Post pics of your builds....
Jun 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #5,281 of 9,811
A friend needed a switch box so I did some scrounging around to see what I could find for spare parts. An hour or so later and we had this:

114161680.jpg

114161681.jpg

It's a 3:1 design with a common ground (unswitched). The switch and knob are from Mouser, the chassis from Ebay and the RCA's are from Headamp's DIY Store. Total construction cost was ~$70 or so, not bad.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #5,282 of 9,811
not bad for spare parts. looking good.
What's the deal with common ground having its own cable, and not in the RCA? is it for coax cables, trying to keep better symmetry ?

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #5,283 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not bad for spare parts. looking good.
What's the deal with common ground having its own cable, and not in the RCA? is it for coax cables, trying to keep better symmetry ?

I'm not sure what you mean about the common ground having its own cable? What I mean by common ground is that in this switch box the grounds of all of the RCAs are shared and not switched. The are tied together at the jacks and the only switched component are the L and R signal lines.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #5,284 of 9,811
DOH. And the other 2 are outputs.
My mind is not where I'd prefer it to be. I had no clue what you were talking about, but it turns out I just had no clue what I was thinking about. Damn exams. I need to build an amp
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #5,285 of 9,811
Jul 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #5,289 of 9,811
Jul 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #5,290 of 9,811

Officially my first DIY build.
smile.gif
smile.gif
Somehow I didn't have any issues with the amp itself, all systems go from the first try. But I the casework gave me a lot of grief since it was so cramped and I burned an EVJC pot and lifted its solder pads and traces. I wanted to mount it on the panel and soldering the wires to the tiny pads was really annoying. Luckily the electronics store had mini 50k pots in stock, and I popped that one right in. Also I ended up using a plastic knob because I couldn't ground this pot properly.

There's a TREAD board peeking out of the corner as well, which I just put together from a kit, I'm going to use it with my Millet Hybrid.
smile_phones.gif

EDIT: Went back to the aluminium knob, managed to ground it properly this time.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #5,293 of 9,811
here's a CK2II/preamp/y-1 DAC i built for a friend. it will be used in front of a Gainclone i recently built.

-i DIYed the chassis with aluminum, flanked with tung-oiled cherry wood.
-the source selector has green LEDs for input indicators. the speaker muting switch has an amber/on to indicate muted. my friend decided he wanted a blue LED "somewhere", soooo...power/on Scotty.
-off-board PS with an additional LM7805 to provide the 5V DC for the y-1 DAC - all done P2P.
-every thing "stock" per AMB's BOMs, including, jacks from Switchcraft, switches from TOCOS and Grayhill, and a PEC carbon pot.

things i would have done differently:
-i would have added an 1" to the chassis all the way around. it was a tight fit...or, instead, i would also reconsider removing the y-1 and building a separate chassis for it.
-in hindsight, i should have just gone with the on-board PS for the CK2III - the off-boarding was probably unnecessary. it wasted some space-maybe an "1 all the way around. i could have easily tapped off the CK2III board for the LM7805 - it was my first gut idea, but instead opted for the off-board design. we'll have to see how this CK2III compares to the other one built for him a year ago though.
-i would like a simpler DIY chassis design - cutting all the the brakets and drilling with precision is difficult and time consuming. i have a nice router and table that i will be using on my next build, a 2-channel B22...for myself.

the combo of this preamp/DAC build and the 50Wish Gaineclone shows my 200W Krell 400xi a thing or two, even driving the horribly ineffcient load of my ATC 12scm loudspeakers. they will utlimately be paired with a pair of full-range Fostex FF85K loudspeakers my friend and i are building.

we DIYers are a lucky group of audio/music lovers. thanks to Alex, Ti, Mr. X and anyone else who made this project possible.
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
smile.gif

018-1.jpg

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #5,295 of 9,811
Looks awesome fishski123! I've been thinking about building a similar metal/wood case for by bijou but I don't know where to begin with the aluminum. What tools did you use? Where did you get the aluminum pieces?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back