Post pics of your builds....
Dec 19, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #856 of 9,811
Hey guys, just wanted to share my first try at a 10k stepped attenuator. The switch is from triode.com.

Over 200 solder joints later...

front_small.jpg

bottom_small.jpg

top_small.jpg

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #857 of 9,811
Thats nice, approx how much did it cost you to make? I am going to do alps pots in my next M3 amp unless I can get some decently cheap stepped attens

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #858 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Thats nice, approx how much did it cost you to make? I am going to do alps pots in my next M3 amp unless I can get some decently cheap stepped attens

Damn cheap compared with goldpoint attenuators. I spent 25 for the switch, 2 dollars for the proto boards and approximately 35 dollars for the resistors (bought resistors in bulk of course, enough to make 3 more attenuators). So about 37 dollars total for one attenuator. Now for the amp...

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #859 of 9,811
Here's my first born head phone amp. It is loosly based on this http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...ammer2_prj.htm But different tubes voltages and power supply and ...well, it's a long tailed pair driving 4 paralleled cethode followers. Sounds great. Gain is about 4 and drives my Sennheiser HD570's to tears. I'm also including RCA outs for use as a preamp.

On to the pics

First is self evident
Second is the bottom view of the circuit board. I used the laser printer transparency iron on method
Third is a close up of the front. I have seperate heater, B+,mute switches, Then Input select, crossfade, volume (all left to right)
And of course, the glowing view. The switches are in polished copper, and the knobs mounted in sanded plexiglass back lit with red LEDs. I'm also waiting for a piece of glass to mount under the top plate that will hang out over the tubes and be edgelit with red LEDs.

I need to draw up the schematic to share and learn how to link images.

Dec 20, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #860 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Donaldson
Here's my first born head phone amp.

eek.gif
eek.gif
That's some mighty fine looking work you've done there Brian!

Nate

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #861 of 9,811
Finally finished my Millett tonight! Got the knobs in the mail today which were the finishing touch. The top is zebrawood and polished aluminum, while the box is bamboo. Hope ya'll like it!

Millett1.jpg

Millett2.jpg

Millett3.jpg

Millett4.jpg

Millett5.jpg

Millett6.jpg

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #864 of 9,811
Millet has been done for a while, but just haven't got around to posting pics.....

EPSN2608.JPG

EPSN2609.JPG

EPSN2624.JPG

EPSN2625.JPG

EPSN2626.JPG

Its my first DIY amp and it turned out great, but I also messed up quite a bit

a few notes: The top was not ment to be raw aluminum....the dremel slipped....so I was forced to make a design change

The 1/4 jack and pot are down a little from center, because I have a tread kit inside the case up against the right side

I also accidentaly switched the front and back panels around on the hammond....they should be switched

Its got Cerafines in the C2 postion, white LED's under the tubes. Ihave 12fk6's in there right now, I prefer there larger sound stage and more laid back vocals to the 12AE6. Well thats about it....next up is a modified linkwitz crossfeed and an M^3 hopefully in 3-6 months

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #867 of 9,811
This is my first take on Sijosae's iHybrid Nano - in an Altoid Sours tin.

It's not a bad little amp. His suggested 100k trimpot may be too low of a value. I ended up settling on a Philips NE5532 for the opamp. jrc4580 and opa2111 also sounded pretty good.

img_0533.sized.jpg

img_0537.sized.jpg

img_0536.sized.jpg

Sorry, no obligatory glowey picture. The 6111 is barely two dots of red in the dark anyway, and since it's inside the tin i made no effort to illuminate it.

Perfboard is from some one-horse outfit called Measure Explorer. It's very good pcb material and has a masked groundplane.

Also slightly proud of my wallwart hack. $2 thrift store 12vdc 500ma wart, replaced original 470uf cap with a 1000uf cap, 1n4001 diodes with 1n5817, added snubbers (possibly not needed with schotts), and bolted in an LDO 12v regulator.

img_0529.sized.jpg

Regulator is a Sanken SI-3122V. TO-3P formfactor, it's rated at 2 amps with a minimum voltage drop of 1 volt. It's performing very well. Unlike a 7812 or lm317, when it's only asked for 350ma it doesn't get hot enough to require a heatsink. Plus since the legs are fairly far apart, it was very easy to solder the protection diode and input and output caps directly. The package also electrically insulates the bolt that fixes it to the inside of the wallwart.

The datasheet called for "approximately .33uf" of ceramic caps between input and ground to prevent oscillation. I don't have any .33uf ceramics and the .33uf film caps i have are enormous, so i used approximately three .1uf discs. Ugly, but it works.

This amp runs fairly hot. the heatsink on the 7806 gets up to about 65c.

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #869 of 9,811
Well..... I have been thinking about a crossfeed filter design for a long time.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

The years have passed and I continued to develop my studies about it...

I had too greatest inspirations Alexander Calder circus and Jason's friday 13th....and NOW I'am gonna show you guys the results!!!
(not for the faint hearted)
evil_smiley.gif

Functionalaty+design+modern art+design+portability = Ven/kwitz Filter

linkwotz2.jpg

venkwitz.jpg

vinwz.jpg

linkwotz.jpg

orphsmile.gif

now i consider myself a master diy builder heheheheh
k1000smile.gif

It's a Meier Bass Enhanced Crossfeed made with the parts I had here....I made it just to spend my night doing something, kind of a therapy....look at the output ( its a cheap phone directely soldered)
eggosmile.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #870 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvenosa
Well..... I have been thinking about a crossfeed filter design for a long time.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

The years have passed and I continued to develop my studies about it...

I had too greatest inspirations Alexander Calder circus and Jason's friday 13th....and NOW I'am gonna show you guys the results!!!
(not for the faint hearted)
evil_smiley.gif

Functionalaty+design+modern art+design+portability = Ven/kwitz Filter

now i consider myself a master diy builder heheheheh
k1000smile.gif

It's a Meier Bass Enhanced Crossfeed made with the parts I had here....I made it just to spend my night doing something, kind of a therapy....look at the output ( its a cheap phone directely soldered)
eggosmile.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Its a work of art!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back