Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Apr 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #3,946 of 5,383
Hahah!  Look at all the pretty lights!  

Oh, a shiny quarter!

That thing is so expensive too.  Must be tough getting a light to change colors.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,947 of 5,383
At least you get the full colourspectrum of the music :rolleyes:

I am seriously into digital. But that doesn't exclude vinyl, does it? More volume, more fun.... :rolleyes: My Ikea expedit full of vinyl + TT has a lot more volume than my 2TB 2.5" HD + 1"x3"x4" DAC + 0.5"x5"x5" computer. Oh, wait, different DAC, way bigger @ 1.5"x4"x7". And I have only purple lights. That's the upside of modifying everything yourself.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,948 of 5,383
Apr 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,949 of 5,383
Hahah!  Look at all the pretty lights!  

Oh, a shiny quarter!

That thing is so expensive too.  Must be tough getting a light to change colors.

Don't worry about the pretty lights, as they are your friend. Just relax, you may be getting sleepy and that's OK.

Remove your billfold and come toward the lights, everything is going to be fine.......................$$$$$$$$$

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,950 of 5,383

I was going to leave vinyl and get serious into digital.

I went to the Chord Shop but realized the Hugo was for folks many times smarter than me.

I could not keep track of the colored lights that represented the bit rate or volume level.

http://www.fed-std-595.com/

Serious digital does get some using to - but it becomes as second nature as cleaning the stylus and record prior to playback. Well - just a "bit" more complicated - setting up your prefered software for playback may require some head scratching after a month or so - if you want to have some changes made. Hugo has been suggested to me several times by now, but it is too expensive. Ifi audio iDSD micro does practically the same thing at about one fifth the price.  I would like to have a side by side demo of both - using same recordings and external equipment. I have seen measurements in German Stereoplay - and Hugo does have a slihgt upper hand on the formats it can support. Micro offers faster rates yet - and has a inbuilt headphone amp, capable of driving the most inefficient headphones in history, the AKG K-1000 (my darling) - for about four hours on battery. So in performance vs cost, it runs rings around Hugo.

But I would still like to hear both side by side. Preferably with some particularly hot vinyl recording ...

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,953 of 5,383
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #3,954 of 5,383
I don't want to sound like a broken record (oh, I'm so punny :D) , digital can sound very well but vinyl can draw you in to the music like no DAC can.
I've heard several very expensive DAC's, but I still think (and know why; time domain) my modified ladder-dac sounds best. My vinyl setup is way more expensive (as if price had any bearing on performance in digital nowadays) than my digital setup. But for me that is not any reason to prefer one or the other. In my setup digital high-res sounds very close to analog in musical terms, but analog always has had the lead.
The funny thing is that until 7 years ago my cd-player and TT were very close in price but worlds apart in performance musically (cd was quite boring). Now my TT is 5x as expensive, my digital setup 5x cheaper and yet both are way more satisfying (closer to perfection?). Mainly due to my modifying skills being very effective om digital (plus the great Chinese prices) and very superfluous on analog. I know how to set up a table but there's not much to improve on a very well executed German/Japanese precision rig with 100y+ experience. In contrast to a Chinese contraption full of promise but utterly lacking in execution, engineering or quality control.

Digital does have its charms, especially if you collect the original artwork together with the music, partly as corverart and the booklets in comicbook art. It does have it's benefits and can be enchanting, but it still happens more often with analog than digital. Sayeth the man with a $500 digital rig and $10k analog setup. :cool:

I still get a kick out of buying great classical music for €1 an LP. Some are 50-60 years old but sound like a frozen moment in time. Like this week a mint Dorati Eroica on Fontana label, a mono Reiner Richard Strauss. Or a Yehudi Menuhin Bach MoNo ASD big dog. Or some old Decca LXT or DGG tulips stereo.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #3,955 of 5,383
I don't want to sound like a broken record (oh, I'm so punny
biggrin.gif
) , digital can sound very well but vinyl can draw you in to the music like no DAC can.
I've heard several very expensive DAC's, but I still think (and know why; time domain) my modified ladder-dac sounds best. My vinyl setup is way more expensive (as if price had any bearing on performance in digital nowadays) than my digital setup. But for me that is not any reason to prefer one or the other. In my setup digital high-res sounds very close to analog in musical terms, but analog always has had the lead.
The funny thing is that until 7 years ago my cd-player and TT were very close in price but worlds apart in performance musically (cd was quite boring). Now my TT is 5x as expensive, my digital setup 5x cheaper and yet both are way more satisfying (closer to perfection?). Mainly due to my modifying skills being very effective om digital (plus the great Chinese prices) and very superfluous on analog. I know how to set up a table but there's not much to improve on a very well executed German/Japanese precision rig with 100y+ experience. In contrast to a Chinese contraption full of promise but utterly lacking in execution, engineering or quality control.

Digital does have its charms, especially if you collect the original artwork together with the music, partly as corverart and the booklets in comicbook art. It does have it's benefits and can be enchanting, but it still happens more often with analog than digital. Sayeth the man with a $500 digital rig and $10k analog setup.
cool.gif

I still get a kick out of buying great classical music for €1 an LP. Some are 50-60 years old but sound like a frozen moment in time. Like this week a mint Dorati Eroica on Fontana label, a mono Reiner Richard Strauss. Or a Yehudi Menuhin Bach MoNo ASD big dog. Or some old Decca LXT or DGG tulips stereo.

Yes, with digital it is in the time domain. That is why I prefer DSD over any PCM. A really good DSD recording of vinyl can sound better than the same vinyl played live with just one step lower analog rig than the DSD recording has been made with. A difference between two styli in the same range, one just above the other, is enough.
But it is not a match to vinyl being played live if using the same analog rig for live playback or recording.

You are lucky to live in a country that did have all major labels available - and what remained, is plentiful enough not to cause the prices to skyrocket. Yesterday, I had to buy 3 LPs in one of our second hand shops. At 1 EUR. All that was available at this price was outside the shop, on the pavement, in a " get rid of these ASAP" bin - records without their inner and/or outer sleeve, if lucky in (worn) outer PVC sleeves, if not - just record, without everything. As I need 3 LPs to be literally  sewn apart ( some experiment...), I placed almost no attention which music is on the records, how dirty/scratched they are, etc. I ended up with 2 inner sleeves for the Barbra Streisand's Memories ( one filled with the license printed Memories LP by Suzy, Yugoslavia - the other - surprise, surprise; just discovered as I write this - with TWO discs, one by Tolzer Sangerknaben " Weihnachten zu Haus mit Tolzer Sangerknaben" on original Philips, the other "evergreen" ( she looks almost the same as  30 years ago on her posters advertising her concerts - PRESENT day ) female singer Neda Ukraden's Hoču tebe ( I want you) from 1985 - while the third was something I did pay attention to as what is on the disc - Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade, Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra conducted by Melik-Paschayev, violin S. Kalinovsky on Medzunarodnaya Knyiha (forerunner of the Melodiya label from the USSR ) - in its plastic inner sleeve and totally in two parts disintegrated outer sleeve. )

There are (admittedly extremely) rare LPs in that shop - reaching over 500 EUR per piece .

I did place all of these LPs in the inner sleeves that got replaced by fresh ones after ultrasonic cleaning my first batch of (mainly test) records. And will perform "scout listening" with a "scout" cartridge, just to see which, if any , of these discs will be spared from being sewn apart for the experiment. Now I pray it will be the Sheherazade -  on Medzunarodnaya Knyiha, there can be absolutely first class audiophile recordings, surpassing (almost) anything from the other side of the then Iron Curtain - as well as total BS regarding sound quality. There is absolutely no BS regarding the musical performance - back then in the USSR, you were either good enough to record - or not. And Bolshoi in those days reigned unchallenged and supreme among the USSR orchestras. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #3,956 of 5,383

+1  big kick
beerchug.gif
  just got these

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #3,957 of 5,383

Great finds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back