Portable amp for Etymotic ER4S?
Sep 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #31 of 46
I am going to go through the stepdance thread I think, I was looking at the website and I like his philosophy!

So, stepdance,P51 and TTVJ are my short list, being British by birth the voyager appeals as I used to devour reviews of Graham Slee products and know them to punch well above their weight! But the voyager here in Canada is over $500!

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #32 of 46
OK, I am going through the pages on the stepdance thread and have read skylabs excellent review and this amp is intriguing me greatly! It looks to be very well thought out! I would love some more detailed thoughts from the folks who are using this amp with the ety's please!

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #33 of 46
I just received my Stepdance two days ago and have been using it with my ER-4S.  I honestly didn't think an amp could do for soundstage and separation what this amp has done for my Etys.  And I didn't know my Etys had this in them!  I loved my Etys for their accuracy and detail, but the musicality has improved tenfold with this new amp.  As some have said, it really does do details in the highs such as cymbals, high hats, and tambourines very, very well.  It's making me want to buy headphones I've sold all over again to see if I'll like them more with the Stepdance!

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #34 of 46
Etys scale with amp you use with it.

Quote:
I just received my Stepdance two days ago and have been using it with my ER-4S.  I honestly didn't think an amp could do for soundstage and separation what this amp has done for my Etys.  And I didn't know my Etys had this in them!  I loved my Etys for their accuracy and detail, but the musicality has improved tenfold with this new amp.  As some have said, it really does do details in the highs such as cymbals, high hats, and tambourines very, very well.  It's making me want to buy headphones I've sold all over again to see if I'll like them more with the Stepdance!

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #35 of 46
Well, thanks to Lazure's enthusiasm and all the positive thoughts and reviews I am going to go for the stepdance!

It was a close run thing but looking at the design I really think this will not only be the amp for the ety's but also if I ever decide to upgrade headphones this amp will see me through that as well (not likely at the moment though, the er4's really do it for me with their sound!)

I am waiting on the sale of a couple of items and once those are complete I will place my order.. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Thanks everyone for your input and help. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts with me.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 46

Quote:

I've received a few PMs from folks here who say the Stepdance may be too loud with IEMs; that is, even at the lowest-positioned volume, the Stepdance is still unusually loud.  Are you finding this to be true??  I was seriously considering this amp, but since I primarily use IEMs those PMs scared me off.  But one of my IEMS I use are the ER4S; the other is UM3X.

Opinions please

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #37 of 46

Quote:
I've received a few PMs from folks here who say the Stepdance may be too loud with IEMs; that is, even at the lowest-positioned volume, the Stepdance is still unusually loud.  Are you finding this to be true??  I was seriously considering this amp, but since I primarily use IEMs those PMs scared me off.  But one of my IEMS I use are the ER4S; the other is UM3X.

Opinions please

Jan posted in the Stepdance thread about this today.  Give it a look.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #39 of 46
I currently have a pair of ER4Ps, with the PtoS adapter, with a 3 move amp. However, I find the bass to be missing. I mainly listen to rock music (in flames, disturbed, in fear and faith etc.), what would be the best upgrade for this current setup to get more bass?

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #40 of 46

Quote:
I currently have a pair of ER4Ps, with the PtoS adapter, with a 3 move amp. However, I find the bass to be missing. I mainly listen to rock music (in flames, disturbed, in fear and faith etc.), what would be the best upgrade for this current setup to get more bass?

Using the same Ety's or getting new ones?  The bass boost on the new Arrow is the best I've heard so far, that should help the ER4.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #41 of 46

Quote:
Using the same Ety's or getting new ones?  The bass boost on the new Arrow is the best I've heard so far, that should help the ER4.

Well, i guess upgrading one or the other. I need me some bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #42 of 46

Quote:
Well, i guess upgrading one or the other. I need me some bass
" br="" class="bbcode_smiley" files.head-fi.org="" height="" http:="" images="" smilies="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

DBA02 or CK10 can get you more bass but stay along similar lines.  Haven't heard the HF5 but that's an option others can chime in on.

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #43 of 46

Add an Apuresound cable to your current setup (as I did):

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/308515/i-prefer-apuresound-er-4p-than-er-4s

Quote:

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #44 of 46
I am waiting for the Arrow.  Supposed to ship in November...  The impedance switch is one of the selling points to me - ER4P to S without an external adapter.  I also find that I am in love with crossfeed, hence another reason for the Arrow.

As for scaling with an amp - the ER4's scale quite remarkably!  I had a fairly profound experience with this earlier today:

I was listening as ER4P from the headphone out of my iPhone 3GS - not bad, but really thin and bass light (Rush "Moving Pictures" great bass, but not prominent in the mix).

I queued up the same song on my Headroom Ultra Desktop with Desktop Power Supply - way overkill you'd think - and plugged in through the P to S cable.  Sure the ER4's are still a bit bass light, especially compared to my D7000's or my departed Westone 3's, but wow - the bass is tight and present, the detail is more defined, the sound stage expanded a bit.  In short, they are transformed with the upgrade in source and amp.

I am hoping the Arrow will mimic this result portably.  I am also looking for an improved portable source - figures, 6 months ago I sold a perfectly good DIYmod for a bargain, along with the LOD's I had...

If I can get to 90% or 95% of the sound portably, I may rethink my move from IEM and portable to desktop listening, as I don't get to just sit and listen as much as I'd like.

Wow, bit of an off topic ramble there - BAck to topic - Waiting for an Arrow, and boy do the Ety's scale well!

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #45 of 46
One of the best features of the Stepdance is the gain setting which in low is excellent with IEM's (Westone 2, TripleFi 10, eve the OK1). So I do not see how some are saying the amp is to loud, btw I listen at very low levels.

aamefford, the Ety's pair excellently with the MiniBox-E+ as well as the PA2V2 and the TTVJ Millet Portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back