Post pics of your builds....
Mar 14, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #1,891 of 9,811
Thought I would post some images of my latest successful project. This is a tube based unity gain buffer which uses a 6922 tube. As Runeight described it" a unity gain low Zi high Zo switchbox capable of driving long cable runs" It has been a long time in the making as I kept allowing myself to be distracted. The disadvantage of it taking such a long time is that the final design evolved but I had already collected many of the parts and thus continued on the earlier version of the design. The design is one of Runeight's over at headwize http://headwize.com/ubb/showpost.php...=55702&fpage=1 . I have had it running for 2 days and it works like a gem. Not quite finished but good enough to get a taste as to what it sounds like..dB

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #1,892 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a unity gain low Zi high Zo switchbox capable of driving long cable runs

I think you got it backwards... it's high Zi low Zo. Otherwise it would be a bad load to the volume pot and can't drive a long cable...
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #1,893 of 9,811
indeed
blink.gif
, thanks AMB..dB

should have been:
" Occasionally we need a buffer between source and amplifier that has unity gain with a volume control and/or a source selector switch. People often use passive attenuators for this, but passive attenuators have problems because they generally have a high output impedance.

What is needed in this situation is an "active attenuator" that has high Zi, low Zo, and unity gain. We want this buffer to have as little THD as possible and it has to be able to drive cables of reasonable length."

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #1,894 of 9,811
A new pimeta- just finished up last night

Panasonic fm rail caps
OPA 637/627 combo
2x stacked smd BUF 634's
All vishay RN55
Trickle charger(LM317) based on Tomb's thread
2x 8.4V rechargable batts

How does it sound? Awesome. Fitting in a pocket=even better.
I think I've found my new favorite portable amp.

As for battery life, haven't done much testing yet, but it should be enough to last through the day with moderate use.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #1,895 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A new pimeta- just finished up last night

Panasonic fm rail caps
OPA 637/627 combo
2x stacked smd BUF 634's
All vishay RN55
Trickle charger(LM317) based on Tomb's thread
2x 8.4V rechargable batts

How does it sound? Awesome. Fitting in a pocket=even better.
I think I've found my new favorite portable amp.

As for battery life, haven't done much testing yet, but it should be enough to last through the day with moderate use.

Hey! That looks familiar. Great job!

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #1,897 of 9,811
Just finished improving the heatsink extension for my Dynahi.

Here's the one I had built before:

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_012.jpg

dynahi_main_boards_enclosure_013.jpg

In that first version I used a folded-over copper sheet to connect the right front main heatsink to the extension.

With that setup the two front heatsinks would get really really hot, while the extension would get just warm to the touch. A better heat-communicating path was needed, and that's why now I did this:

heatsink_extension_002.jpg

heatsink_extension_001.jpg

heatsink_extension_003.jpg

Believe it or not, those copper "belts" you see now connecting the two main heatsinks with the extension are (were) gas pipes. Got 3/4" diameter copper pipes from the hardware store (couldn't find larger), hammered the pipes down till they were flattened completely, and used them as shown.

This new approach not only provides a better heat conducting path, it also connects both front heatsinks to the extension, so the heat will be spread more uniformly overall.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #1,898 of 9,811
Hi all

@Tomb

Can you direct me to a link/website where i can get info on your Millet Max and Pimita?

John

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #1,900 of 9,811
Mar 19, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #1,901 of 9,811
rsaavedra: That's a really cool mod. My Dynahi runs pretty dang hot after about an hour of listening. I've got a big fan on it currently. Maybe some modding is in order.

Thanks for the ideas!

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #1,903 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBeardatXM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the enclosure, what was that extrusion for originally?

Dan

If you're talking about this one, I believe it's an old HeadRoom amp case:

ar3wz

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #1,904 of 9,811
I made a simple switch box yesterday (3 in 1 out).
Hammond case, Alps switch, some cheap-ish connectors and teflon insulated silver plaited stranded copper wire.
A classic combination, as one might say
smily_headphones1.gif

img_2903s.jpg

img_2904s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back