PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #139 of 4,858
Am I missing something here? Is he going to remaster from the original recordings and release them in hi-rez? If he's just going to make currently releases available in hi-rez a lot of people will be very disappointed. Im trying to think of an application that player is suitable for where you can also tell any difference between 256k and hi-rez.

Are you supposed to use it in a listening room with 1000 dollar IEMs? 

I heard they'll have a function where you switch between hi-rez and "low-res". That should cause a lot of amusement.

If however everythings getting remastered AND those remasters are not available elsewhere then this could be big. But we'll see. Young talking about mp3s having only "5% of the data" does not reassure me.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #142 of 4,858
  Am I missing something here? Is he going to remaster from the original recordings and release them in hi-rez? If he's just going to make currently releases available in hi-rez a lot of people will be very disappointed. Im trying to think of an application that player is suitable for where you can also tell any difference between 256k and hi-rez.

Are you supposed to use it in a listening room with 1000 dollar IEMs? 

I heard they'll have a function where you switch between hi-rez and "low-res". That should cause a lot of amusement.

If however everythings getting remastered AND those remasters are not available elsewhere then this could be big. But we'll see. Young talking about mp3s having only "5% of the data" does not reassure me.

As Michael Lavorgna of www.audiostream.com because he is going to interview Neil Young about it soon!

http://www.audiostream.com/content/hello-neil-young

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #143 of 4,858
  1,000-2,000 high resolution albums… 128GB… something does not add up here…

So an album will be between 120 and 240 MB. So it cant be lossless 96/24, cant it? 

As Michael Lavorgna of www.audiostream.com because he is going to interview Neil Young about it soon!

http://www.audiostream.com/content/hello-neil-young

Looking forward to that. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #148 of 4,858
What I already like about this player is the fact that the image accompanying every article, displays the Dire Straits. And boy, do I like Dire Straits. Awaiting my X5, but do hope this will be something decent. More awareness for sound quality is never a bad thing.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #149 of 4,858
  What I already like about this player is the fact that the image accompanying every article, displays the Dire Straits. And boy, do I like Dire Straits. Awaiting my X5, but do hope this will be something decent. More awareness for sound quality is never a bad thing.

And shows "unknown artist" on the second line of each entry - as if there may be a tagging or tag-reading problem that they can't even get right for the PR shots - shows a really thorough and thought-out approach :wink:

Cheers,

Andy

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #150 of 4,858
  And shows "unknown artist" on the second line of each entry - as if there may be a tagging or tag-reading problem that they can't even get right for the PR shots - show a really thorough and thought-out approach :wink:

Cheers,

Andy

Even Pono should just know what songs are Dire Straits'. But that's pretty lame indeed. I sincerely hope they will develop a new chocolate bar.
Something like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back