Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,606 of 5,380
A collateral damage #? while on youtube too precious not to share. Never knew something this eye catching ever existed:

Nice! Thanks for posting. My first reaction was, what's a Rega glass platter doing there? HA.

May 22, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #4,607 of 5,380
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0635.jpg
Mark Lanegan's Blues Funeral on my VPI Classic. Just amazing stuff.

Also got the SS threaded clamp and MDF base recently. Nice improvement!

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4,608 of 5,380

Beautiful setup... congrats!

May 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,610 of 5,380

Beauty! Looks like a great system.
Nothing special here, just a Project Debut Carbon with a cork/rubber mat and iFi Audio iPhono preamp

Looks real nice to me!

May 24, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #4,611 of 5,380
Nice! Thanks for posting. My first reaction was, what's a Rega glass platter doing there? HA.

I can no longer remember - exactly - which video of Transcriptors Transcriber, the ultimate (1979 ?) expression of David Gammon's idea of low mass/high compliance approach, has resulted in the discovery of the Kurtzmann from 1921 - so I decided to post all the suspects. Right off the bat - from the original brochure, no peeping ( I do have it in my archive ) :

" ... mechanisms are fascinating to operate and watch ... "

TBH - the real video I have been searching for was for the Transcriptors Vestigal tonearm - one that is - at least visually - correctly set up. There are better quality and resolution videos of Vestigal in action available ( usually on the Trancriptors Skeleton turntable ) - only to show ridiculously poor set-up ( one having VTA off by a "mere" 30+ degrees ... (!) ) or modified units. This one is rather murky as a video, but does show the stock Vestigal in action set up correctly and in great detail :

All of these "fish tanks" precede anything Rega - and the first Rega TT, Rega Planet, was a knock off Transcriptors - on the cheap : https://zstereo.co.uk/2015/02/16/rega-planet/

The greatest failure of all Transcriptors turntables has always been the record support - up to maximum 8 minuscule rubber pads, hopelessly inadequate of supporting the record across its whole area. I have seen glass and acrylic "mats" used on Transcriptors decks instead of those rubber pads as early as 1977 - and if using glass variety, only a slightly less clear "optics"
than in this "matless = stock" Skeleton is achievable - for those with aesthetics as a prime priority : as of lately there is 5 media limit per post, only as a link :

The Rega Planet had the same problem - and used the same solution initially. Fast forward, it evolved to today's range.

As Michell Engineering has been producing Transcriptors Reference turntables at some point in time both as OEM for Transcriptors and under its own name ( and possibly for Transrotor in Germany ), eventually the record support issue has been solved by inversing the traditional Transcriptors platter upside down, first introduced in Michell Gyrodec and its subsequnt versions; here a nicely done video on SE :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9C5M-vWoQ

As you can see, this last video uses a Rega arm - a design that made most other arms of comparable cost obsolete at its introduction. It takes much, much more money to buy a trully better tonearm - and I hold Rega arms in much higher esteem than its turntables. I have yet to come across their latest cartridge 0fferings - Apheta 2 and up - which appearently solved the sample to sample differences better than almost everybody else - that, despite decidedly non-Rega pricing, might even elevate them to bargain status.

May 29, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #4,612 of 5,380
0526171555.jpg

Made some sawdust in my garage yesterday

(SP-15, RB250, 2M Bronze. Out of view below: Phonobox, O2 serving as a preamp, Firstwatt Aleph J)

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #4,613 of 5,380

(SP-15, RB250, 2M Bronze. Out of view below: Phonobox, O2 serving as a preamp, Firstwatt Aleph J)
Which kind of the sawdust was left in your garage ? I like the " precise, but raw enough" finish of the plinth. How does it sound ?

Should you decide to stick with this TT for a while, you may wish to upgrade the tonearm to Audiomods
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/index.html
( whatever the current - or , depending on the money and skill available, even one of their kits ) - it is a drop in replacement, as it starts life as RB-250 or, more recently, RB202/303 .

May 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,614 of 5,380
IMG_0052.jpg
nottingham analogue spacedeck

May 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #4,615 of 5,380
_DSC1551.jpg

May 29, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4,616 of 5,380

Love the look. Bet it sounds terrific!

May 29, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #4,617 of 5,380
Love the look. Bet it sounds terrific!

It does indeed! I can't get over the absolutely pitch black background, quieter than any belt drive table I've heard.

Which kind of the sawdust was left in your garage ? I like the " precise, but raw enough" finish of the plinth. How does it sound ?

Baltic birch, to be exact. I actually haven't glued the layers together yet, been too busy listening to take it back apart. Will stain or varnish, leaving the lamination exposed, I like that look.

May 29, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #4,618 of 5,380
Ooops - CAUTION ALERT ! I hope you do realize that layers of wood ( or any other material for that matter ) behave much differently when just placed on top of each other, when bolted together and when glued together . The quality of sound in most cases decreases - in that exact very order. Just placing on top of each other is not practical for commercially available products, glued together sounds poor, which leaves us with bolted together as the most used option. It has all to do with damping - by more/too firm contact all friction between the layers is eliminated and therefore damping becomes very poor. Many turntable platters an plinths are bolted affairs as a result - almost never glued together.

May 31, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #4,620 of 5,380

Users who are viewing this thread

Back