Post pics of your builds....
Jan 30, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #901 of 9,811
Just got the last part (toroid) for my DynaHi. Now time to case her up.

DSC01659b.jpg

Feb 5, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #904 of 9,811
Here's my M3 - What can I say, she sounds awesome. Compared to my PPA, the bass is stupendous. So much bass in fact I can't listen with 650's for that long. But, paired with my Ety's at work the match is great. Unfortunately, now I've heard the M3, my home PPA is sounding a little sterile. The M3 is pretty much stock build with no boutique parts at all - The first project to come in on budget!!

The outside. Didn't fancy another Hammond 1455 case so got a plain old cast aluminium box and painted it with hammerite:
IMG_1228.jpg

And the insides - Nothing too fancy here and a reasonably tidy build for me:
IMG_1266.jpg

More pics here.

PS. Gawd bless stepped drill bits.

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #905 of 9,811
pim1s3bm.jpg

pim2s2ua.jpg

Tangent's PIMETA Breadboard

-Socketed IC's, resistor block, bandwidth and cascode resistors.
-Molex KK pins - tin for PS, switch and LED; 20um gold plated for the signal pins.
-Soldered - caps, pot, R1/R2 divider, LED resistor

Pls notice that cascode resistor sockets are mounted low with respect to the OPALR socket and transitors are firmly pressed to the board so there's enough clearance for a resistor to fit below (dual) BrownDog.

And same PIMETA - mounted in a wooden box

img00220fy.jpg

img00289le.jpg

Here's the final configuration (for the relatively blant Sennies 580)

-AD8620/8610
-Diamond buffers (MJR243)
-4x1000uF Panasonic FM + 2x3.3uF Illinois Capacitor film caps
-Gain is 6.78
-Class A casscode
-10K pot/100K ground res
-24V regulated PSU (30V/400mA wallwart + "drop-in" LM7824)

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #906 of 9,811
Well, this is really the combination of a couple of things, but what the heck I feel like I haven't completed something in a long time so this is therapy
biggrin.gif

The enclosure for the Pinebox PPA was built as a result of prototyping a case for a friend's Millett which is languishing at my dad's shop as I continue to work like a madman. The amp section is a fairly maxed PPA V2 with Elna Silmic II PS caps, class A, OPA627s, gain of 4, bias blah blah, etc. etc. Power comes via a fully populated STEPS using Nichicon Muze caps and running a healthy 28V. Best part of the amp is the stepped attenuator which aside from the 4hrs (or so) it takes to build is the best sounding $40 volume control I've heard. Enjoy the pics and sorry for the marginal quality had to use the backup cam as the D70 is out getting cleaned.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #907 of 9,811
Didn't think I'll need more inputs, still missing input switch. But "completeness" of this thing is entirely based on the fact that I finally made that square hole for snap-in IEC socket
eek.gif
That was the biggest problem in this project. "Illumination" comes from two standard STEPS and M³ PCB leds. Enclosure is PAR-METAL 20-12082N. Thin HDPE sheet isolates whole top cover and sides.

sm_m3_inside.jpg

sm_m3_hdpe.jpg

sm_m3_bottom.jpg

m3_top.jpg

Feb 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #908 of 9,811
Feb 11, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #909 of 9,811
This is my first selfbuilt piece of electronics:
A wallwart with a 15 VA toroidal transformer and a TREAD board. As you can see it fits very nicely (and tight!) into the walwart casing. I used the wallwart casing because it cost me only EUR 4,50 and there is no need for an IEC inlet and fuse.

tread1.jpg

tread2.jpg

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #910 of 9,811
I love this DIY hobby. It's something I've had in my mind for many years but didn't act on. Now that I have started, I can't stop. HELP!!!!!

http://www.imagecabin.com/?view=9462613tDt6fj0cyCb68m3

The Marilyn Monroe is not my build. It is a PA2V2 that I removed from the plastic enclosure that it came in.

Superman mini lunch is a MINT. Elvis tin, Altoids tin, and Ohio State mini lunch are CMoys. I built another MINT in a New York Rangers mini lunch for my son. I have a James Dean tin and numerous Ohio State(GO BUCKS!) tins and mini lunches yet to use. Anxiously waiting for recently ordered CMoy2 pcbs(I despise the Radio Shack board) and the soon to be released PINT and Mini(cubed). My longterm ideas are to build up(pun intended) to higher end head amps and eventually build some very nice home audio(2 channel) for serious listening when I retire within the next few years.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #911 of 9,811
Hi All!

One of these days has completed Pimeta. Many thanks to Tangent's and all head-fier's.
Now I think what to build: M3 or PPA?

IMG_5113.sized.jpg

IMG_5121.sized.jpg

IMG_5122.sized.jpg

IMG_5143.sized.jpg

Pop blue lights
wink.gif

IMG_5129.sized.jpg

Full work log in here

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #913 of 9,811
I finally got around to casing up a Dynalo that I've had built for quite some time. I didn't feel like using the normal Hammond, etc., so I grabbed cigar box. After drilling/cutting all the holes, I put 3 coats of semi-gloss lacquer on it. This is built on a Rev. B dgardner board from the group buys. It uses std. Vishay-Dale resistors, Pana FM and Evox MKP caps, Alps Blue pot. Also has an Amb e12 board (v1.1 from Guzzler), Neutrik output and Switchcraft mini input jacks.

jambo_top1.JPG

jambo_inside.JPG

jambo_inside_fr.JPG

jambo_rear.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back