Post pics of your builds....
May 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5,071 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, yeah tell me about it. I only had couple minutes to get some shots, so they were rushed and hand held. Wish I had had more time.

I thought you were purposely using selective focus to emphasize that nice panel work!
wink.gif

May 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #5,073 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were purposely using selective focus to emphasize that nice panel work!
wink.gif

...yeah, that's what I meant
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at the risk of staring another long one (lol) - is it actually ok to stack transformers like that? we already talked about the 'shorted turn' thing - but is there any issue with stacking toroids?

Let me take me usual position of 'What, no way'. But seriously I'm pretty sure this one is ok
evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5,076 of 9,811
Oh yeah, forgot to say, Nice work RDS.

May 27, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #5,077 of 9,811
Here is my KGTT + DAC (based on TwistedPearAudio.com OPUS DAC).

I just completed the case work for the DAC so that it matches the KGTT. The DAC has a USB input and Balanced and Single-ended outputs. The filter converts the balanced outputs to single ended by summing the inverting and non-inverting inputs.

KGTT + DAC - Front and back
2009q20525075.jpg

2009q20525074.jpg

2009q20525079.jpg

Inside of DAC. From right to left is the USB input module (outputs I2S), OPUS DAC (WM8741), Filter, and Power Supplies.
These boards were all hand etched base on the TwistedPearAudio OPUS DAC. The WM8741 pads are about 12 mils (I'm surprised I was able to do this). I did the filter layout based on the Mfg spec for the WM8741. I'm thinking of putting a Dynalo in the front of the DAC. Not sure yet.
2009q20524057.jpg

Here is the bottom of the KGTT. I put I gave it plenty of ventilation.
2009q20525084.jpg

Here are three shots of the PTP wiring. I used silver solder on the connections. For better or worse, I connected the ground to the chassis earth. The DAC is not so I should not have ground loop issues.
2009q20525089.jpg

2009q20525090.jpg

2009q20525092.jpg

Here is the top without the cover on. You can see the PS is mounted to the bottom and that there is a plate that I used to mount all the tube sockets / wiring that sits under the top cover.
2009q20525097.jpg

I'm now working on a BHSE. I've complete the power supply and I'm working on a delay relay for the HT at the moment. I'm hoping to have this built in the next couple of months (just not enough time in the day).

May 27, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #5,078 of 9,811
Outrageously nice, Kerry.

WRT to stacking toroids, it actually helps reduce the magnetic interference, making one field, rather than 2. I always stack mine when using multiples, or a dedicated shielded cavity.

May 27, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #5,079 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Outrageously nice, Kerry.

WRT to stacking toroids, it actually helps reduce the magnetic interference, making one field, rather than 2. I always stack mine when using multiples, or a dedicated shielded cavity.

Thanks. I'm really enjoying myself.

I didn't know about stacking the toroids. That's a good idea. The height on this case might prevent it. What else would you recommend for magnetic shielding?

May 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5,080 of 9,811
Beautiful builds RDS and Kerry!

I'm going have to go look at the Opus again. My current system sounds wonderful, but that evil little voice in the back of my head keeps asking, "what would a balanced system sound like with these 650s?"
evil_smiley.gif

RDS, what are those knobs for?

Kerry, what's the KGTT amp? Looks like an all tube amp? I've been eyeballing a Bijou, but I doubt that will be the last amp I build
tongue.gif

If either of you are so inclined, could you post or PM any helpful links to the balanced DAC?

May 27, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #5,081 of 9,811
a simple Gainclone i built for a good friend.

-LM3875 chips soldered P2P with terminal strips and the PS on Vectorbord.
-schematic is Peter Daniel's of Audiosector.com, with obvious aesthetic influence from PD as well.
-chassis is DIY with sanded aluminum and tung oiled cherry wood.

May 27, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #5,082 of 9,811
Kerry,
absolutely beautiful!!! elegant layout as well.

May 27, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #5,084 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-chassis is DIY with sanded aluminum and tung oiled cherry wood.

Very nice fishski13, you always do an excellent job with brushing your aluminums, plus the wood touch looks very elegant.

May 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #5,085 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I'm really enjoying myself.

I didn't know about stacking the toroids. That's a good idea. The height on this case might prevent it. What else would you recommend for magnetic shielding?

The Millett Max in my sig has the venerable Nabu case, with the shield wall, as does the Millett Hybrid (a plate of steel), and to a lesser extent the Sun cases on my m³. Not that you will ever really notice the difference, but if the case allows, it's some limited shielding assurance. As always the case height really determines if you can stack, or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back