Portapros.
Dec 10, 2004 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok...another surprised person....I am really enjoying my music out of the Portapros. I'm really starting to think that higher quality headphones aren't for me...my two favorites have been the SR80 and the Portapros, despite having owned clearly technically superior headphones like the SR225, SR325, RS-1 and HD-650 w/Zu Mobius.

It's interesting, I think I enjoy the distortion and booming bass more on both the SR80 and Portapros than I do the smoother, cleaner, and more technically proficient sound of better equipment.

For me, being an audiphile isn't the goal, being a musicphile is. Now if someone enjoys a more neutral or higher end sound, more power to them. I don't think that's my cup of tea though.

It's only been a few hours, and the biggest enjoyment is from the harder rock/metal with the bass of the Portapros. It'll be interesting to listen to more rock of a less heavy variety and some pop over the next couple of days. Although headphone opinions can change dramatically over time, I think the Portapros are just an amazing bargain, and the perfect phone I've been looking for when jogging or otherwise portable.

Dec 10, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 28
Consider yourself very fortunate. I count a person fortunate as one who is satisfied with less expensive cans and doesn't feel the need to keep upgrading headphones and amps in the quest for audio nirvana. I pity the poor (literally) people who feel the need to pump more and more money into new and expensive headphones, amps, cables, and sources. There are definite gains to be had with better and more expensive equipment, but does the $300 Sennheiser 580/Airhead combination I'm listening to right now sound 15x better than my $20 PortaPros or KSC-35's? Not to me. Sure they sound better, but not 15x better. Consider yourself lucky the upgrade bug hasn't bitten you, and go out and buy some more music!

-Keith

Dec 10, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 28
those portapros are pretty badd@$$

For me, there is a definite difference, however it is one that I usually only notice when lying down with my eyes closed, concentrating on nothing else. Then, the difference is huge. $1380 huge? For me, yes, but I specifically pursued a job as a computer programmer so I could blow wads of money on frivolous toys.

If you ask me, sell the crap you don't want/need and keep what you like. We might not respect you as much, but then again, when has being cool at head-fi netted you anything worthwhile?
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by meithkiller
Consider yourself very fortunate. I count a person fortunate as one who is satisfied with less expensive cans and doesn't feel the need to keep upgrading headphones and amps in the quest for audio nirvana. I pity the poor (literally) people who feel the need to pump more and more money into new and expensive headphones, amps, cables, and sources. There are definite gains to be had with better and more expensive equipment, but does the $300 Sennheiser 580/Airhead combination I'm listening to right now sound 15x better than my $20 PortaPros or KSC-35's? Not to me. Sure they sound better, but not 15x better. Consider yourself lucky the upgrade bug hasn't bitten you, and go out and buy some more music!

-Keith

Although many here do spend a lot of money on headphone equipment, I don't think anyone with an R10 or Qualia is poor. I don't think anyone is skipping their car or house payment to be able to spring for that Zu Mobius cable, so obviously they have the money to spend on toys while remaining caught up on the bills...
wink.gif

As far as your point, though, I think you can look at it two ways. On one hand, we would all be "lucky" if we could reach audio nirvana with some PortaPros or PX100's. This hobby would certainly be much less expensive. OTOH, the real fun of the journey for some is spending large sums of money on upgrades and noting the subtle/minute differences in sound quality. I'm sure that some members of the first camp think the others are crazy for spending hundreds of dollars on cable upgrades and IC's, and that similarly, members of the second group sit back dreaming about owning an Orpheus and wonder how anyone could ever be satisfied listening to music through PortaPros connected to an iPod.
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 28
Just to repeat....I'm not putting anyone down who buys more expensive equipment, nor did I mean to imply that someone who is an audiophile isn't a musicphile, you can certainly be both.

I also don't know that the Portapros/SR80 are the be-all, end-all for me, but I have a visceral enjoyment of them that makes the music fun. I have to have that visceral enjoyment of the music I listen to in whatever headphone I end up with.

Next up is the MS-2....that should be interesting.

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 28
yes the portapro's are a great bargain and yes the higher end don't sound 15 times better i agree.there exist two types of audiophiles.those who feel satisfied with cans less than 100 dollars and those who want much more expensive equipment which is ok.in other words each to their own.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 28
Thought I'd bump this. I still find that I enjoy my SR80/Ipod combo more than anything else. While the technical proficiency is higher on other sources/phones, I still viscerally enjoy this combo the most. I don't feel like I'm compromising my musical enjoyment at all with the lower source.

I'm curious...have others found that they like lo-fi sources better at this point in their search? Maybe it's just a thing for us rock fans.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I'm curious...have others found that they like lo-fi sources better at this point in their search? Maybe it's just a thing for us rock fans.

Certainly not me, I am always relieved to be back to my DAC1 after a period of listening to my Archos/E5c rig, which isn't exactly cheap in and of itself.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 28
lol, I had just started to edit my post, I knew you'd think I was responding to your comment. My thought was just a side point, an adjusment to my original post.

Anyways...bot...anyone else believe/willing to admit they might have enjoyed their original lo-fi rig more than their upgraded system? Blasphemy, I know!

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 28
I agree with you... Im completely enjoying my KSC75. IMHO its a VERY fun headphone to listen to. I usually boost mids around 1000hz just a little. Petruccis Mesa markIII guitar tone sounds incredible. Amped it sounds HUGE even with a modest amplifier. I often prefer it over my DT770. I bent the wire to fit tight to my ears and the bass output is very close to the porta.

Im prolly going to get portapro2s very soon. Theyre ~$17 new on ebay, shipped... cant resist that...

Garrett

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 28
HI: I have said what you said a good while ago. I agree with you all the way. I have had a lot of more exspensive cans only to sell them and besides my Senn. 590 that I use with my stereo receiver I find the Koss portapro to be a great buy and have a very fun sound for my portable use.

After a while I sort of missed the bigger sound that I get from full size ear cups and found that the Koss UR40 took care of that full size sound with a few easy modes.

Now the UR40 are my favorite can for portable use with no portable amp needed. I am getting a full ear cup sound with the Koss UR40 sound that as you know is very fun sounding and feel no need to upgrade.

I use a portable radio alot and the UR40 and am very happy with this rig. Also comfort is A1.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 28
These koss are extra rare phones which defies 'sorry for your wallet' myth ... they really throw price performance of phones way off balance. I think Lou had chosen a wise path - a pair of koss for general enjoyment plus another ultra comfort senn for hi fidelity listening. I wish I have the courage to throw the rest of stuff !

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 28
I like my Portapros. It's clear that the fidelity is not the same as my HD580s but I am somehow happier listening to the Portapros. I wouldn't listen with either all the time. I prefer both of them to the ER6, which is only used when I need noise-blocking. I am in search of better things though. This is with Classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back