Post pics of your builds....
Mar 30, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #3,151 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just finished my largest project so far: a pga2310-based preamp with headphone stage. my main goal was to support blind A/B listening tests, hence I got to utilize a microcontroller and spend a large part of the effort on the software
you can find more details about my build here

What.... No comment could do that justice. Great work!

EDIT: I suppose it deservers more than that. I like the way it reminds me of an older piece of electronic equipment, almost studio-like, specifically the source selection/mute buttons. Not sure exactly what piece of equipment, but it looks excellent. Casework and internal wiring as well as layout are very nice as usual.

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #3,152 of 9,811
Most impressive, Steinchen...

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #3,153 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh i maent to write 'tin' but i wrote cmoy. Yeh good work!
biggrin.gif

I heard this obscure british company called Altoids or something started shipping candy in CMOY tins. What will they think of next?

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #3,154 of 9,811
It's not an amp, but I'll post here at any rate.

These are some 3 way speakers I'm building for Marc (luvdunhill).

The baffles will slope back at the top, and are made of an MDF/Baltic Birch lamination. His design is pretty slick. They'll have magnets buried in the baffle for speaker grills ala Omega Audio. They will have Oak interior bracing, sonic barrier foam lining the panels and a rather good size port at the rear of the speaker, behind the tweeter. Spikes on the bottom, and nice binding posts at the rear.

Marc is building some huge outboard crossovers that will probably be incorporated into some stands.

It looks like these will be covered in figured Makore veneer.

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #3,155 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not an amp, but I'll post here at any rate.

These are some 3 way speakers I'm building for Marc (luvdunhill).

The baffles will slope back at the top, and are made of an MDF/Baltic Birch lamination. His design is pretty slick. They'll have magnets buried in the baffle for speaker grills ala Omega Audio. They will have Oak interior bracing, sonic barrier foam lining the panels and a rather good size port at the rear of the speaker, behind the tweeter. Spikes on the bottom, and nice binding posts at the rear.

Marc is building some huge outboard crossovers that will probably be incorporated into some stands.

It looks like these will be covered in figured Makore veneer.

\

Ehhh, first speaker build I've seen on these forums (except mines)! Going to be recessing those tweeters & midranges?

Brendan

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #3,156 of 9,811
Quote:

just finished my largest project so far: a pga2310-based preamp with headphone stage. my main goal was to support blind A/B listening tests, hence I got to utilize a microcontroller and spend a large part of the effort on the software

http://www.diamondstar.de/nx1/nx1_overview_800x600.jpg

Looks alright I suppose
biggrin.gif

Trust the germans to come up with a masterpiece, especially steinchen. Definately an old/new skool fusion there, and the overall quality gives it the appearance of expensive hi-fi equipment.

I also loved your switchbox in the same type of case, and makes my current attempt look feeble in comparison. But I have gone all out on connectors and parts as my machining equipment for the case is limited.

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #3,157 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
\

Ehhh, first speaker build I've seen on these forums (except mines)! Going to be recessing those tweeters & midranges?

Brendan

My idea would be to build a frame for the grills that was flush with the drivers and cut to fit snuggly around them, but it's up to the client.

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #3,158 of 9,811
I can't wait to see the finished product, Steve! Your work is always so beautiful. I'll have to pick your brain at some point in regards to speakers, but that's still some months off.

If I can defeat my laziness, I'll snap some pics of my recently completed balanced b22 tonight or tomorrow.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #3,159 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to see the finished product, Steve! Your work is always so beautiful. I'll have to pick your brain at some point in regards to speakers, but that's still some months off.

If I can defeat my laziness, I'll snap some pics of my recently completed balanced b22 tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks! Looking forward to your pics Jim.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #3,160 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
\

Brendan

Well, a subwoofer is a somewhat specialized speaker, so I guess it counts?
smily_headphones1.gif
The finish was roughly 80% done when I decided to take it back home and use it for a while; well that while ended up being nearly a year and it's now back in the wood shop for a proper finishing job. Right now I'd say there's about 10 coats of spray paint on the top and rear
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/fir...ensive-244596/

I've also contemplated building Zaph's SR-71 bookshelf since his crossover designs are rather amazing imho.

I'm also looking forward to your pics fierce!

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #3,161 of 9,811
Very nice work Nebby! I love that you took the time to make panels to cover the driver flanges, that makes all the difference in the world. Can't wait to see it finished, and the Cherry looks gorgeous. How does it sound?

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #3,162 of 9,811
Here are the pics. I'm already thinking of doing some mods, haha ;p Some nice front panels from FPE might be in the future, or maybe even some of Steve's awesome work.

b22:

mb22a.jpg

mb22b.jpg

mb22c.jpg

These cases are anodized all over. They pick up fingerprints like crazy, so they need to be cleaned. I couldn't be bothered before snapping som photos, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #3,163 of 9,811
Quote:

Very nice work Steinchen!

Also, nice B22 fierce_freak! I like the case (what is it?)... but yes, it does show fingerprints!

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #3,164 of 9,811
Quote:

It's really nice to see professional work of this level.
cool.gif

Ausgezeichnet Werk, Herr Steinchen !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back