Portable Amp - Ety MC5
Oct 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

arda

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to portable amps.

I have got Sony walkman A846 - Ety MC5. I am thinking of getting a small portable amps to improve the sound.

I'm wondering what would be good small portable amps for my need. My budget is under $200 .

I'm listening to Jazz (vocal) and Acoustic more than anything

Any help - suggestions are much appreciated

Thanks

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 6
I just purchased a used pair of ER4's, which are virtually the same as the HF's but with (supposedly) hand matched drivers.  I am about to convince myself to purchase and wait for a Headstage Arrow (not shipping until November...), as it has an impedance switch that accomplishes the same as the P to S cable, and is well liked by its owners.  It runs $265.  If I had $200 to spend, I'd probably buy a used RSA tomahawk - great with IEM's and runs for like 400 hours on a couple of AAA batteries.  I bought and sold a mint one for $180 a couple of years ago.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the Quick reply guys.

The pa2v2 seems nice option - I don't mind spending abit more as long as I get better quality.

Any further suggestions are very much appreciated.

I'm looking at those 2 suggestions now while waiting for others as well to see what my options are .

Thanks again.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 6
^ The PA2V2 is a nice amp, but it is not very portable -- much bigger than your Sony player.  If you want a small form either the iBasso T3 or T4 are nice amps.  I have the T4 matched with my MC5, and I use the bass boost which adds a touch of bottom end warmth.  The T3 has 3 gain switches, but no bass boost switch. 

If you buy from iBasso, expect a slow 2-3 week delivery to make it out of the deep recesses of Chinese customs!

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 6

aamefford said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just purchased a used pair of ER4's, which are virtually the same as the HF's but with (supposedly) hand matched drivers.  I am about to convince myself to purchase and wait for a Headstage Arrow (not shipping until November...), as it has an impedance switch that accomplishes the same as the P to S cable, and is well liked by its owners.  It runs $265.  If I had $200 to spend, I'd probably buy a used RSA tomahawk - great with IEM's and runs for like 400 hours on a couple of AAA batteries.  I bought and sold a mint one for $180 a couple of years ago.

It's very valuable, Thanks for your analysis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back