Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Oct 14, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #4,516 of 5,380
  I'm gonna hold out for a free floating platter that plays records via a laser!:wink:

That would be the only reasonable application for the magnet levitated/driven turntable. 

However, laser has proven itself to be inferior to god ol* stylus - because it can not scan wavelengths required without laser wavelength becoming dangerous to people vision. The development of laser turntable has begun by conventional phono cartridge manufacturer ADC ( which bankrupted as a result ... ), carried on by ADC being bailed out by a Bank ( which also went belly up as a result...) , somewhere in time it was being called Finial ( that did sell a handful of - extremely expensive -  machines ) - which brings us to the present day owner/producer of laser turntables, ELP of Japan. All the advantages of mechanical contact free reproduction pale in direct comparison with a conventional turntable roughly the cost of an ELP machine ( low 5 digit / high 4 digit in $ ). Couple that to the necessity to clean ( preferably ultrasonic, at least vacuum ) each side prior to each play ( light beam reads any debris/fluff as signal, can not sweep small amounts of debris as conventional stylus can without objectionable artefacts ... ) - you get the picture ...

Were it pure cost issues with laser turntable, that would have been long ago made non-issue; there are many conventional turntables exceeding the price of even the costliest ELP. I would , given the money, be put up with the annoyance of having to clean each side of the record prior to each play; but not with the lacklustre sound.

And, of course, I am interested in retaining my vision as long as possible.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #4,517 of 5,380
  Most. Pretentious. Video. Ever. :p

He's not even sitting in the sweet spot!
angry_face.gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #4,519 of 5,380
Reunited with my turntable and vinyl after 27 years. 
It's just a Beogram 5000 but it's pretty cool. Sounds sweet too!

Records are a lot more fun to hold!

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #4,521 of 5,380
I HEAR you!
regular_smile .gif

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #4,522 of 5,380
  B&O made great turntables and they're beautiful too like Braun products back in the days. Too bad the they run on proprietary components and if the cart/stylus sold out then you can't do much.

I think Soundsmith has replacement cartridges/stylii.  No worries.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #4,523 of 5,380
I bought a Soundsmith, it's working really well!

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #4,525 of 5,380
The turntable is decidedly mid-fi but it was pretty nice in 1984 when I bought it.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #4,526 of 5,380
  The turntable is decidedly mid-fi but it was pretty nice in 1984 when I bought it.

All is cool.

This is also mid-fi but, you know what?  I still love it.

Oct 16, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #4,527 of 5,380
Oct 17, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #4,528 of 5,380
Shamefully bad-quality cellphone pics. But of really, really great quality analog. Absolutely in bliss with this analog rig. Recently acquired a new Koetsu Coralstone, as my Onyx Platinum is off to Japan for a full rebuild. Both cartridges are money well spent. Perfect synergy on this rig. Stands are not high-end (I'll spend lots of money on some stupid stuff, but not on a stand), but have been filled with lots of lead shot, and I added a simple maple platform (handmade by a local friend) -- this does the trick towards sufficient vibration control; the 50 lbs turntable does the rest. I play loud on some very big Tannoy Canterbury speakers, so if there was a problem with vibration control I'd know it. Silver cabling; I do think it made a difference.

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #4,529 of 5,380
Oct 17, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #4,530 of 5,380
  Shamefully bad-quality cellphone pics. But of really, really great quality analog. Absolutely in bliss with this analog rig. Recently acquired a new Koetsu Coralstone, as my Onyx Platinum is off to Japan for a full rebuild. Both cartridges are money well spent. Perfect synergy on this rig. Stands are not high-end (I'll spend lots of money on some stupid stuff, but not on a stand), but have been filled with lots of lead shot, and I added a simple maple platform (handmade by a local friend) -- this does the trick towards sufficient vibration control; the 50 lbs turntable does the rest. I play loud on some very big Tannoy Canterbury speakers, so if there was a problem with vibration control I'd know it. Silver cabling; I do think it made a difference.

Holy Christ! Gorgeous and kind of insane! No nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back