Portable, full sized , shoot out! (what next A4iophiles?)
Aug 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

circa1988

New Head-Fier
I would like to first, thank all of the many audiophiles, industry majors, and general enthusiests that pore countless hours and information into this website. I have been bitten by the sound bug, I am stepping into this brave new world with about a $300 dollar budget for cans and maybe a $200 budget for an amp/dac. I have a love for a wide diversity of music : Blues, Metal, Rock, Hip Hop, Ska, Jazz, Classical /Orchestrated, Etheral and atmospheric, Opera,  Examples of Music I listen to on a regular basis are Phillip Glass, Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Charlie parker, Godspeed! you black emperor, My Bloody Valentine, Black Sabbath, The White Stripes, BassNectar,  The Glitch Mob, Radiohead, Aesop Rock, Rattata, BLockHEAD, Coheed & Cambria Etc, Dir En Grey... I am Beginning to dable in Creating and referencing Music, And I am looking for a Portable, (folding preferred but not necessary)   closed back, noise isolating, Circumnuaral, set of cans That lends itself to this kind of music. Sound clarity and instrument seperation as well as "soundstage " are very important to me as well as a high range of dheffinition in the low base, a generaly true mid level, and a detailed treble and higher end. I am driving my music from an Ipod Touch 3g (64 G) and a modest HiFi- setup with a technics MkII turntable, and a macbook pro.  I have been doing hours and hours of research and I have been dancing around these cans

-Audio Technica ATM-M50
- Ultrasone HFI 780
-BeyerDynamic DT 770 (or pro 80)  ( 32 ohm without amp 250 ohm with proper amp/dac)

-Dennon D2000

I have listened to The ATM-M50's and The Beyer Dynamic and it has become apparent that the BeyerDynamics are unable to be the clear choice until amped properly.  The M50's sound amazing but they seem to be so honest that it is a little off putting with some lower level recordings such as blues tracks tend to be and the more operatic and highly composed aria's. 

ANy suggestions as to which cans and even Amp/dac Combos in this price range with this music in mind would be absolutely phenomenal and deeply appreciated as i have spent countless hours searching threads for pieces of a seemingly empty puzzle. I have a basic referencing and music background and very little engineering knowledge (sub novice) but I love music, I don`t want to upgrade every time a new ibasso and set of grado's come out) although I don`t blame those who do :wink: I just want to start with a nice set of cans and a decent amp. Suggestions and comments ?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back