PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #121 of 4,858
Quote:
It looks more like they are aiming for the wall.

Or something else..? 
ph34r.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #131 of 4,858
New Facebook update today

Main points being they will have a redesigned case. Hopefully not another toberone shape.

They will release in 2014.

Best of all they will also have a website full of high res music tracks to buy.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #132 of 4,858
 To everyone who loves music –

I’m very happy to bring you some good news. All of us at Team PONO have been focused on getting everything right for our early 2014 launch of Pono. 

The simplest way to describe what we’ve accomplished is that we’ve liberated the music of the artist from the digital file and restored it to its original artistic quality - as it was in the studio. So it has primal power.

Hearing PONO for the first time is like that first blast of daylight when you leave a movie theater on a sun-filled day. It takes you a second to adjust. Then you enter a bright reality, of wonderfully rendered detail.

This music moves you. So you can feel. That’s why so many musicians are behind PonoMusic – this is important work that honors their art. This is the way they wanted you to hear their music. 

PONO starts at the source: artist-approved studio masters we’ve been given special access to. Then we work with our brilliant partners at Meridian to unlock the richness of the artist’s music to you. There is nothing like hearing this music - and we are working hard to make that experience available to all music lovers, soon. 

Our mission is also to make PONO just as accessible as any music you buy and listen to today. So we’ll be launching both the PONO portable player – an updated version of the one I showed on David Letterman’s program – and an online library, with all your favorite music available in PonoMusic quality. Everything you need to feel music anew.

Stay tuned for more updates. And be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest information. We hope you’ll try PONO when it comes your way, and that it brings you the soul of music.

Yours, for PonoMusic –
Neil Young

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #133 of 4,858
"This music moves you. So you can feel. That’s why so many musicians are behind PonoMusic – this is important work that honors their art. This is the way they wanted you to hear their music."

Sounds kind of high to me. Can't wait to see the new case and to hear it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #134 of 4,858
    I've been reading about PONO, Hi-res files and the loudness wars for the past week or so. I even downloaded Foobar's dynamic range tool just to see the differences between FLACs ripped from my older CDs (released in the 90's: the Doors, Pearl Jam, Beatles), an more recent CD and remasters that I purchased as replacements.Now I want to compare a couple of albums I own on both Vinyl and CD, through my very non-audiophile system. 
    The compression issue is very interesting. There's definitely a quantifiable issue. Can I hear it? I don't know. But it's definitely something that's effecting the listening experience for everyone. Even for those of us that don't realize it because we're not paying attention. The Hi-res issue seems more debateable and the environment needed to even possibly appreciate the improvement seems to be out of my reach and the reach of so many others.
    I'm rambling on because I've gotten the sense, from reading about PONO, that there's an extreme bias against digital formats, from CD to mp3, that seems to be the overriding drive behind creating a Hi-Rez ecosystem. But there seem to be a huge issue regarding how albums are being mastered. I keep reading that CD is a more capable container for music than Vinyl, but the mastering is often highly compressed, so the Vinyl master sounds better. That compression carries forward to lossy formats that are usually ripped from CDs. But, if you buy a glass from Amazon, and it arrives broken, do you blame the box?
    It seems to be that the better discussion should be around changing the loudness culture at the source, creating CDs that are more dynamic, creating lossy versions that are more dynamic. That's how Neil Young can bring better sounding music to more people. Otherwise he's bringing better sounding music to Audiophiles and Technophiles. There's nothing wrong with that. It would be nice if Audiophiles had a place with they can more comfortably and easily purchase music they could trusts was Hi-res and well produced.
    I feel, as a music lover who does care about my listening experience but isn't able to take the leap into Audiophile territory, that CDs and lossy downloads are how most folks, casual listeners, and music lovers like myself, experience music. If mastering is such and issue, then there's a lot of room for improvements in those formats. If the focus is saving the sound of music and improving how we all experience it, then that market can't be ignored.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #135 of 4,858
Brickwalled albums are very obvious and a lot of the time even clip in a way that makes the music very uncomfortable to listen to. Ever wonder why a certain album might give you a headache within minutes? Well it happens to me and other ppl I've talked to with brickwalled albums, and this has always happened to me even before I knew anything about music engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back