Post pics of your builds....
Mar 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #4,577 of 9,811
got a better pic (in the light of day!). Very pleased with this build. I really tempted to build the compact hybrid and stick that in there too!

preampfront2.jpg

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #4,579 of 9,811
thanks matt.

I am suprised by the difference the buffer has made to the sound. i's be suprised if my cable runs has signficant capacitance to roll off the highs, but i do appear to be getting better treble extension.

The R2R vol control is also a step up from the alps pot, so it could be that adding to the benefits too.

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #4,580 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got a better pic (in the light of day!). Very pleased with this build. I really tempted to build the compact hybrid and stick that in there too!

preampfront2.jpg

Very nice adamus!!! Can I ask why have you buffered the volume control? Impedance matching? Which amp are you connecting this to? Would this volume control work with a CTH without buffering?

Sorry, a lot of questions
redface.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #4,581 of 9,811
yes, impedance matching. The R2R has an ouput resistance of 10k, which is not ideal for my valve amp, imho it needs buffering.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #4,583 of 9,811
deleted

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #4,584 of 9,811
hey adam, I saw the r2r post from the person you bought your lcd/relay kit from.

I was about to buy one as well but then decided 'why not try my OWN version'. I was asking the seller if he could change the device names and then I decided that diy'ers really do deserve to have control over their own UI.

the interface from my lcd project will support both the 6-8bit relay parallel protocol as well as the PGA volume control chip serial protocol, so if you wanted, you could simply swap out his controller for one like mine, load my code and you'd be able to change things around all you want.

ie, rather than ask that guy for a dot-graph volume control display, I just wrote my own.

anyway, if anyone wants to mix/match, this should be possible. I will be providing source and instructions on how to customize this, once things are worked out and demo-able.

btw, could we have an inside shot of the gear? you did a nice job on the outside - I'd like to see the inside too, if possible
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #4,585 of 9,811
Adam, can you point me to that volume knob?

linuxworks, im intrested in your project, im just stupid when it comes to programming these microcontrollers from scratch.

Let us know once you have got somewhere becuase im definatly intrested in using the source code.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #4,586 of 9,811
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #4,587 of 9,811
Quote:

adamus, that's such a beauty!

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #4,588 of 9,811
zk, based on your advise I went to the hardware shop and picked up a MDF stair, 1.5" thick and about 1.5' x 5' very dense and heavy so that should make for quick and easy casings along with some hammered black spray paint. Should make life a lot easier for a lot of things thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #4,589 of 9,811
Quote:

rhys

Linuxworks, I'll post a pic of the insides tonight maybe, got to tidy up the wiring behind the rack, so will have it out. Also, re your controller, i was very tempted to do it myself too, but for the price i paid BBP, I couldnt have made it myself for less, bad times in the uk, our currency appears to be ill!

if you're interested at some point, we should try to retrofit my controller/code to your relay stepper and lcd. you should not have to change the lcd or stepper - but just install a new atmel chip and board and of course tap into the 6 or 7 control wires for the relay addressing and the lcd, too. I don't remember of that uses 4bit lcd interfacing, 8bit or if its serial (do you know)?

here is a series of lcd 'screen shots' showing what happens when you change input selectors (the volume auto-resets to last value for THAT input device). new bargraph style display, too (trying different ones out for size)

3360631740_2cc808df30.jpg

3360631646_945e38b04d.jpg

3360631554_5082c72f3c.jpg

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #4,590 of 9,811
Linuxworks, what microcontroller are you using? Im intrested in re rigging your setup to have maybe 2 balanced inputs, 2 single ended inputs and a balanced output, all with invidividual volume controls like the above.

How are you controlling the volume for the coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back