Portapros.
Jan 13, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I agree with you... Im completely enjoying my KSC75. IMHO its a VERY fun headphone to listen to. I usually boost mids around 1000hz just a little. Petruccis Mesa markIII guitar tone sounds incredible. Amped it sounds HUGE even with a modest amplifier. I often prefer it over my DT770. I bent the wire to fit tight to my ears and the bass output is very close to the porta.

Im prolly going to get portapro2s very soon. Theyre ~$17 new on ebay, shipped... cant resist that...

Garrett

dude! DT rocks. but i dont think JP ever use a mesa mark III. he used IIC+'s in the early IAW days and stuff and then IIC+ with triaxis in others. then he moved on to rectifiers with marks..and now he's with rectifiers.

that really cool.. im considering KSC75's for my new mp3 player (and u[loading all my DT CDs as WAV files!
600smile.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
lol, I had just started to edit my post, I knew you'd think I was responding to your comment. My thought was just a side point, an adjusment to my original post.

Anyways...bot...anyone else believe/willing to admit they might have enjoyed their original lo-fi rig more than their upgraded system? Blasphemy, I know!

I really like the line-out of my iRiver imp-150 PCDP. The NAD CDP is better but the PCDP has such great dynamics! Pair it up with a Headsave Classic and a pair a MS-1s you'll get very close to musical heaven. IMO.

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #19 of 28
Hi--this is my first post...Glad to see I am not the only one who likes his/her low cost rig a lot...I use portapros with a boostaroo (eeeck!)/Panasonic portable cdp and it sounds nice. My home rig is 580/Creek OBH-11, rotel rcd-991 cdp/yamaha rx-v990 or to play vinyl thorens td320/grado 8/sae 5000/dbx
3bx

I used to fly a lot and the portable rig sounds nice, and doesn't cost so much that if something gets broken, you'd cry. Maybe someone can help me with the jargon here on head-fi...

bump ?
ygpm ?
etc...
maybe I'm just dense

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob1031
dude! DT rocks. but i dont think JP ever use a mesa mark III. he used IIC+'s in the early IAW days and stuff and then IIC+ with triaxis in others. then he moved on to rectifiers with marks..and now he's with rectifiers.

that really cool.. im considering KSC75's for my new mp3 player (and u[loading all my DT CDs as WAV files!
600smile.gif

Im pretty sure (not 100%) His rack in 2001 he used mark IIIs for his solos and triple rec's for his rhythm tones. I have some video footage of his gear in the studio, and he shows his Mark III amp settings during the "6degrees of inner turbulence" sessions. Dont quote me though... I cant recall and my memory is fading. pls correct me...

Hes a Mesa whore, his rack at that time was a catalog showroom for mesa products.

DT rocks in every way... KSC75s are made for the DT fanatic IMHO... Enjoy them, they are a perfect match with my creative MuVo. I feel no need to amp them with this player.

Garrett

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentdog
I used to fly a lot and the portable rig sounds nice, and doesn't cost so much that if something gets broken, you'd cry. Maybe someone can help me with the jargon here on head-fi...

I'm also new here, but anyway:

- ygpm is that you've got message
- bump is to refresh old thread so that it got to be on top of new posts (and got read by potential buyer =)
- etc... not really sure
- maybe I'm just dense : maybe you are ...

Welcome aboard sir !
600smile.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 28
One headphone that caused me this sort of 'portapro' effect was the AKG K66.
That one was objectively out of its class in some respects, like detail, soundstage and extension.
I sometimes found it more enjoyable than the higher-priced K240M (even on my home amp).
And I just found them more natural and involving than some mid-priced Senns of the time (till a couple years ago).

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #23 of 28
There is a definite advantage to flat reproduction.

A friend of mine designs PA systems for everything from small clubs up to outdoor amphitheaters. He is constantly telling me about how easy it is to get good sound, even in outdoor settings. The trick is to use a signal generator tto carefully sweep across all of the audible spectrum, balancing the relative volume of each frequency using the equalizer. It takes a couple of hours to balance the speakers like this. Once he's done, the transparency is greatly improved, and he can turn up the volume to almost any level he wants without hurting people's ears.

If you go to a concert and your ears ring the next day, the engineer isn't balancing the frequencies properly. The music isn't making your ears ring, the unbalanced spiked frequencies are.

The same is true of headphones. If the frequency response is flat, your ears won't be as fatigued by prolonged listening.

See ya
Steve

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot

The same is true of headphones. If the frequency response is flat, your ears won't be as fatigued by prolonged listening.

See ya
Steve

...but someone may have to wake you up.
evil_smiley.gif

I think in live music, the non-fatiguing sound has no drawbacks. With headphones, if the sound is too neutral and non-fatiguing, it's dull to some of us.

On the volume issue, your ears can ring regardless of the engineer's settings if you are too close to the speakers, particularly in a large show. But point taken otherwise.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #25 of 28
I absolutely love my Portapros. I'm listening to Got To Be There by Michael Jackson on them with my new $5 Denon DCD-600 and my stanton smx.202 mixer.

Peace

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #26 of 28
I can only put myself in line with the portapro fans here - i have had them for some time now and they are surprisingly good for the money - and i kinda like the old school design too

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #28 of 28
One day, when listening to my portaPro out of iPod, really enjoyed one song. I rushed to my main rig to hear if it really was that damn awesome with portaPro... xD On one side it was, the bass and bit dark overall tone really suits some songs. On my main rig, the bass was satisfying too and the overall sounded much more clear and balanced. Would require some thinking to choose if it was for certain single songs only. PortaPro is definitely a fun phone for not so serious listening. I can´t hear everything, but what I hear is great. On my main rig (M1 DAC + X-CAN V8P + ATH-W1000X), the more carefully I listen the more I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back