Post pics of your builds....
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #3,751 of 9,811
^^
I'll be building one of these in the next few weeks, and I'm pretty sure usb dacs like the PCM2702 usually are bit-perfect in Mac OS as well.. TomB or anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong...

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #3,752 of 9,811
yes, mac-os will also NOT resample all things to 48k like windows does.

not sure if it was a creative (invented) thing or an MS mixer thing but its a known 'wart' about windows and their 'resample to 48k' pain-in-the-*****.

since its pretty much a 'windows thing' to do forced resampling, all unix and mac should be free of this.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #3,753 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, mac-os will also NOT resample all things to 48k like windows does.

not sure if it was a creative (invented) thing or an MS mixer thing but its a known 'wart' about windows and their 'resample to 48k' pain-in-the-*****.

since its pretty much a 'windows thing' to do forced resampling, all unix and mac should be free of this.

Is there a way to bypass windows' re-sampling?

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #3,754 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just beware that if you're listening to this via windows, you are probably NOT getting 'your bits worth' unless you really know windows kernel-audio (asio?) config magic and bypass kmixer. fwiw.

Just installed the ASIO4ALL install on Windows and setup with foobar2000 is trivial.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #3,755 of 9,811
The Kernel Streaming plug-in for WinAMP works very well too, and requires almost zero effort to set up.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #3,756 of 9,811
the thing is, you need PLUGINS for your clients. things don't 'just plain work' when you move away from kmixer. apps have to 'know' about asio.

how do I get my fave client (MPC) to work with asio? that is what I've not been able to find out. I use the latest 'cinema' MPC if that matters. I've also tried VLC but again, its a different client and so it needs diff hacks to work with asio and I don't know those.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #3,757 of 9,811
Quote:

the thing is, you need PLUGINS for your clients. things don't 'just plain work' when you move away from kmixer.

Pick the right client and it will.
wink.gif

foobar2000: Download foobar2000 and optional components

ls206: your X-Fi card has native support for ASIO, you don't need ASIO4ALL, in fact you could even skip ASIO because Kernal Streaming gets you to the same place with even less eforrt.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #3,759 of 9,811
WinAMP can use ASIO or Kernel Streaming, there are plug-ins for both.

iTunes is generally rubbish for sound quality, and does not support ASIO or Kernel Streaming at all. If you like the interface Media Monkey is somewhat similar and uses WinAMP plug-ins, or if you like pain there is always Foobar2000.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3,761 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls206 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers mojo, I actually use it because of my iPod...I had to update it and kinda just stuck. Is it just the playback that is worse quality? I've imported a lot of through iTunes...

I use my iPod with WinAMP. You used to be able to do software updates without iTunes, but I think you have to use it now
frown.gif
Mine is a 3rd gen though so the last update was many moons ago.

iTunes is really bad in a lot of ways. Playback quality is much worse. It's bloated and slow. The AAC format it uses by default is not as good as LAME encoded MP3s or FLAC, and the MP3 decoder is not as good as the ones available for WinAMP.

The sound levelling feature, whatever it's called, is crap too. ReplayGain is much better and with WinAMP it is supported on the iPod too.

There are also annoyances like not being able to copy music off the iPod, or iTunes deleting music off the iPod because it's no longer in the library, or having to laboriously select all the stuff you want synced from a large library and unselect stuff when you want to remove it etc.

Tagging features are also rubbish compared to WinAMP, or even better a power tool like Tag&Rename.

There is a way to make iTunes output via Foobar, but it's a hack and you might as well just use WinAMP.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #3,762 of 9,811
PPA v1 in-progress:

2982282315_b1e86beb54_o.jpg

missing some resistors (I think that's all I'm missing from my parts bin for this project). can you believe it - waiting on stupid old resistors...
wink.gif
maybe they'll be in tomorrow's mail.

(photo: oly e330, zuiko 50mm f2.0 macro lens, raw capture, PSE6 for PP)

added: behind-the-scenes shot showing the vise and magnifier that I now use.

2983635957_3a2d57c34b_o.jpg

still very much a 'kitchen table' effort, LOL.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #3,763 of 9,811
Not much, but my first DIY amp build. A CMoY that I slightly deviated from tangent's original plans...

DSC_3102.jpg

DSC_3106.jpg

I'm pleased with this build, but already looking for the next better build. Any recommendations, I only use IEM's currently?

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3,764 of 9,811

Users who are viewing this thread

Back