1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable

First

Back
292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301
303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312
Next

Last
  1. analogsurviver
    That would be the only reasonable application for the magnet levitated/driven turntable. 

However, laser has proven itself to be inferior to god ol* stylus - because it can not scan wavelengths required without laser wavelength becoming dangerous to people vision. The development of laser turntable has begun by conventional phono cartridge manufacturer ADC ( which bankrupted as a result ... ), carried on by ADC being bailed out by a Bank ( which also went belly up as a result...) , somewhere in time it was being called Finial ( that did sell a handful of - extremely expensive -  machines ) - which brings us to the present day owner/producer of laser turntables, ELP of Japan. All the advantages of mechanical contact free reproduction pale in direct comparison with a conventional turntable roughly the cost of an ELP machine ( low 5 digit / high 4 digit in $ ). Couple that to the necessity to clean ( preferably ultrasonic, at least vacuum ) each side prior to each play ( light beam reads any debris/fluff as signal, can not sweep small amounts of debris as conventional stylus can without objectionable artefacts ... ) - you get the picture ...

Were it pure cost issues with laser turntable, that would have been long ago made non-issue; there are many conventional turntables exceeding the price of even the costliest ELP. I would , given the money, be put up with the annoyance of having to clean each side of the record prior to each play; but not with the lacklustre sound.

And, of course, I am interested in retaining my vision as long as possible.

2. spookygonk
    He's not even sitting in the sweet spot! [​IMG]

3. Happytalk
    The record looks a little warped

4. franzdom
    Reunited with my turntable and vinyl after 27 years. 
    It's just a Beogram 5000 but it's pretty cool. Sounds sweet too!

Records are a lot more fun to hold!

BBC7C2FC-615E-497D-A04E-E9E59FEE7291.jpg

Anavel0 and Krutsch like this.
  5. penmarker
    B&O made great turntables and they're beautiful too like Braun products back in the days. Too bad the they run on proprietary components and if the cart/stylus sold out then you can't do much.

6. bbophead
    I HEAR you! [​IMG]

7. bbophead

I think Soundsmith has replacement cartridges/stylii.  No worries.

8. franzdom
    I bought a Soundsmith, it's working really well!

9. penmarker
    Ah ok! I have to admit I'm not familiar with B&O and their replacement parts.

10. franzdom
    The turntable is decidedly mid-fi but it was pretty nice in 1984 when I bought it.

11. bbophead

All is cool.

This is also mid-fi but, you know what?  I still love it.

IMG_3152.jpg

12. Krutsch

An RP-6 + Ortofon 2M Black is mid-fi?

13. mulveling Contributor
    Shamefully bad-quality cellphone pics. But of really, really great quality analog. Absolutely in bliss with this analog rig. Recently acquired a new Koetsu Coralstone, as my Onyx Platinum is off to Japan for a full rebuild. Both cartridges are money well spent. Perfect synergy on this rig. Stands are not high-end (I'll spend lots of money on some stupid stuff, but not on a stand), but have been filled with lots of lead shot, and I added a simple maple platform (handmade by a local friend) -- this does the trick towards sufficient vibration control; the 50 lbs turntable does the rest. I play loud on some very big Tannoy Canterbury speakers, so if there was a problem with vibration control I'd know it. Silver cabling; I do think it made a difference.

IMG_12201.jpg

IMG_12251.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg

PATB and Rhino73 like this.
  14. bbophead

Some of us Rega owners have an inferiority complex. [​IMG] 

Krutsch likes this.
  15. Packgrog

Holy Christ! Gorgeous and kind of insane! No nice!

First

Back
292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301
303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312
Next

Last