Portable USB DAC to drive headphones and maybe speakers
Oct 3, 2012 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eonsend

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been an avid reader of head-fi for a while but this is my first post. So the headphone port on my desktop broke and the headphone out port on my speakers introduces all sorts of hissing.

I am looking for a portable USB DAC/headphone amp that I could use with my desktop or laptop to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD555's or Shure SE215-k's with better quality than the integrated sound and without the horrible hiss coming from my speakers. I like the look of the iBasso D-Zero since its gotten slightly better reviews than the Fiio E7 and the iBasso fits pretty well into my price range as I'm a college student who can't afford to throw down tons of cash on sweet sound equipment.

This is my first foray into USB DAC territory so I'm not sure if this is the best choice. Would the iBasso be the best bang for my buck for an entry level audio enthusiast or is there something better? I'd really like to not spend more than $120 on this but I could suffer up to $150 if the deal was super sweet.

I appreciate your input!!

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Well at the moment all I really need is a DAC since anything can drive the Senn. HD555's, but I might get headphones that need extra power in the future so I think a DAC/Amp combo would be cool.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 7
You could just get the Fiio E10, USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, $65.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 7
hmm that actually looks pretty nice, the first few reviews I saw of it weren't that good but after reading a couple more it's looking like a good buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back