Portable Desktop Amp?
May 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

suhaybh

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for an amp that can be used with 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770. The message seems to be the same everwhere: Desktop amps work best, and there are very few (and very expensive) portable amps that work with the headphones but they don't do as good a job as desktop amps. Since I only listen to music while I am sitting down in my room or in the library, where there is almost always a wall outlet handy, I am wondering if there is an amp that is small enough to tote around in a bag but runs of wall socket power instead of battery. I am hoping that such an amp can have much more power than a portable set up to drive my headphones (with great sound of course) while still being relatively portable. So does such an amp exist? Of course the cheaper the better....

May 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Just a few that come to mind:
Nuforce HDP
Ortofon HD-Q7 (low gain)
Hotaudio Thunderbolt Max

May 30, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I use as my transportable the Scherzo Andante.  It is powered by internal SLA batteries that last about 60hrs per charge and is about the size of 3 CD cases stacked together.   See it here

Quote:
I am in the market for an amp that can be used with 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770. The message seems to be the same everwhere: Desktop amps work best, and there are very few (and very expensive) portable amps that work with the headphones but they don't do as good a job as desktop amps. Since I only listen to music while I am sitting down in my room or in the library, where there is almost always a wall outlet handy, I am wondering if there is an amp that is small enough to tote around in a bag but runs of wall socket power instead of battery. I am hoping that such an amp can have much more power than a portable set up to drive my headphones (with great sound of course) while still being relatively portable. So does such an amp exist? Of course the cheaper the better....

May 31, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 10
Headroom also makes their portable desktop amp, though it's quite expensive.

May 31, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 10
I'd just put a Dynalo in a briefcase or bag. They're reasonably compact and will give you 1W of terribly clean power.

The CK2III can also be built in a relatively compact case - it is a terrific amp.

May 31, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Not sure about your budget but the DACmini is quite small and works good with my DT770/600
beyersmile.png

May 31, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 10
Some will laugh, but the E9 is as transportable as the PSU for any laptop computer I have ever owned - the thing weighs less than some of them !

May 31, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 10
iBasso AMPs like PB2, XM6(634 1Watt), Matrix M Stage, Audinst HUD-MX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back