Post pics of your builds....
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #4,501 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get it at Home Depot around here.

I would avoid the plex from Home Depot. I found it to be pretty low quality compared to what is available industrially.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #4,502 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for some reason I came to think of Dr. Who, don't know why, but the tune just suddenly appeared in my head

biggrin.gif
now i'm worried the tune will be stuck in my head whenever I sit next to it.
zk

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #4,503 of 9,811
Looks like zkool will be giving Ferrari a nice bit of competition in beautiful casing..

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #4,504 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new M^3 + Sigma11. The chassis is all-aluminum from VT4C, cost $60 + shipping which can be a bit expensive.

Do those cases come with panel holes pre-punched or completely blank?

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #4,505 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do those cases come with panel holes pre-punched or completely blank?

Could have just looked for yourself, would have taken you just about the same amount of time as posting the message and you'd have gotten an instant result.
wink.gif

The case does come with pre-punched holes, a volume and power knobs, an IEC inlet, some terrible RCA's, terrible rubber feet and a decent push-button switch. Beware that the volume knob is counter-sunk - that means your volume control must be 100% straight or you'll run into problems (like I did and ruined a knob as well as a stepped attenuator though the second was by bashing it with a big set of pliers).

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #4,506 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could have just looked for yourself, would have taken you just about the same amount of time as posting the message and you'd have gotten an instant result.
wink.gif

At least I got a smiley face with that spanking!
wink.gif
I have looked, and seen the pics, but still couldn't quite decipher if ALL the cases came punched or there were different options... That's settled, thanks!

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #4,507 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(front view - yellow glow is from camera, it's strictly red)
frontviewblkbo8.jpg

Stunning.

Looks Art Deco to me, and I like the way the case picks up on the heatsink.

You do know that you have a gift, don't you?

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #4,508 of 9,811
Thanks for all the compliments guys, i'm overwhelmed by the comments and really means a lot.
I for one am very flattered that one would dare say 'Ferrari' and 'zkool' on the same sentence...
smily_headphones1.gif

zk

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #4,509 of 9,811
Well I finaly made a mini^3 I used small adapter boards to raise the chips so I could fit components underneith to save space, un fortunately the only LMH6642's I could get were the five pin version so I knocked up a little adapter board. It works very very well, it has no detectable noise with the source disconnected even at full volume, the sound is rich, full and warm a real pleasure to listen to.
k701smile.gif

CIMG3151Small.jpg

Plenty of decoupling caps keep it very stable no signs of oscillation

CIMG3167Small.jpg

CIMG3179Small.jpg

CIMG3183Small.jpg

CIMG3180Small.jpg

CIMG3177Small.jpg

CIMG3181Small.jpg

PCBDesign_MINIa32Small.jpg

Anyway the work bench looks like a bomb's hit it and I have a beer waiting so I'm calling it a night
Thanks for looking
cheers
Fred
smile_phones.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4,510 of 9,811
I just finished a prototype build for the new Compact Tube Hybrid Amp developed by Runeight and Cfcubed. You can read about it here: Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid

The board is only 75mm x 120mm, and I chose to house mine in the Hammond case that is 3 x 6 inches. I populated the board with the taller components on the bottom, so that the tube socket was just below the top plate of the case. The casing was a bit tricky based on this idea, but I am quite happy with the results. The sound quality is superb, and the amp itself is ridiculously portable. I included a photo of next to my iPhone to give you an idea of how small it really is.

Thanks go out to Alex and Chris for a great design...
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #4,512 of 9,811
Fred, fantastic work on the mini3 clone, looks kick ass mate. I have a big thing for miniturisation, pack as much in the smallest possible space- i think that's why i love watches so much, watchmakers truly are the most masterful of craftsmen. Anyways, sorry for digressing. Just been listening to the amp you sent my son to build, and it is definitely rocking. Great when used near the bbq, into a set of speakers, using the amp to boost the signal from a measly mp3 player. It also pairs up nicely with my Alessandro 'phones- now i know why my 10 yr old has been hanging onto them for so long.

Great amp mate, i will dig out that whisky miniature this weekend to bud for you to look at
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #4,513 of 9,811
Thanks Nick, it was a squeeze but I must admit I do like the sound, The tin sounds great I'm looking foreward to it
cheers

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #4,515 of 9,811
I put the methods I use on
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/pos.../index298.html
and I use Ammonium Persulphate (jaycars) as the etchant. Its easy give it a try
As for the tins you have to get them from ebay and wear the huge postage
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where the heck do you get so many Altoids tins? I can never find one.

Speaking of which, how do you etch PCBs? I'd love to build that Pimeta in a tin from earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back