Post pics of your builds....
Aug 3, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #2,356 of 9,811
You guys and your amazing builds....

I haven't seen any pics of the doublet amp yet, and I just finished mine on sunday after receiving the board from Sam at octopart.com.

It's basically 2 cmoys with the rail splitter additions for the ground and also a protection diode. Sorry for the webcam quality of the pics:

doublet.jpg

doublet2.jpg

doublet3.jpg

doublet4.jpg

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #2,357 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. I've build a crapload of pints, and never had a problem, all confirmed with an oscope.

X3. I built well over 20 of them. None of them had any sort of problems. All of them were tested with an oscilloscope.

-Alex-

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #2,358 of 9,811
Joshatdot CMoy v1.01 - Panasonic FM 220uF 25v power cap, EPCOS Metal Poly Film 1.0uF input caps, OPA2227PA with dual 9v batts in series, Yageo 1% 1/4 watt resistors, Alps RK097 Pot/Switch.

Three things I noticed when building this CMoy:

1. I need a new corded or cordless Drill. My dads 15+ year old crafts man 9.6v took forever to charge, and was weak! So I tried to use my Dremel. But my Dremel went crazy and eff'ed my all my holes.
2. I need a stepped uni-drill bit, hopefully one in metric. Standard metal/wood bits tore the thin Mint Tin metal.
3. I need a complete hex/allen wrench set. I could not firmly attach the knob to the POT.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #2,359 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joshatdot CMoy v1.01 - Panasonic FM 220uF 25v power cap, EPCOS Metal Poly Film 1.0uF input caps, OPA2227PA with dual 9v batts in series, Yageo 1% 1/4 watt resistors, Alps RK097 Pot/Switch.

Three things I noticed when building this CMoy:

1. I need a new corded or cordless Drill. My dads 15+ year old crafts man 9.6v took forever to charge, and was weak! So I tried to use my Dremel. But my Dremel went crazy and eff'ed my all my holes.
2. I need a stepped uni-drill bit, hopefully one in metric. Standard metal/wood bits tore the thin Mint Tin metal.
3. I need a complete hex/allen wrench set. I could not firmly attach the knob to the POT.

On the Unibit, it is a very nice bit, but I think it won't help a whole lot on the tin cans, as the aluminum is so weak it just bends in regardless. What needs to happen is a block of wood that is put up against the side of the container when drilling so that the metal doesn't bend in.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #2,360 of 9,811
Use a standard paper hole punch - the kind with the plier handles. It punches the most beautiful, perfectly shaped 1/4" holes in mint tins. You can use it to nibble square and rectangular holes, too. It will even cut through the rolled lip on the sides of the top.

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #2,361 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use a standard paper hole punch - the kind with the plier handles. It punches the most beautiful, perfectly shaped 1/4" holes in mint tins. You can use it to nibble square and rectangular holes, too. It will even cut through the rolled lip on the sides of the top.

Sweet idea! I never would have thought of a Paper Hole Punch!

Do they come in other sizes? Or will 1/4" be fine for all my holes? My IN/OUT jacks would fit nicely in a 6mm hole, and the Alps would fit in a 7mm hole.

edit: Oh...how would you center these punches? eye ball it?

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #2,362 of 9,811
I had one! And the paper hole punch works great! I just had to nip out the POT hole abit bigger, but the jacks fit perfectly!

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #2,363 of 9,811
Glad you agree! I can't take credit for the idea, though, someone else suggested it first - can't remember who. Anyway, I tried the hole punch on my recent Alien Dac's. I was surprised how well it worked:
AlienDAC-006-sm.jpg

AlienDAC-007-sm.jpg

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #2,365 of 9,811
Yay, my first diy amp and the first post here, too. This thread is infectious!
A $0 Cmoy, made entirely from parts that were kicking around.
I took the schematic from tangentsoft's tutorial, my dad actually did most of the soldering. I added a led, switch, battery leads, and cased it up of course.
The opamp is of a buck-a-dozen variety (ST TL072CN), left over from a guitar amp project. It sounds OK though not better than the stock Rio Karma I'm using it with. I think the next step is making a proper Cmoy with good-quality parts.
Right now it's driving either Ety ER-6i or Shure E3 - I'm not sure yet which ones to keep and which to sell - the amp was meant to help me decide!
etysmile.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #2,367 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mini3 Fresh Off The Oven!

I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Makes me want to build my other one
smily_headphones1.gif

Going to make your own faceplate or getting one in the group buy?

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #2,368 of 9,811
making my own face plate but theres one problem
the hammond 1455c801 had a defect.
i cannot fit the pcb inside.
i need to return it to farnell, have them ship another one from the US.
before i can start milling the front panel!

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #2,369 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
making my own face plate but theres one problem
the hammond 1455c801 had a defect.
i cannot fit the pcb inside.
i need to return it to farnell, have them ship another one from the US.
before i can start milling the front panel!

Ouch, that is not good to hear. Hope you get it soon.
Its a nice one to listen to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back