Portable tube amp from china?
Sep 12, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #481 of 916
My B4-X has a channel imbalance. The left channel is definitely louder than the right channel. (I'm using it single ended out. Tried multiple cables and multiple sources.) Can this be fixed or do I have a defective unit? (I originally planned on swapping out the opamps for the Burson, but I'd rather not sink money into a unit that's not working right.) Should I return it or can I just fix this myself?

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #482 of 916
My B4-X has a channel imbalance. The left channel is definitely louder than the right channel. (I'm using it single ended out. Tried multiple cables and multiple sources.) Can this be fixed or do I have a defective unit? (I originally planned on swapping out the opamps for the Burson, but I'd rather not sink money into a unit that's not working right.) Should I return it or can I just fix this myself?
There is inside the unit screws for each channel that you can adjust with them the volume ect

2019-03-14_5c89dbab16c90_IMG_1795.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #483 of 916
Agree 100%. With the stock unit I couldn't tell there was an imbalance. Once I did the Burson upgrade, I could tell they were off. I adjusted it a slight bit with the screw and it's now dead on.

Sep 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #484 of 916
As mentioned above, you can adjust this with the little pots on the circuit board, but a word of advise.... take a picture of the board first, a nice close up so you can see how they are set now, just in case you adjust any and do not like the outcome, you can then at least re set them how they were.
Good luck sorting it

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #485 of 916
Stock opamps it was definitely off. Everything was shifted to the left. It's now fixed however. (Am I correct in assuming the pots on the outside are for opamp gain, and the inner pots are for for tube bias?) I am going to reserve judgement on this until I hear the Burson opamps.

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #486 of 916
how is the difference with b4-x and alo cdm? almost the same circuit? RF noise level? my unbalanced version has a lot of interference when it was placed close to my mobile phone

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #487 of 916
Not the same circuit, Alo uses different tubes. I'm not sure what op amps they use either. However, modding a B4-x is outrageously cheaper than buying a stock Alo so there's that. RF interference is from the tubes, which are very RF sensitive. I have opted to put the amp in a different pocket, which requires a long jumper but solves the issue. The near field RF of a cell phone is insanely strong.

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #488 of 916
Finally got to moding my B4. The goal was to be able to install any opamp and still keep the lid on. It ceased being portable, but it's still transportable, which is what I need - being able to take it to any part of the house and enjoy my music collection.

P90924-211651.jpg
P90924-211841.jpg
P90924-211818.jpg
P90924-211740.jpg
P90924-211803.jpg

P.S.
The static is largely affected by the type of opamp being used. Some of which I tried make the static almost inaudible, even with the phone right next to it.

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #489 of 916
Finally got to moding my B4. The goal was to be able to install any opamp and still keep the lid on. It ceased being portable, but it's still transportable, which is what I need - being able to take it to any part of the house and enjoy my music collection.

P.S.
The static is largely affected by the type of opamp being used. Some of which I tried make the static almost inaudible, even with the phone right next to it.
is the opamp being used is PCS SA-200?

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #495 of 916
Mine B4X also experiencing channel imbalance. But after 10mins playing, it balanced again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back