Portable Amp for Ultrasone Pro 650s
Jul 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Spunky424

New Head-Fier
Just got my pro 650s in from the deal going on the passed couple of weeks. Now i know the impedance is 75ohms and any portable player will have a hard time driving it. So i'm looking for a portable amp.  I will be using the headphones at home with my computer (currently have the xonar D1 sound card) listening to music/watching movies/ playing video games but also on the road with my samsung P3 player or Ipod. (probably ipod since it has a dedicated LOD). I'm relatively new to audiogear so sorry for being such a noob but i did google search and found nothing in particular to the pro 650s. i initially was looking at the Fiio E5 but i dont know if that will be enough to drive these cans. Any recommendations/help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Chris,

I have a Pro 650 as well and the E5 drives it fine with great volume.  I would recommend a LOD cable and feed that into the E5. 

What was really impressive with the Pro 650's is the amount of accessories it came with. Thumbs up to Ultrasone to include all of those "necessities". 

Jack

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks so much for the reply. i was looking into the cheaper solution of the E5 or possible go better with the Mini3. does the E5 make a huge difference? what device are you running them on?

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 4
I listen with a variety of sources including a Teclast T51, Sansa Fuze, iPhone 3S, Zune 8GB, and my notebook computer. I run a FiiO E7 or the EMU 0404 USB with the notebook, but the others I use regularly with both a E5 and a E7.

How much of a difference the E5 makes depends on the source, music type being played, and the headphones being driven. Some combinations yield no noticeable benefit but others can be a pretty drastic improvement in terms of volume, bass quality, clarity and noise/hiss reduction.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back