Portable Headphone Advice...
Jul 15, 2012 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jsilbert95

Head-Fier
Hey again Head-Fiers,

I am looking for a portable on-ear or over-ear headphone that will be perfect for being on a train, being in a coffee shop, etc.  Basically light commuting.  So here are the factors that matter to me: portability, actually not complete isolation (I need to hear what's going on around me such as train announcements etc.), definitely no bleeding that will cause others to be annoyed, a little bit of style would be nice, and of course the best sound quality possible within the price range of the headphones listed below.

My sources are a 2009 13 inch mac book pro, a newer classic iPod, and an iPhone 4, and I do not want to have to bring a portable amp with me.  

The types of music I listen to on a regular basis are jazz (mainly fusion), rock, classic ock, electronic (many different genres), ska, world, alternative, indie, etc.  Basically everything, but definitely an emphasis on jazz genres and electronic genres.

Here are some of the options I have come up with after doing some research:

V-MODA Crossfade M-80

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Phiaton MS400

If anyone could let me know what they think about these different headphones, especially with the genres of music I listen to that would be great.

In addition, I will not be able to test any of these out, so I have to really be certain before I make a purchase.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 12
The HD25s and amperiors are really good at blocking out outside noise.  Don't know if you want those if you want to hear your surroundings. I've never heard the m-80s but I've read that it lets more noise in than the Sennheisers with good sound quality.  

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Just thought I'd throw my two cents in...

I had the Phiatons, and while there were some good qualities I found them harsh and fatiguing even after extensive burn-in. For the money I have to say I was disappointed and I sold them, which I almost never do.

I've heard the M-80 and it is a bass-heavy, "fun" sound signature and not at all neutral. There are very well made though...

+1 on the DT1350 or Ameperiors...among the best sounding portables anywhere. You might even want to look at the Beyerdynaic T50p.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Okay great, so I've narrowed it down to the M-80s, the Amperiors, and the DT1350s.  I'll start a new thread and hopefully that one will get a little more popularity...

Thanks for all of your help!

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 12
I think the three that you're considering are pretty much tops in the portable, closed, on-ear category and you probably can't really go wrong with any of them.

My personal experience is limited to the M80's.  And while I don't commute via planes, trains and...well, automobile, yes.  But I only use mine in the office environment.

Although I'm not sure how well they'll cut out sounds on a train, I can say that with music playing at low to moderate volume I sometimes find it difficult to hear my phone ring about five feet away from my ears. 

Thus far (I've had them for a few weeks), I'm quite enamored with the M80's.  Not only do they sound good (mostly a Jazz fan, myself), they look good on the ol' noggin', the cable length and design seems very well thought out, the carrying case is very low profile and doesn't take up much space, are pretty comfortable for on-ears and, did I mention they sound pretty good?

Good luck in your search.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back