) or a headphone amp. when you switch between the 2 outputs, the volume control updates to the last-used value (that logic will change, though; but this is what it currently is).

both units have built-in digital clock/battery systems that show time-of-day when the system is powered off (and the displays all dim).

a big change I'm making to my M3 box is to move the volume control chip system out of the box and into its own smaller box (yet to be installed). the M3 will control this small 'slave box' via a 2 wire i2c connection and that cable will have 4 wires: power, gnd and 2 for i2c. I'm going to see if I can 'remote' the volume control subsystem into its own box and run a semi-long i2c cable to it. that will be the next part of this project
wink.gif

Damn

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #6,251 of 9,811
Hot Damn.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #6,252 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really cool Linux. Any suggestions on a easy place to start on the programming side for us illiterate types?

I think the quickest and easiest is to have something that already works and does something close to what you want, then modify it very slowly (incrementally). the LCDuino code base will have a few varied examples of how to talk to our standard hardware so that users should be able to download the code and get things working without too much fuss.

this is how I started with the arduino; learned how to read input (IR), print to output (lcd) and then added frills here and there over time.

having the sourcecode to the examples as well as free tools to devel/test/run made all the diff in getting up to speed quickly with this platform.

my code is still changing quite a bit so I'm not ready to declare anything 'vee one point oh' yet (lol) but I'll post when its time to declare the APIs stable.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #6,253 of 9,811
Haven't posted here for too long. I've always enjoyed Sijosae's work so here is something I built for fun last night and finished today.

It's called the Poorman's Zen (SHA).

Most parts are re-used including chassis (missing lid), used heatsinks, transistors, pot and most caps. It runs off a 15VAC wallwart I found in an e-recycle dumpster, rectified with MBR360 Schottky diodes bypassed by 100pF ceramics going to a simple LM317 circuit. Yes, those are Elna Cerafine output caps and a BlackGate in the PSU. Hey if you're using salvaged parts, salvage the good stuff.
tongue.gif

I think it sounds great, especially since it cost me nothing in new parts and probably $40 in what I originally paid.
tongue.gif
I think it'll be a present for somebody at the office, I'm slowly converting them to audiophiles too. (veryevil)

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #6,254 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I was looking at something similar for a thermostat project. Found some good information here: http://www.standardics.nxp.com/suppo.../pdf/an255.pdf

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #6,255 of 9,811
I'd like to know more about the i2c repeater stuff. right now, I'm not exactly sure how far I can run the wire and how I need to treat the wire. I was going to experiment and find where the 'reliability length' ends (lol). I bet a repeater chip would be very useful for 'out of box' comms. do you have experience with these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back