Apr 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #4,726 of 9,811
My current "compact" platform
smily_headphones1.gif

CompactIpodAmplifier.jpg

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #4,730 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gamma lite, I understand.

mini3 in such a large box? THAT I don't quite get. or maybe its just an 'all AMB' build?
wink.gif

m3 would have been so much nicer in that combo, no?

An M³ board is 5" x 7". It would have requires a much larger case than that.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #4,731 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like that setup, but you have to admit, it has an extremely low WAF factor (lol!)

Does any workbench have WAF? If so, you have a much more understanding wife.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #4,733 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by v3nom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey man, i like your knobs
evil_smiley.gif

I like that 'scope!

I have been thinking about getting one for ages. In the end though I will probably get a cheaper logic analyser instead.

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #4,737 of 9,811
more progress on my DIY volume control (Volumaster, if you will)
wink.gif

3408891348_5ef7f71c9c_o.jpg

3408083591_e838bd90ba_o.jpg

this is how life starts when you are in test-bed mode (lol). the boards are glued (hot melt is your friend!) to the chassis just to keep things in place, for now. the lcd display hole was cut, by hand, with a nibbling tool. ouch. chassis work is painful ;(

things are going to look rough until I get a better feel for how much space I need inside and how many controller pins I can 'do things with' that make sense in a preamp/switcher context.

the case was from some old video switcher or something; I bought it just to take its aluminum chassis and throw the rest out
wink.gif

what is in the circuit: the arduino in the blue larger size board near the lcd. I have fitted the amb y1 dac board behind it but its not connected yet.

the power supply is providing +5v for the arduino and other logic (vol control chip, included). PS also provides a 10v from a TREAD that I am rail-splitting with a TLE chip. that split 5 is going into the PGA2310 volume control chip.

there are 2 PGA circuits here but only 1 is being used. the one I built on perf board is on the rear center and is not hooked up. what IS hooked up is the board from ERROR401, his 'minivol' board. I converted that to work with my arduino software. it was not a problem
wink.gif
his board is the one connected to the dual red shielded rca cables, sort of dangling in air, supported by the cables, themselves.

the db9-db9 thing is a 'firecracker' from x10 that gives wireless power control over appliances. I am using x10 things to turn various stereo devices on and off (for example, as I switch my output from 'speaker' to 'headphones' it knows that speaker is x10 code 'E1' and my beta22 amp is on code 'E3'. so it sends an E1,OFF to the speaker amp and an E3,ON to my phones amp, just by switching outputs from speaker to phones).

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #4,738 of 9,811
linux-works, you must have some very well stocked electronics supply houses where you live! Living in a small town definitely has advantages, but it's a HUGE handicap to do those sorts of projects. I have to ship everything and those shipping charges add up quick
frown.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #4,739 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linux-works, you must have some very well stocked electronics supply houses where you live! Living in a small town definitely has advantages, but it's a HUGE handicap to do those sorts of projects. I have to ship everything and those shipping charges add up quick
frown.gif

Indeed he does (as I do, since he lives just a few miles from me). We're lucky to be in the middle of Silicon Valley, and Halted Electronics is the place to get stuff. See a recent New York Times video about it:

Halted: The Last of a Dying Breed - The New York Times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back