Post pics of your builds....
Oct 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #5,926 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my B22:
-DIY mahagony/aluminum chassis with custom face-plates from FPE.
-100VA 30V+30V encapsulated TX from SumR.
-PEC pot and Cardas signal wire.

Looking really nice!
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #5,929 of 9,811
fishski13, now that's craftmanship - I like the wood and metal combination - the design has worked exceptionally well. It is clearly evident that a whole lot of planning has gone into this built. How long overall did the process take, say from initial planning - in regards to the custom chassis work? Very pro mate, hope it gives you years of pleasure.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #5,930 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fishski13, now that's craftmanship - I like the wood and metal combination - the design has worked exceptionally well. It is clearly evident that a whole lot of planning has gone into this built. How long overall did the process take, say from initial planning - in regards to the custom chassis work? Very pro mate, hope it gives you years of pleasure.

thanks. total execution, from start to finish, was about 6 wks. the chassis work consumed about 4 of those weeks. i also made 2 different proto-type face-plates before ordering the custom ones.

i have no idea how many hours i put into planning before hand. my previous 2 builds were a bit more involved and difficult - i learned a lot and it made this build that much easier. the fact i really enjoy the creative aspect of planning and creating something from scratch with DIY means i spend a lot of time thinking about it before i build it. Ti also made life easier by designing the B22 boards to be flexible with respect to lay-out and wire routing options.

and of course, i get a lot of inspiration from all the excellent DIYers here!

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #5,931 of 9,811
I feel so noobish!

I'm currently working on an E3 mod (Odegard Franken Fiio)

I'm trying to find good parts, in stores preferably. Any suggestions? (i need a Potentiometer (dont know what size though)

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #5,932 of 9,811
Here is my PhonoClone [details here]:

dsc0085l.jpg

dsc0089.jpg

dsc0088x.jpg

Standard BOM. HiFi2000 cases, Trafomatic potted transformers. Neutrik SpeakOn + AQ power cable for umbilicals.

Mundorf MCap on outputs. I have ZN coming soon...

...what is not standard is my contraption for easy loading. I attached a small PCB with 300, 400, 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000 CNF55 resistors [or close enough values].

Using MB style jumpers, I can select any combination of those in parallel and get a much larger degree of loading steps. Current combination yields ~170ohm which seems quite suited to the Ortofon Rondo Red I have installed.

Initial Thoughts

No perceivable hum or noise on normal listening levels. Some noise after 2PM on the volume dial... still quite negligible. Will give it a few days and see what happens. Happy happy right now.

P.S. Wen't in to install my freshly nuded DL-103 last night. After fiddling with the wires, I realized I broke the cantilever off. Oh well, another hit to the wallet is not really surprising here, is it? For the time being, back to the Rondo.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #5,933 of 9,811
WOW! It looks amazing! Beautiful job!

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #5,934 of 9,811
This amp started life as a base model SinglePower extreme, which had to have some mods done for safety, others for my own curiosity, and others for the sake of other reasons.

For safety:
The power transformer was replaced with an antek in a cool looking cover because I have plitron envy. The stock transformer was being used in an unsafe fashion, as detailed elsewhere on this site.
All parts were checked for power/voltage rating: with the exception of 1 resistor which was being run slightly above rated power, all were within safe limits. The bad resistor was replaced and a few others that kind of got in the way of my mods were as well. The output caps were also upgraded just because.

For my curiosity:
I replaced the plate resistors and cathode resistors for the gain triodes with CCSs and LEDs.
I augmented the cathode loads in the output stages with CCSs.
Nice stuff.

For other reasons:
I added a transformer coupled output. It drives low impedance headphones MUCH MUCH better than the OTL output.
Anyways, the transformer coupled output goes in the "left" open hole (since filled and currently in use with my Grado HF-2). the right headphone jack is OTL, and the transformer is hooked up to the switched output on it: when the OTL jack is in use, the transformers have exactly 0 effect on the circuit. cool, hunh?

No, I will not work on your SinglePower amp.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #5,937 of 9,811
Nov 4, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #5,938 of 9,811
here's a low cost build that sounds really decent if you would like a warmed up hd201, bass extends much, clarity increases. Detail and separation doesn't really get much better. The cables are Acoustic Research performance balanced directional cable. They started out as a male to male rca interconnect and i just hacked the destination plugs off and wired em up. cables can be had for around $10. only real drawback i can see is the stiffness of the cable... oh well they weren't really all that portable before anyway. To connect to ipod/portable amp ie 3.5mm jack i use an adapter that looks like a molded headphone splitter. If you are wondering about the hole in the ear cup, its an experiment that took place before the re-cable. There is that hole and two more of the same size in the plastic driver cover inside that was a bear to peel off when getting to the drivers. im sort of a noob when it comes to posting so sorry for breaking any rules if i did. cheers, happy listening
smile_phones.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #5,939 of 9,811
We all have to start somewhere. $20 ebay CMOY kit on its way. I'm incredibly lazy and totalling up all the parts on Mouser would have taken several minutes. I also would have had to purchase the board separately, adding a second shipping charge. This one was $20 shipped.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #5,940 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all have to start somewhere. $20 ebay CMOY kit on its way. I'm incredibly lazy and totalling up all the parts on Mouser would have taken several minutes. I also would have had to purchase the board separately, adding a second shipping charge. This one was $20 shipped.

All the best with it scoot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back