portable amp/dac with android phone?
May 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kjozsa

New Head-Fier
I'm into buying a FiiO E7 in the near future. My question is, would it be possible to also use with my Motorola Defy android phone? Of course ideally it'd get used as a DAC instead of the Defy's lower quality sound chip.. I tried to search on the topic but did not find much, but praises of the Galaxy S which did not help much :)

Is it possible to either get a line out or connect the DAC via USB? I wonder how people solve this problem, or everyone's going with a dedicated music player instead?

May 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not familiar with your particular handset so don't know about a line out. I can tell you that you won't be able to use the DAC section of the fiio through the USB. That function is unfortunately reserved for use from a PC

May 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I'm into buying a FiiO E7 in the near future. My question is, would it be possible to also use with my Motorola Defy android phone? Of course ideally it'd get used as a DAC instead of the Defy's lower quality sound chip.. I tried to search on the topic but did not find much, but praises of the Galaxy S which did not help much :)

Is it possible to either get a line out or connect the DAC via USB? I wonder how people solve this problem, or everyone's going with a dedicated music player instead?

Heya,

I have a droid incredible and I use a Vivid V1 DAC/AMP. Most `phones' simply don't have "line out" or a dock connection (LOD) for output to something else. They just have a headphone jack. I get more volume out of my droid with my V1 on my Senny HD580's, a lot more. And my IEM's really get loud, I can't even max volume on those because it gets too loud (yet still sounds good). The DAC in the phone isn't bad. It currently works fine for me. I can play FLAC/WAV just fine, and I stream Pandora One too (quality is 192kbps but it still sounds good for streaming content). It works. Some of my music seems like the volume is just too low though and there's nothing so far I've found to fix that (supposed to be an issue with it being a headphone jack to amp to headphones instead of a proper line out). I've tried apps for the droid to increase volume beyond stock and some work, but the sound gets distorted so I'm not using apps at this point.

Overall, after using my amp with my droid, I'm looking to get a sansa fuze. I want something dedicated. I found out real quick what it means to try to burn battery of my phone on FLAC playback while also using it to check the web, txt, etc.

Very best,

May 20, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 4
I understand you're trying to get around the low-end dac built in on the phone but I can't think of any dac/amps that are USB compatible with android phones. I'm using the FiiO E5 with my Samsung Galaxy Prevail and it's working out great. Directly connected to the phone, my ES7's sound pretty good, but with the E5 added, it really allows them to be driven properly and approach their true ability. I'm sure the E7 would sound a little bit better, but I personally don't have any experience with that unit.

If you're strapped for cash, I would honestly check out the E5 first and see what you think. It's only $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back