Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 1, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,977 of 5,383
Thanks for posting!

May 2, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #3,978 of 5,383
this ok? full HD

Look close!

I've been trying to get my turntable to play upside down for years with no luck. Perfect for changing songs while laying on your back.

Please tell us how you did it, and still kept the tracking force?

May 2, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3,979 of 5,383
I've been trying to get my turntable to play upside down for years with no luck. Perfect for changing songs while laying on your back.

Yeah, but you never ever considered going down under, did ya mate? Even your drain will flow the other way round...

Normally that isn't that hard of your turntable does not rely on gravity to hold the cartridge to the vinyl, like my old Dual 505. Just balance it and turn the spring to the desired force. But in this case the cartridge is quite heavy. There are worse, but Kiseki is quite heavy.
It's just a photo I had lying in wait to give it a special twist. Part of a great photo is all in the framing (or cropping in this case). This is the same photo, different cropping. More info, less intriguing. At least I think so.

I like this one too, but it has less of a "WoW" lightburst with iridescent colour.

May 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3,980 of 5,383
  This looks serious - congrats. VPIs are rare over here - how much does it weigh - the platter in particular ?

But it is a pity they did not allow for less than optimally shielded cartridges to be used - that hum is a no-go. Sonata is such a nice sounding cartridge ... IIRC, it has been jumping from table to table at your place, wasnt' it ?

Platter =  20+ lbs,  total weight is 65lbs.

Yes, the Sonata has been on a MMF7, TT15-S1, Scout and the Classic.   Even on the previous three tables it probably only has 200-250 hours of use.  This week I received the Goldring 2400 (Slightly Used) and a new Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood.  Unfortunately there is an issue with the 2400, it has a bad hum on the right channel, hopefully the seller will be cooperative.  It's too bad because it seemed to be a good match for the table, perfect weight, high output, replaceable stylus.  I spent hours troubleshooting, on both tables and arms, and it always comes back to the right channel.  I think possibly when the seller removed it, one of the leads might have come loose inside the cartridge itself.

So I broke down and cracked the seal on the Virtuoso.  I haven't had any real time to listen but the two sides I did sound promising, and it's dead silent.  Can't wait to really put it through it's paces. 

May 2, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #3,981 of 5,383

Platter =  20+ lbs,  total weight is 65lbs.

Yes, the Sonata has been on a MMF7, TT15-S1, Scout and the Classic.   Even on the previous three tables it probably only has 200-250 hours of use.  This week I received the Goldring 2400 (Slightly Used) and a new Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood.  Unfortunately there is an issue with the 2400, it has a bad hum on the right channel, hopefully the seller will be cooperative.  It's too bad because it seemed to be a good match for the table, perfect weight, high output, replaceable stylus.  I spent hours troubleshooting, on both tables and arms, and it always comes back to the right channel.  I think possibly when the seller removed it, one of the leads might have come loose inside the cartridge itself.

So I broke down and cracked the seal on the Virtuoso.  I haven't had any real time to listen but the two sides I did sound promising, and it's dead silent.  Can't wait to really put it through it's paces. 

I am not that familiar with Goldring carts, but reliable they ain't. My experience - or bad luck.

Try to see if you are not experiencing some sort of ground loop. Fairly low possibility, as cart is plastic - but just  in case...

Virtuoso Woody is a great cart - it is an OEM for CA by Audio Technica, wooden body, etc.

May 3, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #3,984 of 5,383

I thought you managed to take a photo of the cartridge suspension/arm mass resonance : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ZN7J8l6Q64

Is this a similar or the same record?

Just saw someone selling this on craigslist nearby and thought of that video.

May 3, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,985 of 5,383
I am not familiar with this test record, issued by McGill University Records.

I have posted the best test record for testing cartridge suspension/tonearm/ cartridge effective mass resonance ( around 10 Hz. ) It is called either NAD 5120 Test Record
(available in the West) , supporting the proper adjustment of, you guessed, the NAD 5120 turntable - which offers extremely effective and ingenious adjustments for cancelling/reducing the said resonance - or Supraphon 

http://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-Testovac%C3%AD-Deska-P%C5%99enoskov%C3%A9ho-Ramene-Deska-Pro-Kontrolu-Parametr%C5%AF-Gramofon%C5%AF/release/2762156

Same thing - except musical selections on both differ a bit - for those who know what these two records allow for, is this music totally and completely irrelevant.

May 5, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,986 of 5,383
What it basically does is measuring the compliance of the rubber suspension of the cantilever. Since the other variables are known or measurable. But that is not all there is to setting up a TT with cartridge.

May 5, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,987 of 5,383
What it basically does is measuring the compliance of the rubber suspension of the cantilever. Since the other variables are known or measurable. But that is not all there is to setting up a TT with cartridge.

Amen to that!  I've been through the available resources on cartridge setup.  Mint protractor, Hi Fi news LP, Analogue LP, several others of less worthiness, USB microscope, setup procedures from Michael Fremer, etc.  As an engineer, I find all of these to be less than conclusive.   The LP's, depending on who reviews them, are not considered to be the final verdict of zenith and azimuth. 

I'm trying to setup a Miyajima Kansui on a Moerch DP-8 arm.  I find the zenith setting to be really difficult as the protractors depend on visual alignment.  As the cartridge has no straight lines and the stylus is wider than the allowances of the Mint, setting the zenith perfectly is a best guess.  As for azimuth, finding the starting point is a bit of frustration.  Once the start point is determined, the HiFi New lp works well, though it would be really nice to have a solid, reliable method to dial it in without trial and error.  The Moerch requires removing the arm to make adjustments, so the fewer the better.

Any suggestions are welcome.

May 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3,988 of 5,383
You must be the most patient man in the world. I'm not saying you are, but that was my suggestion. :D

It might be usefull to attach a small protracting rod on top of the screws heads. That way if you set the tip at the right point you can line that out with a large visible parallel line. That will help in 2 axises.

May 6, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,990 of 5,383
You must be the most patient man in the world. I'm not saying you are, but that was my suggestion.
biggrin.gif

It might be usefull to attach a small protracting rod on top of the screws heads. That way if you set the tip at the right point you can line that out with a large visible parallel line. That will help in 2 axises.

Wait with giving prizes about patience - till I post the series regarding cartridge setup ...

Your advice is in principle a good one; trouble is, the cartridge can be skewed a bit either way from the oimaginary "screw heads plane ". 

Second/third thing - it would only work with a geometrically perfect cartridge. That is to say less than 1% of any given production .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back