Portable closed-back headphones?
Oct 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

GhosT98

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a set of portable closed-back headphones, as I travel long distances on public transport relatively frequently and I want to be able to listen to my music without disturbing anyone or being disturbed. Any recommendations? Goes without saying that sound quality comes first and foremost, but they must be comfortable and to some extent, stylish.

I'm looking to pay up to $400, currently I have the Bowers & Wilkins P5, Bose Quietcomfort 15 and Beats by Dre Studio headphones on my shortlist. I listen to rock, hip-hop and pop.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 27
The ATH-ES10, ESW10, Sony Z1000, Ultrasone Pro900 and DT1350.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 27
I would add the Vmoda M80 to your list they have had pretty good reviews so far and are definitely stylish looking to say the least. I can not speak from experience quite yet but will be able to give an informed opinion on them soon (for disclosurer purposes I will state I have been chosen to review them by VModa in a recent offer they had here on head-fi so am getting a pair for free). Having said that I make my recommendation based on the reviews and comments of others at this point rather than any belief I need to help Vmoda out because I was chosen to review their product.

Other than the M80 I can also state I liked my Denon DN-HP700 as well. They are sonically similar to my Denon D7000 but with a more forward midrange. The challenge with them would be their size (slightly bigger than what some might like in a portable) with potentially to long a cable. Also despite their slightly larger size are not quite over ear because the cups are slightly to small (unless you have small ears) so may potenially have some comfort issues.

In yout list you also mention the Bose QC15. While Bose gets a hard rap on Head-fi (some jusified, such as being over priced for sure, and some not quite as much) the QC15 will definitely remove alot of surrounding noise through it's active noise cancellation but that cancellation does come at the price of audio quality especially when your in a quiet location.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 27
They take a bit of tweaking to get adjusted to your head, but after that they are quite comfortable.

And the sound is terrific. There has been plenty written on both subjects. Suffice to say I love mine, in both of these respects.

Style? Well only you can answer that one. Personally, I like the retro radio operator look they have going.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 27
I have tried both the Bose QC15s and the B&W P5s, but both only for a short while and in a very quiet shop. I have yet to see how the B&Ws fare in a noisy environment, but both are very comfortable. They do sound better than the noise-cancelling Bose headphones though...and they look very nice.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 27
I have tried both the Bose QC15s and the B&W P5s, but both only for a short while and in a very quiet shop. I have yet to see how the B&Ws fare in a noisy environment, but both are very comfortable. They do sound better than the noise-cancelling Bose headphones though...and they look very nice.

definitely agree :D

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 27
I just tried them on my old 3G iPod to check that - I would listen to most tracks at 2/3 - 3/4 volume. I don't know how the amps in the newer iPods compare though. I usually listen to them amped or with the 602 which has plenty of oomph.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 27
The OP mentioned he is using a Ipod Touch 2G so he would need an amp to properly drive the DT1350 or have to live with less than it's complete sound.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 27
The P5 are a perfectly nice set of headphones. For pure sound quality, they can easily be surpassed at $300 MSRP, but when you factor in their comfort, portability, easy driving, nice sound, and aesthetics, they're quite a nice choice. Certainly better than anything Beats. I had the P5 for about 4 months last year and really enjoyed them.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
The P5 are a perfectly nice set of headphones. For pure sound quality, they can easily be surpassed at $300 MSRP, but when you factor in their comfort, portability, easy driving, nice sound, and aesthetics, they're quite a nice choice. Certainly better than anything Beats. I had the P5 for about 4 months last year and really enjoyed them.

I agree.  I own them now and while I would say based on sound alone they're not quite worth the cost, the other factors more than make up for it.  I would say they are a $300 phone with $200 sound, but a $300 package.  This is a solid headphone that you can feel confident won't be failing.  Only gripe is the thin cable that comes with it, good for portability but it SEEMS flimsy because it's thin.  I have yet to have a problem with it myself so it's only speculation.

My gripe about the sound is that it seems veiled, and dark.  The quality is still there but they don't sparkle.  But they're portables and not meant for critical listening.  Outside in a busy environment they are great.

One note, if you wear glasses, the P5 is extremely uncomfortable after about 5 minutes of use.

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 27
I agree.  I own them now and while I would say based on sound alone they're not quite worth the cost, the other factors more than make up for it.  I would say they are a $300 phone with $200 sound, but a $300 package.  This is a solid headphone that you can feel confident won't be failing.  Only gripe is the thin cable that comes with it, good for portability but it SEEMS flimsy because it's thin.  I have yet to have a problem with it myself so it's only speculation.

My gripe about the sound is that it seems veiled, and dark.  The quality is still there but they don't sparkle.  But they're portables and not meant for critical listening.  Outside in a busy environment they are great.

One note, if you wear glasses, the P5 is extremely uncomfortable after about 5 minutes of use.

Cool!:D But when you say they're veiled and dark, how veiled and dark are they? Will they beat my current Ultimate Ears 700 canalphones? And I don't wear glasses :)

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 27
I'm quite surprised nobody has suggested the Sennheiser HD25 Adidas Originals (seeing how the OP wants some style to it)! I personally LOVE my HD25's. The HD25's are perfect for the genres you listed (rock, hip-hop, pop)! They've got some nice punchy bass and are a joy to listen to going to and from school. I also listen to them while at some football venues (just because I want to, haha; not sure why I do it) and at about 70% volume on my iPod Touch 3G, everything else is drowned out. Not going to compete with the QC15's active noise cancellation, but the noise isolation is superb.
There is a bit of sibilance in them, but you won't notice during normal listening; you'd have to try reeeeaaaally hard to do so. And don't worry about the "steel cable" they have. James McProgger stated in the HD 25-1 appreciation thread that the steel is just there for reinforcement and that copper is the real conductor. I've also heard that people have lots of issues with the comfort, but I've none. People have posted that lowering the cups one notch below normal listening height and putting them over a box of tissues will help.

These bad boys'll run you about $250, which is perfect for the prices you gave! I'm sure you could get them cheaper if you looked around the for sale thread, though. You can find more info on them in ljokerl's review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-93-portable-headphones-reviewed-pioneer-se-mj71-coloud-colors-added-9-4-11
Ranking only .1 behind the Beyer DT1350's which are more analytical as opposed to these fun HD25's, I'm sure you'll love these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back