Possibilities
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Benleetv

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, obviously I'm new here, but i was looking to get my first "audio setup" as far as a pair of over $150 headphones, and also my first amp and dac. I've already done my research and decided on a Fiio k3 (sorry if some of the names i list are off, I'm going off memory) for the amp/dac since i was interested in getting a pair of Meze 99's (not 100% if i want the classics or what not, but I've seen around that they are good for gaming and have decent soundstage and imaging for closed back and are easy to drive) but I've heard those are a bit bass heavy, but also that a balance cable can help and some velour pads. (im interested in them for the closed back since I'm going to be using them out and about as well as streaming/gaming and don't want the sound bleed to be picked up by my mic) i was actually interested in modding the wood cups with some epoxy resin and was interested in knowing what kind of screws or bolts the meze's use? Also any other suggestions for amps, dacs, and/or headphones would be great! Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Just a suggestion - you have a lot of ideas on a wide range of subjects. Maybe cut it down to a single question per post and you might get some responses. I think some people (like myself) looked at your post, didn't have a clue where to start, and moved on.

Also, just my personal opinion - but the last place I'd start is in modifying headphones, especially when you mention resin and modding the wood cups on a Meze. I can't think of a faster way to ruin a good pair of headphones. You can spend years just trying to find the right equipment and sources to power a pair of good headphones, as opposed to jumping in with DIY-ing a pair of retail headphons. I'm a DIY-er myself, but my DIY is in the electronics, not the acoustic enclosures of a pair of headphones. If you attempt DIY on a pair of headphones this early in your experience - just make certain the mods are reversible (resin on wood sounds extremely permanent).

I'm not purposely trying to discourage you, just that maybe your first post was a bit over-whelming in its range of subject matter.

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 4
Just a suggestion - you have a lot of ideas on a wide range of subjects. Maybe cut it down to a single question per post and you might get some responses. I think some people (like myself) looked at your post, didn't have a clue where to start, and moved on.

Also, just my personal opinion - but the last place I'd start is in modifying headphones, especially when you mention resin and modding the wood cups on a Meze. I can't think of a faster way to ruin a good pair of headphones. You can spend years just trying to find the right equipment and sources to power a pair of good headphones, as opposed to jumping in with DIY-ing a pair of retail headphons. I'm a DIY-er myself, but my DIY is in the electronics, not the acoustic enclosures of a pair of headphones. If you attempt DIY on a pair of headphones this early in your experience - just make certain the mods are reversible (resin on wood sounds extremely permanent).

I'm not purposely trying to discourage you, just that maybe your first post was a bit over-whelming in its range of subject matter.

Fair enough, thanks for the advice. =] well as far as reversible DIY's i was gonna swap the pads and the cable. Would you happen to have any suggestions for a decent dac/amp? I was looking at a xduoo ta-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back