Post pics of your builds....
May 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #5,026 of 9,811
My point exactly. the machining doesn't look too difficult. the form is what has me hooked. This is art in the true sense of the word. I am humbled by your artistic vision and skill.

May 18, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #5,027 of 9,811
Thanks again gentlemen, appreciate all the kind words
redface.gif
(*blushes some more*)

May 18, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #5,028 of 9,811
Thanks to all who posted here. Incredible work from everyone! Been back tracking through this thread, only at page 315.

May 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #5,029 of 9,811
This has absolutely nothing to do with audio, but its a build, and according to OP on page one, anything goes
wink.gif
. This is more practical use, it gets moved around and all, and its not very pretty but its my first real build project. Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two about working materials to make some pretty enclosures before I build some audio equip
smily_headphones1.gif

picture0021t.jpg

picture004gbl.jpg

Its an ATX power supply load tester. A number of huge power resistors are mounted on the back of those heatsiks, switches turn them on and off, those sexy gold binding posts (unneccesary, but they are pretty sexy
wink.gif
) are for measuring Vs. Nests of wires hanging out is to attach to power supply being tested and the one mounted in the chasis (or frame) is for powering the cooling on the rig.

May 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #5,032 of 9,811
Some high-end PSU's run over 1KW (think Quad graphics cards). I run an 850W and probably only draw 300-350 under load - but it's always good to give yourself a lot of room, especially with capacitor aging and future components drawing more and more power.

May 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #5,033 of 9,811
My first CMOY following tangent's excellent articles. Now working on one that uses a TLE railsplitter, and adds DC wall power. if that works out on the radioshack board I will try my hand at etching my own boards - 1 for an altoids tin and one for an extra small "Meko" mint tin. This is more fun than I imagined - a big thanks for all the great info to all.

DSC_6937.jpg

DSC_6936.jpg

DSC_6945.jpg

May 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #5,034 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some high-end PSU's run over 1KW (think Quad graphics cards). I run an 850W and probably only draw 300-350 under load - but it's always good to give yourself a lot of room, especially with capacitor aging and future components drawing more and more power.

Oh for sure, I test power supplies thats why I built it
wink.gif
. The vast majority of the units I deal with are 1kw units. What I was saying is I haven't needed to use the extra 500W.

May 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #5,035 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by amc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first CMOY following tangent's excellent articles. Now working on one that uses a TLE railsplitter, and adds DC wall power. if that works out on the radioshack board I will try my hand at etching my own boards - 1 for an altoids tin and one for an extra small "Meko" mint tin. This is more fun than I imagined - a big thanks for all the great info to all.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/DSC_6937.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/DSC_6936.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/DSC_6945.jpg

Congrats on your first build, AMC. Those are some really nice pictures
biggrin.gif
Especially the last one.

May 21, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #5,036 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyhong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh for sure, I test power supplies thats why I built it
wink.gif
. The vast majority of the units I deal with are 1kw units. What I was saying is I haven't needed to use the extra 500W.

Ah, no quad-SLI double-quad-core machines around who's power supplies need testing?
wink.gif
A man can dream.

May 22, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5,039 of 9,811
I can't really call this DAC a 'build' - I just hooked up some power transformers to it and off it goes:

3552277335_eabcaf565a_o.jpg

(I did build the minimax - a few months ago).

the dac is a new toy from ebay in the $100 range. does 24bit and 192k via upsampling daughter card (vertical plugin). the dac chip is on a socket adapter as well as the receiver chip. it supports toslink, coax and usb (via a BB pcm chip onboard).

sort of a (noodle_dac)++

sort of
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back