Post pics of your builds....
Sep 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #3,648 of 9,811
Thanks for the kind words gents !

@xTr3Me.aka.Chris
This amp is a birthday present for my GF, the colors used is her preference.
tongue.gif

However I can understand your personal preference.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #3,652 of 9,811
Time for a progress report. Had to work last weekend so I didn't get to play with the amp. But had a free day today, so I got some work done.

Oh, someone asked about the iron - it's all Hammond.

Here are the pics:

DSC_0010.JPG

I managed to cut the side fins and have them temporarily stacked in the sides. Had to balance them to get them to stand up, but they will stick out 3/4" after drilled and mounted. The fins' corners will get the same radius as the sides, bottom plate and top.

You'll also see that I cut the bottom plate to size, shortened the front and back pieces a touch and put a radius on them.

By the way, I've been tracing around a penny for the radius on every corner! It was handy and easy to scribe around, and I've used one everywhere for consistency.

DSC_0008.JPG

Here you can see the inside with the top off. I cut the two inside barrier strips from the same 3/4" aluminum. The amp circuit goes inside the part in the far right corner, the power supply in the rest. 3/4" is complete overkill for RFI shielding, but I had a 7' piece and plenty left over.

DSC_0012.JPG

Side with the top on. All those spacers will line up - I need to drill the mounting holes next weekend.

DSC_0014.JPG

Overview with the top on. It's hard to see, but in the far side of the largest cutout, there's a piece of 1/2" angle aluminum. I wasted a lot of time trying to file the cutouts square. It was working, generally, but took a whole lot of time and never really looked right. So I found a strip of 1/2" x 1/2" angle aluminum. I cut all the pieces today, but didn't have time to file and fit them in place before it got dark. Anyhow, each cutout will have a surround of the angle aluminum so they will be square.

Of course, that means I have to make new mounting plates for everything, but that isn't so bad. I screwed up one of them already, so I had to do one. Also, I found the perfect Greenlee punch that will let me hang the sockets under the plates - like I originally wanted to.

I am hoping to get the casework finished up by next weekend and off to the powdercoater the Monday after next. That will give me a fighting chance to have it ready for the LA meet. And I hope to have more pictures and progress next Sunday!

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #3,658 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wanted to ask this...why is there a pot shaft? What's the use of it? Can't you mount the knob directly to the pot, without an extension rod?

Is to keep the wiring as short as possible between the input on the pot. It will minimize the risk of interference.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #3,660 of 9,811
Hi All,
My latest build, a couple of SOHAs. I made the enclosures out of Walnut and went for a bit of a retro feel. One has a Alien DAC built in, the other doesn't. Turned out pretty well and sound great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back