Post pics of your builds....
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #196 of 9,811
My amp on the top and the one I built for my friend on the bottom. The knobs on the lower amp are Suzurando brushed aluminium knobs. Very nice feel and build although slightly more costly than the average alu. knobs. =)

rev2_rev3_front.jpg

A single level X-feed I built for my friend. It's based on the Meier bass-enhanced X-feed. The 0.22uF caps are Multicap RTX whilst the 47nF cap is a Rel-cap RT. All 3 are polystyrene film and foil. The resistors are Riken RMA resistors.

xfeedbrd4ma.jpg

2 inputs selectable using an Augat switch with silver-plated contacts and gold-plated lugs. Available from Welborne Labs (About US$14).

rearpanel1cv.jpg

Very tightly packed on the inside. The crossfeed board had to go under the PSU board (sadly, since the crossfeed looks better through the ventilation slots). The Hovland Musicaps are DC blocking caps. The bridge rectifiers built using HEXFRED's coupled with Evox MMK caps. Transformer is a Nuvotem Talema.

innards3ek.jpg

I'm sorry if anyone wants to know where the case can be bought online. However, I have no idea as I bought it from an electronics shop in Singapore. I don't even have a clue as to who the manufacturer is.
It's a very nice case with a 1.5mm - 2mm thick brushed aluminium faceplate.
There is another 1mm steel plate behind it and makes a bitch of aligning holes on both panels.

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #197 of 9,811
dblab USB DAC based on guzzler's rev.A board:

DSC_2012-Medium.JPG

DSC_2015-Medium.JPG

DSC_2023-Medium.JPG

DSC_2031-Medium.JPG

DSC_2035-Medium.JPG

DSC_2043-Medium.JPG

I had a Hammond case lying around from previous PPA projects, so I decided to use it for the DAC. I coupled the output Black Gate NX Hi-Qs with some Angela/SCR 0.33uF tin foil caps. This coupling quite significantly brought out the mids and highs compared to BGs alone, and I'm very pleased with the results.

I currently have two amps connected from the DAC, I put three pairs of RCA outputs (paralleled) just because there was just enough space for three. I had the two amps previously connected with an RCA splitter, it should be better that the splitter is now eliminated from the chain.

All internal wiring is 22AWG teflon sleeved silver. Battery holder is Bulgin 4xAA tray type, and it's connected in parallel internally (2 x 3V).

Anyway, the DAC sounds excellent, a substantial improvement over my bypass/blackgate modded OptoPlay.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #201 of 9,811
Thanks for all your kind words!

Quote:

You've got to give more details on how that's done - the etching of lettering on there and stuff.

I laid out the design in Pro/ENGINEER (made a 3D model to make sure everything would fit), then exported the part drawings to AutoCAD and plotted the design directly to a laser cutter in the machine shop at school. The etching is done the same way, using slightly higher speed so that the laser only cuts through halfway.

If you have access to a laser cutter at school or work, it's a nice, fast, cheap way to get good looking results!
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #202 of 9,811
That looks wicked, I was hoping to do something similar with a PPA in a hammond
smily_headphones1.gif
Unfortunately, laser cutters aren't generally put in every college! </dremel action>

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #203 of 9,811
Here's my PPA, it's amost 100%. I need a better volume knob and I need to put the NIMHs in. Otherwise, it works great from wall power.

My switches allow me to Change Gain from roughly 6 to 12. I have a crossfeed switch, and of course the Bass Boost.
ppa05.jpg

Here's the back:
ppa06.jpg

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #205 of 9,811
Label maker at work. It prints Text on Clear plastic stickers. Which I applied.
Thanks for the comment...

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #207 of 9,811
if you guys want custom labelling you should check out local decal places, i got a quote on a project from one near me, and it was really cheap and u could choose whatever font you wanted. just apply decal then clearcoat
smily_headphones1.gif

also check local industrial engravers, my local one turned out to be dirt cheap and my friend at an engineering firm says they do a grade work.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #208 of 9,811
I finally finished my 2nd pimeta that I rebuilt with an Alps stepped attenuator. It sounds brilliant. I did not think that it would make such a difference. It was my first stepped attenuator, so I decided to socket all of the resistors in case the attenuation curve was not to my liking. I also had to learn how to deal with momentary switches and debounce. All in all, it was a satisfying educational experience. I will now try to determine were to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #209 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
You are indeed a DIY god - the quality of your work never ceases to amaze me.
smily_headphones1.gif

My portable ppa ( that doobooloo builded a while ago for me ) share the look of his last project
beige case + transparent faceplate .. very beautiful togheter

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #210 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
I finally finished my 2nd pimeta that I rebuilt with an Alps stepped attenuator. It sounds brilliant. I did not think that it would make such a difference. It was my first stepped attenuator, so I decided to socket all of the resistors in case the attenuation curve was not to my liking. I also had to learn how to deal with momentary switches and debounce. All in all, it was a satisfying educational experience. I will now try to determine were to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

whoa! that is a really nice enclosure.. what kind of button is that and where did you get it?? very slick..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back