Portable tube amp from china?
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #421 of 916
so the V5i-D x 2 for $69 from Burson correct?

What is the process to swap them? Never done it before

Correct. It's relatively simple. The top cover uses 2mm hex screws and the bottom cover uses philips head screws. You only need to remove the screws for the front cover. Once that's off, disconnect the battery. Use a chip puller to remove the chips straight up. I used my tweezers and I bent the pins on the original op amps pretty badly and the second chip came out with quite a lot of force so my little tweezers slipped and sliced my left index finger. Do not do that if you can help it. A chip puller is ideal. I couldn't find one locally but amazon sells them. Order both at the same time to save the headache. Once the old chips are out, orient the op amps so the white dot is facing the upper left corner of the socket (that's pin 1) and simply line up the pins with the socket and press gently and they should just pop in. They are held by friction so they are harder to pull out than push in. By quite a lot. Once they're in, plug the battery back in and replace the front cover and you're done. It's not complex or difficult in the least bit, given the right tools.

It's not a project until you bleed right? Right?

Mar 29, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #423 of 916
Is that step nessesarry for the dual b4x amp? For the single b4 amp I changed the opamp without disconnecting the battery.

It's something I've gotten into the habit of doing whenever working on anything electrical or electronic. It's more of a safety measure than anything. I would consider it as necessary as pulling the battery before working on a laptop or pulling out the power cable when working on a PC. It's just prudent. There is also a switch on the B4-X so it's just an extra layer of protection and it takes all of a few moments.

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #425 of 916
How does the balance out sounds compare to normal 3.5mm out?

My headphones don't strictly support it, but my headphone cable has better than normal grounding so it may benefit. I have a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adapter coming from Amazon and I intend to see if it's louder, but Z_Reviews on YouTube says it's louder but not necessarily any clearer. My headphones, Audio Technica WS-1100is', take a 3.5mm input directly on the left side so there's no option for balanced unless I rewire the headphones and I don't have much desire to do that. I'm using an Audioquest Tower cable I got on amazon as a damaged box item for $15 and that alone gave me a hair more clarity and seems to have given a midrange bump versus the stock cable, which has a microphone and start/stop button on it. I have been using that stock cable as a jumper to my phone so I can have an external button to start/stop music while I'm walking outside, and so I can keep the phone a good distance from the amp to avoid noise from the radio transmitters on the phone.

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #426 of 916
My headphones don't strictly support it, but my headphone cable has better than normal grounding so it may benefit. I have a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adapter coming from Amazon and I intend to see if it's louder, but Z_Reviews on YouTube says it's louder but not necessarily any clearer. My headphones, Audio Technica WS-1100is', take a 3.5mm input directly on the left side so there's no option for balanced unless I rewire the headphones and I don't have much desire to do that. I'm using an Audioquest Tower cable I got on amazon as a damaged box item for $15 and that alone gave me a hair more clarity and seems to have given a midrange bump versus the stock cable, which has a microphone and start/stop button on it. I have been using that stock cable as a jumper to my phone so I can have an external button to start/stop music while I'm walking outside, and so I can keep the phone a good distance from the amp to avoid noise from the radio transmitters on the phone.
You can not add an adapter to the 3.5 and be balanced. You run the risk of damaging your headphones and the Little Bear. With an adapter, you can go from Balanced to Single Ended but never Single to Balanced

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #427 of 916
You can not add an adapter to the 3.5 and be balanced. You run the risk of damaging your headphones and the Little Bear. With an adapter, you can go from Balanced to Single Ended but never Single to Balanced

Well yes, once you unify the ground it's unified forever. It was more to see if the balanced output had more oomph to it. I got the adapter and gave it a brief test and it was definitely high pass filtering the right channel for some odd reason (actually it sounded like running ProLogic II on a stereo signal and listening only to a rear channel) so I just decided to stick to 3.5. It's a more robust connector for walking around anyhow. TBH, it's kind of a shame. I would rather have an XLR type connection for walking around, it's far more robust than a dinky little 2.5mm pin.

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #428 of 916
Well yes, once you unify the ground it's unified forever. It was more to see if the balanced output had more oomph to it. I got the adapter and gave it a brief test and it was definitely high pass filtering the right channel for some odd reason (actually it sounded like running ProLogic II on a stereo signal and listening only to a rear channel) so I just decided to stick to 3.5. It's a more robust connector for walking around anyhow. TBH, it's kind of a shame. I would rather have an XLR type connection for walking around, it's far more robust than a dinky little 2.5mm pin.
What I'm saying is, it will make no difference. The cable itself needs to be balanced in order for balanced to even work.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #429 of 916
I don't understand why they even sell those adapters - there are too many people out there that have no clue how balanced vs unbalanced works who are quite likely to damage their equipment. There is more power with the balanced output. If I remember correctly, you're getting the opamps running in parallel that way.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #430 of 916
I don't understand why they even sell those adapters - there are too many people out there that have no clue how balanced vs unbalanced works who are quite likely to damage their equipment. There is more power with the balanced output. If I remember correctly, you're getting the opamps running in parallel that way.
Are they not running in parallel anyhow?

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #432 of 916
The B4 only has one opamp, the B4x has two. So I think when you use the B4x in unbalanced mode, you might only be getting one of the two opamps.

Yes but the architecture of the circuit suggests that both op amps are running. I suppose I could pull one out and see if one channel goes away. The B4 is a totally different circuit design.

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #433 of 916
How does the balance out sounds compare to normal 3.5mm out?

I have both, using them for the past 3 weeks, source is my trusted X5 iii and to be honest there I can't tell the difference in sound. I use M1060s, the DMG and IE80. I listen to all genres. Can anyone else tell the difference?
I always say if you personally can't hear/tell the difference then don't bother wasting your money.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #434 of 916
Anybody bothered by the spelling mistake?

I thought it was just one but it is the whole batch I think.

yM5vhFL_d.jpg

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #435 of 916
Haha mine too. It made me laugh. I don't mind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back