Portable amp for Etymotic ER4S?
Sep 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

ianmedium

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Folks.

I am currently really enjoying my new ER4S's through Gary's PA2V2. Plenty of power for the Ety's. I also have a Nuforce icon mobile but have found it not powerful enough to drive them well.

I am considering an upgrade of amp and wanting suggestions as to what would be a good portable amp for these phones. My source is an ipod classic with silvercab LOD and lossless files.

I can go up to $200-$220

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 46
I've just ordered a Stepdance from Meier Audio. Was fairly happy with my Headsix driving the ER-4 but wanted an upgrade. The Stepdance is over your budget, though. You could always consider Meier's Corda 3Move amp, very well reviewed. Jan's customer service is excellent as well.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 46
Second that. 3MOVE drives ER4S really well. With Stepdance on the market, you should be able to find cheap 3MOVE in the for sale forum easily.
Quote:
I've just ordered a Stepdance from Meier Audio. Was fairly happy with my Headsix driving the ER-4 but wanted an upgrade. The Stepdance is over your budget, though. You could always consider Meier's Corda 3Move amp, very well reviewed. Jan's customer service is excellent as well.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 46
If you can find one used, the Xin amps are good. FWIR, the Minibox E+ has awesome synergy with the ER-4S. It was made with the ER-4S in mind. However, it is a older design...

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 46
Thanks so much for all your suggestions folks, now the fun part, exploring all of them!

I have always been tempted by RSA Audio, seems like a good firm, it is above my budget but I could stretch!

The mini box sounds very interesting and i have no problem buying used, will do some more research on them.
Thanks again guys, what a great forum this is!

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 46
Actually just did a google on the minibox and see the ES version is now for sale, does this one have the same synergy and design base for the ETY's?

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 46

Quote:
Actually just did a google on the minibox and see the ES version is now for sale, does this one have the same synergy and design base for the ETY's?

I haven't heard that much about the ES Version. If you look on Head-Direct's website you see information about the Minibox ES. But as far as I can see, all the information (and pictures) for the ES version are identical to the information (and pictures) for the old E+ Version.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 46
Just a word of advise on the Minibox E+. The ER4S is a relatively high impedance IEM so it matches well with the E+. However if you get a lower impedance IEM in the future, you can only use the E+ volume control a little bit up and it gets very loud quickly. It doesn't have a gain switch. And you might also hear some channel imbalance.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
or you can get an RSA tomahawk, very long battery life, very good for IEMs. great combo with ER4S

totally agree: the Tomahawk is wonderful with the ER4 either P or S variety.  Had the Minibox E+ but found it to be a bit "quirky" and broke twice and had to send back to Fang.  Just prefer Samuels' amps for design and construction.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 46
I really appreciate all the advice. I am looking at all the options now, this is the fun bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back