Portable tube amp from china?
May 28, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #451 of 916
How much tube sound I can get from the little bear b5?
I am more interested in the tube sound than the amp portion. I have the pioneer 30R & UE900s.
If it is on the same level as FX audio tube buffer I would be very happy.

May 31, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #452 of 916
1st chip came out perfectly with ease. Left chip was a pain and I lost a leg lol. Oh well, new Burson Chips in and the sound is greatly improved IMO. Much more clarity.

Hex screw size is the 5/64. Wish they used that for the other side since I stripped a screw and had to bend the face plate to get it off then I was able to get the screw out.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #454 of 916
Since I have to stay out of town for business for a few months, without my beloved WA8 made me home sick. Saw this thread two days ago and decides to buy B4-X for experiment. Just got it from Amazon a few hours ago. This thing is really a surprise: small, clean and powerful. It cannot compete with my "transportable" WA8, but very close and it made me wonder why I paid almost 20x more money for WA8. So far, no EM noise yet. The sound is very clean, and powerful. Paired it with my IER-Z1R, and they are a very good pair. I enjoyed an hour long of listening session. I can bring it for trips without worrying damaging it at all, very happy with the purchase. Thank you all!

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #455 of 916
I am wondering if anyone replaced the original opamp with Burson V6 Vivid Dual X 2? Will it work? How does it sound like? Any improvement over the original?

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #456 of 916
I am wondering if anyone replaced the original opamp with Burson V6 Vivid Dual X 2? Will it work? How does it sound like? Any improvement over the original?

It's probably possible, but those are a lot taller than the case is wide so you'd have to remove or modify the window to make it work. It's barely taped in there so that won't be terribly difficult to do but it will lose some convenient portability having two op amps jutting out the side. I would imagine it would also have a shorter battery life as they look more powerful.

I replaced the stock op amps with v5i Duals and I was quite pleased by the upgrade. Plenty for a portable rig.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #457 of 916
It's probably possible, but those are a lot taller than the case is wide so you'd have to remove or modify the window to make it work. It's barely taped in there so that won't be terribly difficult to do but it will lose some convenient portability having two op amps jutting out the side. I would imagine it would also have a shorter battery life as they look more powerful.

I replaced the stock op amps with v5i Duals and I was quite pleased by the upgrade. Plenty for a portable rig.

Thank you!

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #459 of 916
I found the solution to the RF interference! Here's what happened:

It drives me crazy when I am listening to a good music. When the RF interference comes in, it spoils everything. I decide to find a solution and surprisingly that there is a very easy solution: The Faraday tape! After taping it over the window, the RFI is gone completely. If it is not enough, two layers of the tape is more than enough. The tape makes the amp ugly though. I do not have time to open the case to find out which part needs to tape over, but I believe it can be done. If you just want to enjoy the music and do not care about the look, this is a quick and good solution you can try. Otherwise, open the case and spend an hour and find out the offending parts and share it with us. You can find the tape on Amazon, it is very cheap. Enjoy the noiseless B4X!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #460 of 916
I found the solution to the RF interference! Here's what happened:

It drives me crazy when I am listening to a good music. When the RF interference comes in, it spoils everything. I decide to find a solution and surprisingly that there is a very easy solution: The Faraday tape! After taping it over the window, the RFI is gone completely. If it is not enough, two layers of the tape is more than enough. The tape makes the amp ugly though. I do not have time to open the case to find out which part needs to tape over, but I believe it can be done. If you just want to enjoy the music and do not care about the look, this is a quick and good solution you can try. Otherwise, open the case and spend an hour and find out the offending parts and share it with us. You can find the tape on Amazon, it is very cheap. Enjoy the noiseless B4X!

Hi where exactly did you put the tape? Any pics? Thanks

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #461 of 916
Jul 11, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #462 of 916
I have been listening to it with Faraday tape over the clear window for a few days. I pair it with Sony IER-1ZR, the sound is incredibly awesome, almost the same as WooAudio WA8. I am thinking of selling WA8 now. 1/20's the cost and the difference is not much! Especially the bass with IER-1ZR is like unreal for a portable setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back